Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Horrible custom heater installation @ Tommy's

BuzzVRide777

I just took my boat to Tommy's Slalom Shop in Denver to have a heater installed at the driver's feet. I discussed in-depth with the install guy about placing the hot tube and the heater core as low on the bottom as possible because I am going to put a sub box above it. I even offered to send a picture of another boat that has had this done but he said that he understood exactly what I wanted. Then I go to pick it up and there is a hole up where the vinyl piece would be (piece was off) in the walk-through. This was definitely not what I wanted and I still need him to move the stuff to the bottom and now I'm going to be stuck with a 3 inch hole in the fiberglass in my walkway and the installer told me there was nothing he could do for me about this. I talked to him about atleast paying to have the vinyl piece re-upholstered so it would cover the hole and he agreed but now I'm starting to wonder if that should be enough because now I HAVE A HOLE IN MY FIBERGLASS THAT I DIDN"T WANT. I'm worried this may cause problems down the road and above all now I've got a huge hole in my fiberglass and they said basically that there is nothing they can do. Any ideas on what I can do for this? Shouldn't Tommy's be obligated to pay for this to be fixed.

Edited by BuzzVRide777
I just took my boat to Tommy's Slalom Shop in Denver to have a heater installed at the driver's feet. I discussed in-depth with the install guy about placing the hot tube and the heater core as low on the bottom as possible because I am going to put a sub box above it. I even offered to send a picture of another boat that has had this done but he said that he understood exactly what I wanted. Then I go to pick it up and there is a hole up where the vinyl piece would be (piece was off) in the walk-through. This was definitely not what I wanted and I still need him to move the stuff to the bottom and now I'm going to be stuck with a 3 inch hole in the fiberglass in my walkway and the installer told me there was nothing he could do for me about this. I talked to him about atleast paying to have the vinyl piece re-upholstered so it would cover the hole and he agreed but now I'm starting to wonder if that should be enough because now I HAVE A HOLE IN MY FIBERGLASS THAT I DIDN"T WANT. I'm worried this may cause problems down the road and above all now I've got a huge hole in my fiberglass and they said basically that there is nothing they can do. Any ideas on what I can do for this? Shouldn't Tommy's be obligated to pay for this to be fixed.

Well yes they should fix it but do you have any proof. If you're putting a sub box in there you actually want the heater as high up as possible that way the sub box fits under it. You don't want your sub pounding the back of your dash all day long.

So with the way it's installed now would it work to put the heater up high? This is the exact reason I do most everything myself.

Edited by 06vlx

I also bought my boat at Tommy's, and for as much as I like everyone that works there, it is not the most organized place I have ever been. They are the ones involved with my messed up trailer plates.

I am also waiting to see what shape my boat is after the winter. They had it for 2 months doing insurance repairs last fall, and they didn't find one of the problems I was having when I brought it in. Boat topped out at ~30mph and I could smell gas at idle. Hoping I don't get screwed on that one since the insurance deal is already settled. It has been stored since.....

I will say, that when my heater core busted, they bypassed it for me free of charge on a moments notice. As I said, great people, just a bit unorganized.

Good news, went to pick the boat up today and the shop head assured me that he would have the hole repaired when things slow down in the winter. They moved the heater and it looks like the mounting is going to work. Bad news, looks like someone may have set the heater core on the vinyl and now there are some scratches and shavings on the top of the rear seat and engine cover. May need to be re-upholstered I imagine. If this does happen won't the colors be different since the interior is white and I'm sure not as bright as when it came from the factory. Has anybody ever had to replace the upholstery?? Any trouble with it not matching the rest of the boat?

I know what you're saying about the people that work there, they have always been great. It just looks like some poor communication and someone getting in a hurry. Hopefully they make it right.

I wouldn't be so picky if they fix your upholstery for all the trouble you've been through I'd be happy that they are at least trying to make it right. Just enjoy the summer and I'm sure the interior will be close Thumbup.gif

Good news, went to pick the boat up today and the shop head assured me that he would have the hole repaired when things slow down in the winter. They moved the heater and it looks like the mounting is going to work. Bad news, looks like someone may have set the heater core on the vinyl and now there are some scratches and shavings on the top of the rear seat and engine cover. May need to be re-upholstered I imagine. If this does happen won't the colors be different since the interior is white and I'm sure not as bright as when it came from the factory. Has anybody ever had to replace the upholstery?? Any trouble with it not matching the rest of the boat?

I know what you're saying about the people that work there, they have always been great. It just looks like some poor communication and someone getting in a hurry. Hopefully they make it right.

Dude that shop sounds like a trainwreck. Note to self stay FAR FAR AWAY from Tommy's. Sounds like a bunch of morons to me. Maybe I'm just spoiled by my local dealer Bakes Dontknow.gif .

All is well. Took the boat back to have them fix the upholstry. They used some cleaner on it and it took it right out. The seats look like nothing happened to them. I feel much better about the situation. The service department at Tommy's treated me very well in fixing all of the issues that arose while my boat was in the shop. I was very pleased with the way things turned out considering all of the problems that we had. Dave was very helpful in resolving the issues that came up.

• 1 month later...

I too have had my ups and downs with Tommys since moving to Colorado from Calfornia where I was spoiled by Tillys Marine. However, after having a long Saturday afternoon just before closing kind of conversation with Tommy himself, I can truly say that he and his organization have gone the extra mile for me whenever needed. I will admit I am very careful to set them up for success whenver I need something done by careful planning on my part. But when the dust settles at the end of the day. Tommy is a man of his word and the treatment I have recieved reflects this.

I cannot speak for dealers such as Bakes. But here is Colorado where the season is limited and the dealer by comparison is small in size for service and sales volume, Tommys seems to do a good job for customers. He has put a lot of effort into his recent remodel and the expanded pro shop which was really good before is now the best around for this state. There is very little that he does not carry in watersports accessories. Boat inventory is usually pretty decent for a dealer of his volume level.

Tommys for years has provided new RLXIs to our ski club in Western Colorado and has provided awesome lakeside service for us even though we are over three and one half hours away. This club boat runs all day everyday during the season. If ever anything went wrong, Tommys group responded with either same day or next day service to get us up and skiing again. Says a lot about a dealers attitude when you recieve assitance like that on a repeated basis. When the new RLXI came out in '07 they were not the boat to beat for those of us running at high altitude. Tommys jumped in to help and sent over props, parts, service people and even an Indmar guy to help us get the boat up to reasonable tournament level performance.

I have a lot of respect for a guy who tires like hell to correct a situation without giving you get a bunch of excuses as to why something is not going to meet the required expectations. It just goes to show you that if you make someone of integrity aware of a situation and give them a chance to work it out, the results of this will often times exceed your expectations. Such is the case for Tommys Slalom Shop in Denver, CO

MMF

Edited by multiplemalibufamily