Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

do you need another anchor line if you have an anchor buddy?

scott_fx

for those that have the anchor buddy, do you have an additional longer (~100ft) line on board? or is the anchor buddy all you use?

Yea, I have 100' of anchor line plus the Anchor Buddy, a Sandspike & a fluke anchor.

I put the Anchor Buddy on the anchor. Then I pull the boat up to the shore, bow out. I set the anchor so the boat is in deeper water. Then back the boat up so the swim platform is facing shore. I tie the rope on the transom, and throw the rest in to shore. We tie the rope on a tree or use the Sandspike so the boat is sitting with just a little tension on the anchor/Anchor Buddy. Then just pull the boat into shore & wade out till you can jump on the swim platform. If you let go, the boat will pull out to deeper water. Or you can tie the rope off at that length to hold the boat where it's at.

1_To%20Shore_Small.jpg

2_%20Away%20From%20Shore_Small.jpg

Yea, I have 100' of anchor line plus the Anchor Buddy, a Sandspike & a fluke anchor.

I put the Anchor Buddy on the anchor. Then I pull the boat up to the shore, bow out. I set the anchor so the boat is in deeper water. Then back the boat up so the swim platform is facing shore. I tie the rope on the transom, and throw the rest in to shore. We tie the rope on a tree or use the Sandspike so the boat is sitting with just a little tension on the anchor/Anchor Buddy. Then just pull the boat into shore & wade out till you can jump on the swim platform. If you let go, the boat will pull out to deeper water. Or you can tie the rope off at that length to hold the boat where it's at.

1_To%20Shore_Small.jpg

thanks for the reply.. but what i meant was.. is the anchor buddy ever not usable where you'd nned a longer rope instead?

I use the anchor buddy with a 45' safety line running parallel with the bungee. Then I have a 50' segment of extra line to add on if it is extra deep. Don't forget to have some type of float to attache to the achor buddy so you don't loose it.

You will also need 50’ segment of line to tie the boat off from the stern to the shore.

1_To%20Shore_Small.jpg

thanks for the reply.. but what i meant was.. is the anchor buddy ever not usable where you'd nned a longer rope instead?

Is the only reason you do it with the bow facing out so you can hop on the swim platform when you pull it in?

Anchoring off the stern is generally never a great idea (unless guaranteed of very, very calm conditions). It is always preferable to have the incoming waves strike the bow of the boat first.

I use the anchor buddy with a 45' safety line running parallel with the bungee.

Plus1.gif + that way you can retrieve your anchor by pulling it up with the line instead of stretching the snot out of your Anchor buddy.

Anchoring off the stern is generally never a great idea (unless guaranteed of very, very calm conditions). It is always preferable to have the incoming waves strike the bow of the boat first.

Yes.gif Having the swimstep for easy access is just an added benefit.

I keep a good size mooring bouy attached to the top end of the Anchor Buddy. That way if it slips out of my hand I'm not at the store buying a new anchor, Anchor Buddy, safety line,... :Doh:

In deeper water. We will take the Malibu to the hydroplane races on Sammamish or Washington. And we might be anchoring in deep water that might be 100' or more deep. So I usually pack along whatever I might need, just in case.

Is the only reason you do it with the bow facing out so you can hop on the swim platform when you pull it in?

It's also so that when waves come in, the hit the bow & slide on by. If they hit the stern, they will push the boat inland.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • 3 weeks later...

I keep an extra 100ft'er around just in case. Also the buoy on the bow end of the buddy has saved me twice!

I have how ever drove off twice with the line still on the bow, you never know until it's too late. Cry.gif

Gets spend after awhile.......

It's a good idea to back the boat to shore... however here on the Colorado river the water level drops 10ft every afternoon. got to watch it or you'll be spending some good money to replace broken parts.... Cry.gif Just call it voice of experience. So with that I anchor upstream with 25ft of rope, a sand anchor on shore (also up stream) so the bow sits in about 30 in of water. the boat sits at an angle to shore, that way no one has to swim to the boat, and we don't have to watch the water level so closely. :)

Edited by Kingazjay

The water level drop is what made me start using this system. I've had sevral bow riders and alway beached them with no worries. After spending sevral years out help people unbeach there boats(from water dropping or other boat traffic).

I had that thing in my boat for about a year before I ever realy gave it a shot. With the new BU it's a MUST!

Plus1.gif + that way you can retrieve your anchor by pulling it up with the line instead of stretching the snot out of your Anchor buddy.

I keep a good size mooring bouy attached to the top end of the Anchor Buddy. That way if it slips out of my hand I'm not at the store buying a new anchor, Anchor Buddy, safety line,... :Doh:

What he said and if you do loose the line, just grab a beer, your buddys anchor and start dregging for your at the bottom of the lake. May take a little bit but with a beer in hand all is good. Thumbup.gif

What he said and if you do loose the line, just grab a beer, your buddys anchor and start dregging for your at the bottom of the lake. May take a little bit but with a beer in hand all is good. Thumbup.gif

That was a good time! Thumbup.gif

I only use my buoyed anchor buddy when I'm getting off the boat hanging out in the dirt, like the picture above. other then that I use a solid anchor line so I don't drift/stretch into another boat or object. Carry another solid anchor line.