Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Tracking Fin Loose How to tighten???

My front tracking fins front bolt is loose on my 2000 vlx. I thought I would be able to tighten it by removing hatch in floor however this is the first time I had pulled that up and found the gas tank filling the entire area. Does the tank have to be removed to tighten the fin? Does not look like an easy job. Any help appreciated.

ICBW but I believe that they are just screwed in from underneath. That way if you hit something they'll pull the screws out without ripping a huge hole in the bottom of the boat, which is what would happen if they were put on with bolts, nuts, washers,...

Crawl underneath and give it a look. Mine are on with flathead, slotted screws. I pulled one once just to see as I am considering adding a third tracking fin to my Sporty (it came with only two).

Bummer. It's odd that they'd use two different systems in the same year. Sorry I can't be of more help. Someone else well chime in with helpful info. Good luck. :)

My front tracking fins front bolt is loose on my 2000 vlx.  I thought I would be able to tighten it by removing hatch in floor however this is the first time I had pulled that up and found the gas tank filling the entire area.  Does the tank have to be removed to tighten the fin?  Does not look like an easy job.  Any help appreciated.

I think that I remember reading at some point that there was a model that required the gas tank to be removed to install new fins. I'd bet that's the case here, although ICBW.

I'm positive the tank has to come out on our SS VLX. What I'm not sure of though is if the tank will come right out, or if you have to remove the v-drive to get the tank out. That would be adding insult to injury. I dinked one of mine on a rock bed and I can tell the front one is no longer in-line with the back one looking down boat centerline. No fiberglass damage, and I can't feel any affect on handling, so I guess I will leave it alone for now. Let me know what you find for sure.

Edited by vette-ski

I looked down a Response once that was parked next to me and those looked in line vs. mine. I can definitely tell the front corner is dinged and you can feel a kink in the fin that isn't supposed to be there.

they're not perfectly in-line.

On the V drives, the gas tank has to move to access them. They're through bolted from the topside. The DDs are different. I don't know exactly why...

On the V drives, the gas tank has to move to access them.  They're through bolted from the topside.  The DDs are different.  I don't know exactly why...

This is very interesting as I have snapped off the front fin on my Rlx a couple of times. Some of my skiing buddies have advised through bolting them with nuts on the other side, while others claim that if I do this I'll sink my boat next time I rip one off. The through bolting proponents claim several similar impacts that I have expeienced and never have lost a tracking fin. (Ski Ray and Nautique)

I'm giving serious consideration to through bolting the next one that comes off. If Malibu is doing this on the V-Drives anyway.....

My front fin was ripped off couple years ago and I was concerned about through bolting. Decided to use nylon nuts doubled up on them. Don't want fiberglass repair!!Maybe an option for you.

On the V drives, the gas tank has to move to access them.  They're through bolted from the topside.  The DDs are different.  I don't know exactly why...

Isn't it because on a V drive you have the posibility of running a screw into the gas tank and on a DD no gas tank there so screw away :)

Edited by tmcb

You have to remove the gas tank, and the seats. It is a pain to do. Takes about 3 hours or so. I would check for spidering in the gelcoat and fiberglass.

Isn't it because on a V drive you have the posibility of running a screw into the gas tank and on a DD no gas tank there so screw away :)

Yeah, that sounds familiar! :)

The center fin is off set from the back and front one. I believe this aids in tracking. A few years back I ripped the front one off and knocked the midddle one loose.

I refilled the holes with some aircraft composite resin only doing two holes at a time, and using the other two for a reference. After it dried I drilled and retapped the composite material, still solid and strong today. :)