Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Owner with No Clue

2008-247-RX

New to the Malibu Crew...new to owning a boat, but I went all-out and sought out a Malibu...soon to be the proud owner of a 2008 Wakesetter 247 RX, that we're buying from the factory as their 1st "Boat of the Week".

It was the RX they used for their promos & brouchure. I had wanted a 247 LSV, but the deal they made me on this boat...I couldn't pass up.

Just a few questions:

1 - what are the few "musts" I need to know before I put my family of 5 into this boat? e.g. Safety, docking, start-up, etc.

2 - want to slalom, wakeboard, and surf - any suggestions on ropes & equipment for a newbie? Also, I have 3 sons aged 5-11 that will have their 1st time on the H20 behind a boat, so equipment suggestions for them would be helpful.

3 - musts to consider when I leave the water, and put it in storage after each use

Thanks...I'm asking a lot, but I don't want to spoil the great reputation, and great brand I'll soon be sporting on my local lake.

I appreciate it!

Brew a pot of coffee and start reading. :lol:

Do you know someone that has experience driving an inboard? It is different from any other drive system. A search of driving techniques will yield some good tips. Same with newbie equip.

Be safe and have fun. Congrats on your new dinghy. Thumbup.gif

Be sure to wipe her down after every use to keep her purty. :)

New to the Malibu Crew...new to owning a boat, but I went all-out and sought out a Malibu...soon to be the proud owner of a 2008 Wakesetter 247 RX, that we're buying from the factory as their 1st "Boat of the Week".

It was the RX they used for their promos & brouchure. I had wanted a 247 LSV, but the deal they made me on this boat...I couldn't pass up.

Just a few questions:

1 - what are the few "musts" I need to know before I put my family of 5 into this boat? e.g. Safety, docking, start-up, etc.

2 - want to slalom, wakeboard, and surf - any suggestions on ropes & equipment for a newbie? Also, I have 3 sons aged 5-11 that will have their 1st time on the H20 behind a boat, so equipment suggestions for them would be helpful.

3 - musts to consider when I leave the water, and put it in storage after each use

Thanks...I'm asking a lot, but I don't want to spoil the great reputation, and great brand I'll soon be sporting on my local lake.

I appreciate it!

Congrats on your purchase.

Not sure if you've driven an inboard before, but they can handle quite different from an I/O or outboard. Make sure you familiarize yourself with the features of this boat and it's cockpit. I would highly recommend spending a day going through the boat. You need to read the owners manuel and watch your Owner's DVD. After that head to the lake with a friend who also has some experience with an inboard. You are going to need to practice without the kids around.

Practice docking, loading and unloading. Many of these techniques are described in the DVD, on youtube and forum discussions here.

This website is very useful with experienced people to offer opinions.

I would also recommend hitting the water the first time with the fam for the first time, on a day of the week that your lake is not packed to lower your stress level.

When you put it in or trailer it get in a routine or checklist mentality so you don't forget things like drain plugs, rear tie downs and checking battery charge, etc., prior to heading out.

One simple thing to do when you leave the water with it is to get you a shammy. I use one sold at Wal-Mart called the Absorber. I've had them for years and they never wear out. Once at the top of the ramp after you secure your boat wipe it off. It will keep it looking much cleaner and get rid of water spots.

Also, let the rear compartments air out once home for a day to decrease mildew.

Read this sites forums and you will hear many other pieces of valuable information.

Don't forget your owner's manuel an DVD.

Have fun, that's going to be a great boat.

Just a few questions:

I appreciate it!

Welcome to the Crew and congrats on the new boat purchase.

The very first thing is read all the owners/safety manuals that come with the boat, and ask your dealer to take you and your spouse for a demo ride to explain how the boat operates.

Read as much info on this site as possible. You can use the search engine to look up topics. There are many lenghty discussions regarding boat safety, launching and recovering, how to pull a rider, docking, boat storage, etc.

check ou this list on the crew gear list it will help buy many of the items you will need to make boating more enjoyable.

Once again congrats!

:werule:

congrats on your new boat. Take a safe boating course for sure. Start out slow. Take a few cruises, get familiar with your boat, find out how it handles.

As far as towing the little ones behind the boat, I started by kids out on simple stuff that any kid can do, tubes and then knee boards. They were so small they could kneel on the board and it would not sink. Start out slow so they don't have a bad experience and work your speed up. Before you know it they will be into wakeboarding and surfing skiing.

Congrats!

This

http://www.boat-ed.com/wa/handbook/pdf_index

links to the Washington Boaters Handbook. It covers all of the basics related to safety and rules of the waterways. Read it, know it live it. (OK tell me what movie that is from, or close enough) It actually has a lot of good information. Read it, and follow everyone else's advice here also! Its all good. :werule:

Edit - it applies to all 50 states, although some specifics are Washington law, nothing you shouldn't be doing anyhow.

Edited by TheBlackPearl

Welcome.

Nice boat. If it is not obvious you should know that the direct drive configuration will give you a better water ski wake than the v-drives and not as good a wakeboard wake. That's OK by me as I much prefer skiing to wakeboarding. I think you got the right engine also as the 8.1 won't work as hard moving your 247. My dad told me at an early age that there is no substitute for cubic inches in a boat.

My best advice is to visit this site frequently as every topic is covered ad nauseum (sic) and then re-discussed a month later.

Boat ramp etiquette is paramount in my view. When you go to launch your boat make sure that everything is ready to go before you are at the waterline. Do all your transfer and loading away from the ramp in the parking lot. Do leave your winch rope attached until your boat is at the water so that it does not drop off the trailer. Same thing at the takeout. Move the boat away from the ramp to take care of people and gear transfer, wipedown, etc.

As it turns out there are hundreds of things you can do to improve your boating pleasure and plenty of things you need to do to prevent problems. Most important of all is be careful. When in doubt go slow and do the most prudent thing. Visit this site and it will all be covered.

Boating is the best family thing we still do together. I'm 63 and grew up around boats since age 6. It is the common bond I had with my late father and now have with my son. We have an annual tradition of a ten day boating campout with 3 other families that started in 1984. We have 3 generations now and with other assorted friends we have between 25 to 45 folks show up for a day or for a week. We all live in different towns now but we get together every year and is a major fabric of our lifetime experience.

Edited by DONTW8
Welcome Clap.gif

Where are you located?

We're in beautiful Lubbock Texas (don't be jealous). Not many lakes close by, but close enough (Buffalo Springs Lake & Lake Allen Henry). Hoping we can move to the Dallas-Ft.Worth area or Austin, down the road, but for now, we'll take what we can get.

welcome!

we were all gossiping about this boat earlier: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....oat+of+the+week

Thanks for the link to the posts...Brutal! You'd think I'd bought a AMC Pacer.

Being a 1st-time owner, I don't think I could've gotten more boat for the money. We had shopped 23 & 24-foot LSV's, and I had to drive a 1200-mile round-trip to find a few...great deals out of Daryl Moore Malibu in Houston (we got them down to selling a few of their new inventory 08's for $59.5K) and were about to pull the trigger on those when my wife stumbled across this deal on-line.

I have 3 boys, and to have 3 seating areas on this boat makes it easy for me to "keep em' separated". Also, being 43 years of age, I am an old slalom skier, and to have a mid-engine boat will allow for me to have a decent wake to ski behind (I think), plus enough to catapult my kids into orbit on their wakeboards (once they learn).

Bottom line - I don't plan to join the pro tour anytime soon, or try to sell it. Just a boat I wanted (at a price I could afford), that I can keep in the family for the next 10-15 years, so it fit the bill for me. PLUS - they put on a black Illusion tower, so it matches my school colors (Texas Tech), and...I can guarantee I won't run into another one like it on this lake, or anyone in the next 15 States, so it's definitely "unique" :)

You all have been great with the comments and suggestions.

BU Crew - wanted to thank each of you for taking time to provide me suggestions on getting my feet wet. I truly appreciate that. Will take all to heart, and look forward to sharing our family's experiences with the rest of you. Get ready for a great Summer all!

Welcome.gif

Always Nice to have another texas bu owner!!! Give us a shout if you come down this way!!!

TX W J - thanks for the invite...haven't been to Lake Whitney, but viewed it on-line...beautiful! It looks like a great place to live & play. Will let you know if we come your way. Have a great Summer.