Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

loose bearing noise at iddle speed

Looking for advise on problem identification related to loose bearing noise (may be something else) at iddle speed. Noise is coming from the back of the engine (or front of transmssion). Noise is always there (ie: engine cold or hot and in neutral or in gear). Noise change a bit when in gear but instantly dissapear when RPM is above 800.

Thanks

I've had my Perfect Pass solenoid (which is hose clamped to the engine coolant hose in the rear, above the muffler on my Vride) spin into the upper pulley / harmonic balancer. The metal on metal noise sounded horrible, changed at different RPMS & might sound like a bearing was going bad. I just rotated the solenoid away from it, and zip tied it so it wouldn't do it again.

What boat are you talking about?

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
damper plate is my guess.

Plus1.gif

Yep, damper plate would be my guess as well. My boat did the same thing and it used to drive me nuts. The plate will make that noise if the engine is running rough or the springs them self are worn or loose.

I have to say I am a little green in terms of boat engines and also I am french so some technical words are missing from my glossary. What is a damper plate and where is it located.

Thanks

I have a similar noise coming from the front of my motor. The sound gets better when I tighten the alternator against the belt but does not go away. Year after year it appears to get a bit worse. Could this be a bad bearing or is it just the belt or something else?

I have a similar noise coming from the front of my motor. The sound gets better when I tighten the alternator against the belt but does not go away. Year after year it appears to get a bit worse. Could this be a bad bearing or is it just the belt or something else?

pull the belt and run it for a SHORT period of time to see if your noise goes away.

pull the belt and run it for a SHORT period of time to see if your noise goes away.

I was wondering if I could do that. Is the only purpose of that belt to run the alternator? Is the top pully just the water pump? Thanks.

Yes, belt drives water pump as well as alternator. That is why the comment to run for SHORT period of time. You'll know in a matter of seconds whether it's elimated noise or not. If no noise, after engine is off, Spin alternator by hand & listen for any squealing noise. If none, you could also put a socket & extension in a drill and spin faster for same test. If no noise from alt., you could also spin engine water pump and listen for same noise.

Yes, belt drives water pump as well as alternator. That is why the comment to run for SHORT period of time. You'll know in a matter of seconds whether it's elimated noise or not. If no noise, after engine is off, Spin alternator by hand & listen for any squealing noise. If none, you could also put a socket & extension in a drill and spin faster for same test. If no noise from alt., you could also spin engine water pump and listen for same noise.

If its coming from the rear of the engine (bell housing area) its more than likely the damper plate. The thread above is the thread on what I had to do to fix the problem. It's not that difficult unless you are mechanically challenged. ie. if the dealer does all your maintenance because you don't feel you can do it then dont try this. :unsure: