Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help with Cruise speed variations

cyoda44

Were you skiing with speed mode? If your going much above 26-27 MPH you should be in RPM mode

-Chris

We use RPM mode ALL the time. When the boat is in MPH mode, the surging the system does as it goes thru corners or when the rider cuts is a PITA.

Were you skiing with speed mode? If your going much above 26-27 MPH you should be in RPM mode

-Chris

We use RPM mode ALL the time. When the boat is in MPH mode, the surging the system does as it goes thru corners or when the rider cuts is a PITA.

I have PP and I never take it off RPM mode.

You will get better speed modulation with a lower pitch prop. With the load you are talking about your engine may be lugging somewhat at that speed. By switching to a lower pitch prop your engine will be turning 200 to 600 rpm's more and be more in it's power band and therefore able to hold the exact speed better.

Think of it this way. If you're driving uphill pulling a load in your truck and you shift down to 4th gear from 5th gear you are able to hold the exact speed easier.

I suspect this is the answer to the question. An LCR in that boat with 9 adults....get an OJ 468 & be done with it.

I am with Wgirl on this one.

I have driven without speed control, pretty easy just use RPM's vs. the speedo.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone had a problem with the cruise speed varing alot.

Situation was.... I picked up my new VTX last Saturday. It has a LCR 320 and an acme 537 prop. My wife was wakeboarding at 18mph and the cruise was all over the place. Varing from 20 to 17 mph. As I was driving you could hear the engine rev's going up and down drastically. When she finished her shortened run "could not take the constant change in speed" she ask if I had not turned on the cruise. "she sometimes forgets to turn on the cruise for me"

The boat was loaded fairly well with 9 adults.

I ask my dealer if there was an adjustment for the cruise and was told there was not one.

My question is.... How can I fix this problem?

I took my 2009 VLX out for the first time yesterday and it was just my wife and I and the water was like glass the cruise control was out of control!!! The boat has a Hammerhead, 537 prop, empty ballast, and the wedge was up. It was horrible, there is no way I would ski with that!! Vomit.gif I will try the some of the suggestions that people have made, but when you pay as much as we pay for these boats you shouldn't have to switch to RPM's to get it to work, it should work either way. Mad.gif

Terry

Ditto - I ended up switching to the RPM mode, because the Speed mode was ridiculously bad. On the average, the speed would vary approximately 1.5 mph on either side of the desired speed. I previously had the Perfect Pass Wakeboard edition in my vRide and absolutely loved it.

You will get better speed modulation with a lower pitch prop. With the load you are talking about your engine may be lugging somewhat at that speed. By switching to a lower pitch prop your engine will be turning 200 to 600 rpm's more and be more in it's power band and therefore able to hold the exact speed better.

Think of it this way. If you're driving uphill pulling a load in your truck and you shift down to 4th gear from 5th gear you are able to hold the exact speed easier.

I suspect this is the answer to the question. An LCR in that boat with 9 adults....get an OJ 468 & be done with it.

I am with Wgirl on this one.

I have driven without speed control, pretty easy just use RPM's vs. the speedo.

That's not the point, my previous boats did not have cruise so I have been driving without cruise for 19 years. The point is, when you are buying a premium boat and paying a premium price they should work as expected. I didn't buy some entry level wakeboard boat, I bought what I consider a top of the line wakeboard boat. Anyway, mine goes into the shop tomorrow to replace the paddle wheel to see if it will fix the problem.

Terry