Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Computron help

My computron on my 94 Echelon shuts itself off. I can disconnect the battery and let it sit a while, it will come back on but only for a short time. It seems to be loosing power. The LED lights at the top seem to get dim, then it goes out completely. I does not lose any of the setting though, the clock, hours etc. are still accurate. Any suggestions?

Edited by MIKEGOUGH1
  • 1 month later...

According to Malibu, the Computron is a dinosaur and has no parts available. The company that built it has been out of business for years. Mine has been dying a slow ,gradual death for a long time. Your problem may be something simple that the dealer can figure out. It's worth a call to them. It seemed like a great feature when it came out but with no service support it's just another outdated computer. Throwpc.gif

I had a similar problem with mine.

On my boat it is called MMDC and is made by Borg Warner. I do not think it is a dinasaur as it has a fuel flow gauge that tells me how many hours of fuel I have left (instant, based on rpm at time of reading gauge). Fuel readout in gallons. Engine readouts. MPH & RPM (digital), depth gauge and alarms, air and sea temps. I do not have the gps or accuski options.

With the help of a buddy we found the problem to be one of the in line fuses (on my boat the heavy duty looking yellow ones), it would let some power thru but not really enough, sounds odd but that is what it was). I temp fixed it by putting a piece of tinfoil in the end of the fuse holder with the fuse and will replace the fuse and holder with the newer style 2 pin fuse this winter.

hope this helps.

I had a similar problem with mine.

On my boat it is called MMDC and is made by Borg Warner. I do not think it is a dinasaur as it has a fuel flow gauge that tells me how many hours of fuel I have left (instant, based on rpm at time of reading gauge). Fuel readout in gallons. Engine readouts. MPH & RPM (digital), depth gauge and alarms, air and sea temps. I do not have the gps or accuski options.

With the help of a buddy we found the problem to be one of the in line fuses (on my boat the heavy duty looking yellow ones), it would let some power thru but not really enough, sounds odd but that is what it was). I temp fixed it by putting a piece of tinfoil in the end of the fuse holder with the fuse and will replace the fuse and holder with the newer style 2 pin fuse this winter.

hope this helps.

It seems you have something different than Computron. The Computron features were similar to what you have and were great .WHEN THEY WORK. My Computron depth guage died twice and the dealer told me it I would be better off buying a seperate aftermarket gauge than fixing it again. My sea water temp was reading around 130 Deg F the last I checked. Now my Digital Tach, Hour Meter, and Fuel Consumption modules quit working. My point is that if they put a feature in a boat and the supplier dries up, they should come up with another way to service you not just say "Sorry, there are no parts available. It's obsolete." Ranting.gif I will beware of trick little gimmicks that may not last when I buy again.