Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bow ballast upgrade

liljohn

Help!!! So I placed my order for my reversible pumps and everything else from WakeMakers needed for this mod and to install 910's in my rear lockers.  I called Malibu to get the part numbers for the tank/cover.  The tech representative checked with engineering and they say it will not work for my boat.  They would not give an explanation except that it would not work....Doesn't make sense since my 2011 V-Ride bow looks identical to the ones in the pictures.  I've heard my 2011 V-Ride is an 07-09 VLX hull and I know those boats had a front ballast tank.  My bow setup has the 4 brackets holding the seat bases so it looks like it is removable.  Can someone with this tank give me all the measurements of it (height, width, depth all around) and part numbers.  I would hate to purchase this tank to find out it does not fit....Going to be really bummed if I can't do this mod!

Thx,

Mark

Edited by MJR63
  • 4 months later...

I just picked up a new to me 05 vlx.  It has the bow tank, but only 3 switches...I will figure that out in the spring.  How do I lift up the carpet panel, so I can see what area is available under the bow seat for more weight or another bag?  

Anyone else have ideas for more hidden bow weight?

46 minutes ago, goodmatt78 said:

I just picked up a new to me 05 vlx.  It has the bow tank, but only 3 switches...I will figure that out in the spring.  How do I lift up the carpet panel, so I can see what area is available under the bow seat for more weight or another bag?  

Perhaps the tank is there but not plumbed, or the switch is hidden? Carpet should just lift right up. There is room for lead weights etc, but definitely not another bag. I fill my front tank and put 1000 pounds in the bow. However recently I have pulled back to maybe 2/3 full on the bag.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2017 at 3:32 PM, goodmatt78 said:

On my 04 the mid & bow were on the same switch. 

• 4 months later...

Hello all, I'm in the middle of my install, I have read all seven pages over and over but can't seem to find where to run the all three of the water hoses to and from the tank. Do I drill a hole in the floor on the bow side and run them under, Or a hole through the wall? Or is there an easer way I am missing?

Thanks!! 

3 hours ago, Copelandkev said:

Hello all, I'm in the middle of my install, I have read all seven pages over and over but can't seem to find where to run the all three of the water hoses to and from the tank. Do I drill a hole in the floor on the bow side and run them under, Or a hole through the wall? Or is there an easer way I am missing?

Thanks!! 

In the access hole to the sides there will be a vertical wall (these are the stringers). There are circular holes drilled in these about 4 or 5 inches around. That is where you run them. From there you usually grab them up towards the front of the boat under the drivers seat all the way to the front. In my case it was behind the heater and behind a small fabric panel. It's a beast to thread them through but it works. 

Oh wait, Im sorry I was not clear. I got the new bow fill hose in the access hole and fished it under the drivers seat and out where the other center tank hoses and anti siphon come out, at the drivers feet. now I need to run the hose up to the bow, are you saying there are holes already there behind the carpet or a fabric panel? 

3 hours ago, Copelandkev said:

Oh wait, Im sorry I was not clear. I got the new bow fill hose in the access hole and fished it under the drivers seat and out where the other center tank hoses and anti siphon come out, at the drivers feet. now I need to run the hose up to the bow, are you saying there are holes already there behind the carpet or a fabric panel? 

I believe so. I am at work now but if you are near your boat tonight or this weekend just PM me your cell phone. If you happen to have an iphone we could facetime...

Got it done, thanks for the help 95echelon! Just as you said there is a plenty of room in the upper right hand side under the helm and an access hole in the bow side as well, no drilling.

I didn't have to use any new wire or butt connectors, the factory ran wire with butt connectors were plenty. The drain pump and sending unit wires were already out of the wire loom on the floor just sitting there waiting for me. The drain pump wire to the switch as already ran to the switch, I simply plugged it in.

I had the most trouble with fitting the tank, I don't know if the quality has gone down over the years or what but my tank seemed to be flimsy and warped. the hole in the middle is a high point, i put a straight edge on it and it bowed on the way to the sides by about 1/4" and to the bow point almost a 1/2". I ended up shoving the tank under the fiberglass and shimming the bow point so it was level with the rest of the tank and shoving the whole tank forward. 

I was planning on installing the sold top piece on top but the hole center is so high it would have been a pivot point. I found some 1/4" foam matting from Lowe's that i covered the tank with instead of carpet, but still had to create shims under the seats so they are level. 

I ordered the tank from the Malibu dealer, it was about $270 before tax and shipping. the parts guy quoted me $50 for shipping, but when it came he popped me with a $130 shipping bill. I raised hell and they honored the $50 charge. 

Thanks liljon for the original write up, and the Bakes parts list. although almost ten years old it still accurate and available. 

• 9 months later...
10 hours ago, jmiller17 said:

Does anybody know how much weight the stock tank holds?

Pretty sure it’s 350. 250 each rear, 400 belly and 350 bow for a total of 1250. 

For surfing you will want an extra 400-1000 in the bow depending on rear ballast. I run 1000 up front when I have full rears (1150 each), belly, and lots of people. Less people I run a 400 bag up front the little kids use as a backrest. 

By extra I mean on top of the factory hard tank. 

Edited by 95echelon

Does having bow ballast help lengthen the sweet spot on the surf wake? because I do notice with my stock  tanks  in the back and center and with nothing in the front that I have to ride the surfboard pretty close to the swim platform to get a good push 

30 minutes ago, jmiller17 said:

Does having bow ballast help lengthen the sweet spot on the surf wake? because I do notice with my stock  tanks  in the back and center and with nothing in the front that I have to ride the surfboard pretty close to the swim platform to get a good push 

Sure does. I am running a 750 in the bow. For your VTX it may not require that much. YRMV

26 minutes ago, jmiller17 said:

Yes, what is your setup? The more bow wake the longer the wave, in fact I don't always do the rears fully filled for that reason. This is with medium ballast and only a 400 in front (plus the hard tank) you can see the good length:

When I surf with my kids though I need a steep wall of water with more rear weight because of the 280 pounds on the board:

46 minutes ago, Brad B said:

I know its a waste of 6 pages of thread - but coulda just put 300-500 lb of steel or lead under those seats and done.

When I go to lake of the Ozarks or table rock and hit 4-6 foot waves I don't love that idea though. Your 23 will have more height at the front with that weight. I would have to remove it all by hand to go out on the big water.

For my lake place though where I am 99% of the time I agree.

• Like 1

Normally for surfing I just hit the preset on the launch system and it fills the rear stock tanks and the center hard tank all the way up  it makes a real steep wave just not real long seems like you’re always right at the platform when u have good push 

6 minutes ago, jmiller17 said:

Normally for surfing I just hit the preset on the launch system and it fills the rear stock tanks and the center hard tank all the way up  it makes a real steep wave just not real long seems like you’re always right at the platform when u have good push 

For long and steep you need big rear pnp snd big bow weight 

• 2 months later...
On 5/1/2009 at 12:23 AM, liljohn said:

hooked up.. ready to drain and fill.

post-3478-1241151807_thumb.jpg

Do u remember what fittings u used on the tank and where u bought them?  My tank is on the way and I’m trying to get everything else gathered up.

On 7/8/2018 at 11:37 AM, jmiller17 said:

Do u remember what fittings u used on the tank and where u bought them?  My tank is on the way and I’m trying to get everything else gathered up.

I ended up getting a reducer at home depot and using one of their fittings I think... Any dealer will be able to tell you with a quick phone call I bet.

I just installed a bow tank last weekend and I used these fittings from bakesonline for the vent and drain hoses since I was buying other components from them.  I found an elbow fitting for the connection of the fill pump to the tank at home depot that had a 3/4" male end and a 3/4" female end:

fillTankFitting.JPG

FYI, liljohn's writeup was invaluable but there is a mistake in the picture of the wires going to the switch that had me confused for a while.  In that picture he wrote that the two wires to connect to the switch are yellow/green and brown/pink.  The yellow/green is actually the wire from the tank sensor and It is already connected to the display in the dash; you only have to connect the other end to the wire from the tank sensor as he wrote.  The two wires at the switch (at least for me) are brown/pink and brown/yellow.  The brown/yellow wire is for the fill pump and and I found the other end tucked away in the bilge area.

As someone previously mentioned, I actually didn't have to run any new wire because what was there reached both the tank and the fill pump.

1-resized_IMG_20180706_160513783.jpg

Edited by rothoveb
Added details about switch connections

Cool thanks for the info I was really wondering what size fittings the tank had I suppose I will just buy 3/4 inch tubing and fittings for everything