Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bow ballast upgrade

liljohn

Well this post is going to be a little backwards but will contain all the info you need to add the factory bow ballast. I plumbed in a flyhigh bow sack and discovered it didn`t work so well so I shifted gears and am now installing the factory tank hence the reason this will be a little backwards. so today I removed the seat base and dry fit the tank. I also re-ran the fill, drain and overflow lines. I covered the tank with the factory carpet and installed the fitting for the drain and overflow lines. I`ll photo all the pump wireing and hose runs when I dig out the sending unit wires tommorrow.

post-3478-1240892633_thumb.jpg

darn....you beat me to it. Now I am going to have to get off my lazy butt and get mine installed.

Just a couple of points

1- the factory install has a piece of carpeted cover 1/2" UHMW plastic over it to protect it from the bottom of the seats and I assume add a bit of strength. Your carpet may work, just letting you know what the factory did.

2- there is a carpeted panel to seal off the walk-thru.

I got both pieces ready to install from Malibu.

Keep the pictures coming, it will help with my install!

Awesome topic, this is like a tv drama, what happens next!!!???

Maybe the pics are deceiving but it doesn't look like the tank is tall enough to fit right up under the cushions. But the dry install looks like it sits flush with the outer support. I'm hoping to see a pic from the back seat straight forward to see how that thing fits with and without the cushions. What is the capacity on that tank? When is the next episode!!!!

Maybe the pics are deceiving but it doesn't look like the tank is tall enough to fit right up under the cushions. But the dry install looks like it sits flush with the outer support. I'm hoping to see a pic from the back seat straight forward to see how that thing fits with and without the cushions. What is the capacity on that tank? When is the next episode!!!!

That's how all the boats are with bow ballast, at least the last 2 I've had. The 06' was like that and my 09' is like that. The outside cushions angle down just slightly but not enough to notice when they are in.

darn....you beat me to it. Now I am going to have to get off my lazy butt and get mine installed.

Just a couple of points

1- the factory install has a piece of carpeted cover 1/2" UHMW plastic over it to protect it from the bottom of the seats and I assume add a bit of strength. Your carpet may work, just letting you know what the factory did.

Do you have a picture of the carpeted panel? I have looked at three different boats and none of them have had this panel that you speak of. I do know of the panel the blocks the walk thru area I am fabbing it out of what used to be the seat base.

The tank does sit below the outer lip. Maybe some one with a tank installed from the factory can post a pic. As far as I know thats how the factory did it. I have the ability to install spacers if need be but I highly doubt it will need it.

Just a couple of points

Do you have a picture of the carpeted panel? I have looked at three different boats and none of them have had this panel that you speak of. I do know of the panel the blocks the walk thru area I am fabbing it out of what used to be the seat base.

The tank does sit below the outer lip. Maybe some one with a tank installed from the factory can post a pic. As far as I know thats how the factory did it. I have the ability to install spacers if need be but I highly doubt it will need it.

I don't have a pic of the panel readily handy. But it is shaped very similar to the tank and about 1/2" thick. I do not remember if it fits just over the tank or over hangs the side supports. I am sure someone with a front tank should be able to take a picture before I get back out to my boat. I have seen it on all 247s with front ballast. I would assume it is on all front ballast boats.

Have you found the drain pump wiring already installed somewhere under the dash?

The panel sits on top of the tank and it's outside edge matches the inside edge of the glass support. It essentially brings the surface of the tank up to level with the surrounding fiberglass so that all of the cushions are on a level base.

The panel sits on top of the tank and it's outside edge matches the inside edge of the glass support. It essentially brings the surface of the tank up to level with the surrounding fiberglass so that all of the cushions are on a level base.

That is what I was thinking....but it has been awhile since I looked at a factory install.

Just a couple of points

I don't have a pic of the panel readily handy. But it is shaped very similar to the tank and about 1/2" thick. I do not remember if it fits just over the tank or over hangs the side supports. I am sure someone with a front tank should be able to take a picture before I get back out to my boat. I have seen it on all 247s with front ballast. I would assume it is on all front ballast boats.

Have you found the drain pump wiring already installed somewhere under the dash?

I would love to see this panel! I looked at a handful of boats today and not a single one had it. They all had the carpet stuck right to the tank. yes I have found the wires they are under the dash and in the center bilge area.

See above.. do you have a picture of this panel?

Just a couple of points

I would love to see this panel! I looked at a handful of boats today and not a single one had it. They all had the carpet stuck right to the tank. yes I have found the wires they are under the dash and in the center bilge area.

See above.. do you have a picture of this panel?

I've only seen one or two with almost all without. The ones with were 05 early 06 models