Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How much 303 Fabric Guard do I need?

I have a standard Malibu cover for my Sportster LX. I washed the cover last fall and now need to treat it with the 303 High Tech Fabric Guard. Does anyone know how much I need to buy? I think 32 oz should be just enough or should I buy a gallon of it so I have lots. Any thoughts would be helpful...big price difference between the spray bottle and the gallon.

First, I wash it and let it dry just before treating then, I'd get a gallon. I always seem to go through the whole gallon even though I'm not supposed to.

MalibuNation

I was just going to post the same ? this am. I've got 303 and it's more of a UV protectant (sp), do they have a product for waterproofing? When I think of waterproofing I think 3M Sotchguard. Doing a Google search they say to use a product with "fluoropolymer" and not silicone. I'm going to wash my cover in a large washer ... it's the original canvas type cover that came with my 2003 boat. Thanks - Jim

I was just going to post the same ? this am. I've got 303 and it's more of a UV protectant (sp), do they have a product for waterproofing? When I think of waterproofing I think 3M Sotchguard. Doing a Google search they say to use a product with "fluoropolymer" and not silicone. I'm going to wash my cover in a large washer ... it's the original canvas type cover that came with my 2003 boat. Thanks - Jim

This is the stuff you need.

http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?...;Product_ID=429

I am going to buy some and am trying to figure out how much to buy. Pistol Pete says he uses a gallon. I was leaning that way too but the price seems like a lot, but I guess I only have to waterproof/protect it once and a while.

Pistol...How do you spray it on from the gallon bottle. Do you just put it in a spray bottle or do you use a pressurized sprayer like a garden/weed sprayer??

MalibuNation

I am going to buy some and am trying to figure out how much to buy. Pistol Pete says he uses a gallon. I was leaning that way too but the price seems like a lot, but I guess I only have to waterproof/protect it once and a while.

Pistol...How do you spray it on from the gallon bottle. Do you just put it in a spray bottle or do you use a pressurized sprayer like a garden/weed sprayer??

Time for a Group Buy.

Time for a Group Buy.

Plus1.gif

Yes, garden sprayer. Roughly this size.

The cost is negligible when you consider you only gotta do it once a year. Make sure you read the instructions before use.

MalibuNation
I dunno bro,

$83 delivered from this site. and this site. Seems reasonable if you factor in that whatever is left over you can use next year.

Hi Pete, your first site has it be $69.95 ... but there is shipping ... still cheaper than getting it from the manufacture. Just ordered a gallon + quart 303 Aerospace Protectant. Crew members rock, thanks - Jim

MalibuNation

How many of you use this 303 product while the cover is on the boat. Reading the instructions ... probabaly the first time in my life - hey I'm a guy ... it says it's not for fiberglass.

Do I read this as "It won't help fiberglass"

-or-

"It's bad for fiberglass"?

Sure would be easier if I could apply it while the cover is on the boat ... it's Sunday (was delivered at 5 pm yesterday via FedEx) and I want to get going on this project and doubt I can call them. TIA - Jim

How many of you use this 303 product while the cover is on the boat. Reading the instructions ... probabaly the first time in my life - hey I'm a guy ... it says it's not for fiberglass.

-or-

Sure would be easier if I could apply it while the cover is on the boat ... it's Sunday (was delivered at 5 pm yesterday via FedEx) and I want to get going on this project and doubt I can call them. TIA - Jim

Man I love FedEx, those guys ROCK!

Anyway, I always wash the cover, let it dry completely, then install the cover on the boat and spray it on a warm sunny day. Just be careful about over spray and volume of liquid when you get near the bottom edge of the cover. I have gotten it on the gel and it does leave sort of streak marks. Just clean it off and put some wax over it.

MalibuNation

-or-

Anyway, I always wash the cover, let it dry completely, then install the cover on the boat and spray it on a warm sunny day. Just be careful about over spray and volume of liquid when you get near the bottom edge of the cover. I have gotten it on the gel and it does leave sort of streak marks. Just clean it off and put some wax over it.

Ended up washing my 1998 Dodge Stratus and putting the cover over it and sprayed the cover that way. One advantage of owning a 1998 Dodge Stratus. Yeah it left streaks on the car ... looks like it'll wash off ... if it doesn't the car has 140K and it's now more waterproof. :)

-or-

Ended up washing my 1998 Dodge Stratus and putting the cover over it and sprayed the cover that way. One advantage of owning a 1998 Dodge Stratus. Yeah it left streaks on the car ... looks like it'll wash off ... if it doesn't the car has 140K and it's now more waterproof. :)

You gotta love a positive attitude. Thumbup.gif

How do you wash the cover? Standard washing machine (front loader?) Or do you throw is over the car and pressure wash it? Standard boat soap? The bottom side of my cover is kind of gross, but I don't want to jack it up trying to clean it up.

The method and details to your madness would be appreciated.

I do like the idea of throwing it over the car first tho!

• 3 weeks later...

Last year my buddy waterproofed his cover on the lawn. Waterproofed grass gets brown real fast :Doh: :Doh:

Edited by uride2