Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

any advice on my crappy situation?

spherren

I took my boat in for gel coat crack issues last year in early spring. The boat was still under warranty and I was told that all the cracks were caused by the factory not drilling the holes proper. 2 tower legs cracked, each screw hole on the windshield have cracked. The dealer stated to bring it back in the fall of 08 and they would repair everything under warranty. I dropped if off in September 08. Kept in touch through the winter, and was told it would be done by spring. Well, spring rolls around and I was told it would be done by easter. That week, another a reason that is was not done, be that they are having trouble matching the color ,it is off white. Maybe will be done in a week, called, got another excuse. Well now it has been a month, the dealer is 3 hours away so my brother was in that town and dropped in, took pictures and from what I see they havn't even started on some of the cracks. So it appears to me that they have been putting it off.

They have had it for 8 months, it was slow this winter, and now its the busy time of the year. Everytime I call I get a new excuse and no solid awnsers to when it will be done. Another issue is that the crack where the windshield screw were, cracked to the outside and to the inside down behind the seats. It appears that they are not fixing the cracks to the inside. I have spoken to the factory customer service and all they said they could do is call the dealer and ask what is taking so long.

The dealer, which I spoke to the owner today and he seemed that he didn't want to listen but more to tell me he would have the tech that is doing the repair call me to explain the repairs and answer any questions I have. I have not heard from him yet or customer service. From what has happen so far, I makes me feel they maybe in over their head on the repairs. If it is that they are just putting it off, then I would much rather hear that than they are having all these issues.

Any suggestions on what I should do, say or how I can handle the situation. I would be more understandable if they did'nt have my boat already for 8 months and have been putting it off.

I would like to add, they have treated me really good up tell now. I'm not trying to put them under the bus but get any suggestions to overcome the situation. Thanks

Sounds to me like the dealer maybe is not equipped to fix it, maybe they just do not know how to do it right. Better to not do it than to do it wrong. Maybe Malibu could refer you to someone that can fix it that is in reasonable distance.

Anyway, your situation definitely sucks, and losing water time too.

If you continue using the boat I imagine the damage will just get worse, but if the damage is already done maybe get an agreement in writing that they (Dealer and Malibu)will fix it at the end of this season so at least you could use the boat.

Sounds to me like the dealer maybe is not equipped to fix it, maybe they just do not know how to do it right. Better to not do it than to do it wrong. Maybe Malibu could refer you to someone that can fix it that is in reasonable distance.

Anyway, your situation definitely sucks, and losing water time too.

If you continue using the boat I imagine the damage will just get worse, but if the damage is already done maybe get an agreement in writing that they (Dealer and Malibu)will fix it at the end of this season so at least you could use the boat.

That is why I took it there last september so they had all winter to repair it. The tower, and windsield are already off and they have started on it. Im not sure what else I could do.

Honestly, the squeeky wheel gets oiled first...call them every day, every other day, whatever. Document every time you call, what they said and if they still drag their feet present everything to Malibu (just make sure you talk to someone important).

I would also set a date for your season to begin for the dealer, so they have a deadline.

-Chris

Honestly, the squeeky wheel gets oiled first...call them every day, every other day, whatever. Document every time you call, what they said and if they still drag their feet present everything to Malibu (just make sure you talk to someone important).

I would also set a date for your season to begin for the dealer, so they have a deadline.

-Chris

lol I already set a deadline, easter weekend, was told it would be done by then. I guess 8 months wasn't enough.

Oh, didn't know they started already.

I have heard some dealers not taking care of customers if they are far away, probably does not think he will get much referral business from you. Some of these dealers will definitely give priority to their local customers. Too bad there is not a closer dealer. My dealer is 10 minutes from my house, if I had this problem you can bet I would be showing up at his office everyday and I would definitely put a damper on his new sales.

Unfortunately it appears you have no leverage in this case. Perhaps you could offer a cash bonus to him if he meets a deadline.

Posting complaints and getting noisy is your best bet (also letter writing Pres of Malibu etc), give them the deadline then if they dont have it done pick it up and give them a small claims suit. Let them answer to a judge.

Edited by petemac

Try and start documenting all your correspondence with them and I would be totally upfront and let them know if they don't get on it you'll take legal action. I think you have been more than patient with them regardless of how they have treated you in the past this could go on another 6-8 months Whistling.gif

I come from the Fiberglass Industry, I owned a niche market manufacturing company and I can tell you there are very few GOOD Gel coat repair people. Most dealerships don't have the volume to keep someone like that on payroll. I wouldn't let my local dealer work on my boat, I sent it back to the TN plant. Ask you dealer if he is up to the task, if not get the boat and and look for a specialized glass company! Get Malibu involved and a letter from an attorney to the dealership will go a long way with the warranty issue.

i have spoke to my dealer, we have came to a agreement. Like I have said before, they have always treated me really well, I just posted this to get some advise incase it went sour. I will keep you posted on what happens. Thanks for the replys!

i have spoke to my dealer, we have came to a agreement. Like I have said before, they have always treated me really well, I just posted this to get some advise incase it went sour. I will keep you posted on what happens. Thanks for the replys!

Is it confidential? I'm kind of interested in what the result is...

Is it confidential? I'm kind of interested in what the result is...

The owner called me, we went though all the details up till now. Went over each repair and coverd my concerns. Set a deadline to have it done. I am happy with the way they handled the situation.