Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Engine oil

I know this has probably been debated in the past....That being said, is there a difference in marine engine oil and regular engine oil? Assuming the weight is the same. For example, is Pennzoil marine 15w-40 the same as regular Castrol 15w-40? I know Indmar promotes Pennzoil marine, but it is getting harder to find. Non-marine oil is easier to find and less expensive also.

Your thoughts?

I was just at West Marine today too. Unfortunately the one I visited didn't have any, I looked. I used to buy it at Walmart but looks like they quit stocking it this year. Where else can it be found?

I was just at West Marine today too. Unfortunately the one I visited didn't have any, I looked. I used to buy it at Walmart but looks like they quit stocking it this year. Where else can it be found?

To avoid all the running around, I order all my oil/fluids along with impellers, hoses, waxes, protectants from Bakes once a year--49 lbs this year! You can't beat having exactly what you want show up on your doorstep!! Thumbup.gif

I wouldn't pay the difference, it's not really worth it.

FC-W™ Four-Stroke Oil Certification Program

"With the widespread introduction of the four-stroke outboard engine technology, NMMA considered it necessary to develop a marine engine oil category specifically for marine four-stroke engines. With all of the major outboard engine manufacturers producing four-stroke outboards to further reduce emissions and increase fuel economy, the need for oil specifically designed for the unique marine environment became necessary.

Industry leaders in lubrication developed testing criteria for this marine four-stroke oil. These include bench tests for viscosity, corrosion, filter plugging, foaming and aeration. In addition, the oil must successfully pass a 100-hour general performance engine test.

Once these oils have been tested by a sanctioned test laboratory, NMMA will issue licenses for the oil's formulation and registers approved brands.

FC-W™ lubricants have demonstrated the necessary performance and quality needed need in today's high performance four-stroke engines. The next time you are purchasing four-stroke oil for your marine engine, look for the FC-W™ trademark. "

NMMA FC-W Website Link

I know this has probably been debated in the past....That being said, is there a difference in marine engine oil and regular engine oil? Assuming the weight is the same. For example, is Pennzoil marine 15w-40 the same as regular Castrol 15w-40? I know Indmar promotes Pennzoil marine, but it is getting harder to find. Non-marine oil is easier to find and less expensive also.

Your thoughts?

I was under the impression that Pennzoil 15W-40 Heavy Duty diesel oil was equivalent to the Pennzoil Marine 15W-40.

It's what I've been using, anyway, and it's easy to find.

Marine and diesel ratings are the same.

Go to the auto parts store, notice all the diesel oil is 15w-40 and has the same ratings as "Marine" (API CI-4+ CH4/SJ) Buy your favorite brand, Mobil Chevron Shell Penzoil Castrol....

Buy your favorite brand, Mobil Chevron Shell Penzoil Castrol....

Totally agree. Regular 50 hour changes of any new oil have to be better than the brand or even weight. My Hammerhead 383 manual calls for Pennzoil 40W Marine while the oil cap that came on the new engine states, "use only Pennzoil 15W-40" Dontknow.gif