Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need recommendations for dock and lift

Schindawg

Hey all - the ice has finally melted and the even better news is that it looks like we will be moving this summer to take over a place "in the family" on a 700 acre lake. Woo hoo! Now I have to start thinking about docks and lifts. We have a 2003 23 LSV with tower. If you had to do it all over again, what lift and dock would you get? I'd like something modular in the event we end up adding a pontoon or waverunner gizmo. Any strong opinions out there?

After a looooong winter, glad to be back here at the 'crew!

Appreciate all your expertise on this issue :)

Edited by Schindawg
MalibuNation
Hey all - the ice has finally melted and the even better news is that it looks like we will be moving this summer to take over a place "in the family" on a 700 acre lake. Woo hoo! Now I have to start thinking about docks and lifts. We have a 2005 LSV 23 with tower. If you had to do it all over again, what lift and dock would you get? I'd like something modular in the event we end up adding a pontoon or waverunner gizmo. Any strong opinions out there?

After a looooong winter, glad to be back here at the 'crew!

Appreciate all your expertise on this issue :)

I like my dock

Alumi-Span

I prefer a dock with a wooden top myself. I'm just not crazy about the all aluminum top (no offense MalibuNation)

I have a dock with an aluminum frame, but cedar wood planks across the top. The frame keeps the sections lighter, and I still get my wood top. The pieces float in the water so they are pretty easy to move around. I don't have a brand name or a picture, it's pretty generic.

As for lifts, I only have one complaints about my shorestation, it's so darn heavy. Some time ago someone mentioned a lift that you could level by using a cordless drill to raise and lower the legs. I would switch my boat lift in a second for that feature, but I didn't know it existed when I bought my lift.

I prefer a dock with a wooden top myself. I'm just not crazy about the all aluminum top (no offense MalibuNation)

I have a dock with an aluminum frame, but cedar wood planks across the top. The frame keeps the sections lighter, and I still get my wood top. The pieces float in the water so they are pretty easy to move around. I don't have a brand name or a picture, it's pretty generic.

As for lifts, I only have one complaints about my shorestation, it's so darn heavy. Some time ago someone mentioned a lift that you could level by using a cordless drill to raise and lower the legs. I would switch my boat lift in a second for that feature, but I didn't know it existed when I bought my lift.

The lift you are talking about is from Floe. I have seen these at the boat show, and I was really impressed. I looked at these when I purchased mine, but they were so expensive. Their docks are also very interesting. They have the same leveling mechanism. You just pop open a hole and use your cordless drill to level. You don't even need to get wet to deploy your dock and lift (if you get the install/remove kit).

I purchased a Summit Marine lift, and I have been extremely happy with it. It is extremely light (I install/remove it with an air mattress) and easy to operate.

If I had to do it all over again, I would save some money and get the Floe.

I have a porta dock dock and Shorestation lift and am very happy with both. Depending on your shoreline and lake bottom the wheel kits are really nice.

The shorestation wheel kit isn't that great but I adapted the porta lift wheel kit to fit and it works great.

Floe makes some nice stuff as well.

I see kernaltao beat me to it but if you want to look at some nice equipment I would check out Floe also. If I had it to do over I would give Floe a very good look. I have a couple of local shops around my place but not sure if it gets out as far as you. I have a Midlander vertical lift and am going on year 14 and have had no problems. I have changed the cable but that is a routine maintenance thing. about every six or seven years.

Floe has a new composite dock top looks very good like wood color and texture. I have a composite dock top also 14 years old look near new. I like it its a bit lighter and no maintenance also stays cool in the hot summer sun. Mine is wight.

The docks and lifts are not cheep but a good choice will last many many years.

You will love lake living its like heaven!!!!!!!!!! Good Luck.

MalibuNation

I like the light weight aluminum, it's cool and no maintenance (no offense CedarLakeSkier). CLS - will be boarding Sunday if you're in town Biggrin.gif

Edited by MalibuNation

I have an aliminum shorestation lift and dock. The lift I can move on my own just using 2 tubes. I can not say enough on how easy the dock is to install. In our prior home we had an aluminum dock with augger poles that would go into the lake bed. The shorestation uses a footbed for the bottom of the dock. I can install 32 ft of dock in 5 minutes. Would not trade either.

Thanks for all the ideas/brands to check out. Another question. How do you handle sun exposure with your precious 'bu sitting out in the sun on a lift all day. I have an Evolution cover which I love, but I still would like to keep my baby in the shade. Is it possible to have a lift cover over a tower?

Thanks for all the ideas/brands to check out. Another question. How do you handle sun exposure with your precious 'bu sitting out in the sun on a lift all day. I have an Evolution cover which I love, but I still would like to keep my baby in the shade. Is it possible to have a lift cover over a tower?

Yes, most manufacturers have tall enough canopies to accommodate a tower. You could always design something like

. I contacted the guy who designed this one, and he is not willing to part with the schematics!

Yes, most manufacturers have tall enough canopies to accommodate a tower. You could always design something like

. I contacted the guy who designed this one, and he is not willing to part with the schematics!

Wow! That thing rocks! Hmmmm.... need more engineer / aluminum fabricator friends.

I pull mine in the lift with the tower up. If I'm going out again I'll leave the tower up and only lift the boat part of the way.

When putting away for the night (or the week Cry.gif ) I put the tower down, cover on, and crang the boat up until something (usually the racks) just touched the canopy.

One other thing that you can do is to have additional material put on your cover. I don't have any pictures, but we have a Rankin cover. I keep my boat year-round on the lift and was concerned about the Florida sun fading the Bu, but did not have the money to invest in a canopy. So I have Rankin install additional zippers that go around the edge of the cover. They also gave me sun flaps for lack of better words. They attach to the zippers and hang down from the cover 2-3 ft. So when the boat is on the cover they end up hanging down almost to the lift craddle. Boats been on the lift for the 3 years we have lived in Florida and no fading.

Let me know if you want pictures and I can take some and post them.

I have a floating dock from Can-dock. It is basically a bunch of 2x2 plastic cubes that are connected. It has been great for us.

No lift not allowed on our lake :(

One other thing that you can do is to have additional material put on your cover. I don't have any pictures, but we have a Rankin cover. I keep my boat year-round on the lift and was concerned about the Florida sun fading the Bu, but did not have the money to invest in a canopy. So I have Rankin install additional zippers that go around the edge of the cover. They also gave me sun flaps for lack of better words. They attach to the zippers and hang down from the cover 2-3 ft. So when the boat is on the cover they end up hanging down almost to the lift craddle. Boats been on the lift for the 3 years we have lived in Florida and no fading.

Let me know if you want pictures and I can take some and post them.

I think I've seen pictures of that type of set-up. Another great suggestion. Thanks!

• 3 months later...

A BIG thanks for everyone who responded to my questions. Wow! These things are not cheap, but after a lot of eval, I ended up going with Floe. They're built just 3 hrs from our home. VSD-5000 with canopy being installed today along with simple, straight 3-section Floe dock (all I can afford!). Perhaps next spring we'll add a few more dock sections like a swim platform, but it will do for what's left of boating season in northwest MN! Love, love, love being on a lake!

Edited by Schindawg

Floe is a good lift, innovative features, but not good bang-for-buck, and I'm not convinced about the design - there are a couple of Floe lifts on our lake (we're about 30 minutes from the factory) and both have had problems with the v-brace attachment. I prefer the welded v-brace of the Pier Pleasure lifts. If you can afford the Floe however, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

I am very happy with my Shoremaster dock. Aluminum frames with cedar tops. I have an older Harbormaster vertical lift that serves me very well.