Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Buddy want to buy a new moomba...help!

Arctic Slalom

a good friend of mine wants to buy a new '08 moomba LSV....

http://www.moritzmarine.com/inventory/details.asp?ID=442

the dealer is telling him $39,500...i have no idea if this is a good deal or not.

can't he get a 08 or 09 ride series for this amount (and it will be a better boat)?!

or maybe he should just get a loaded 05 or 06 LSV fro 40?!

what do I tell him to talk him out of it?....or do i just let him buy it and love it? Whistling.gif:unsure:

one more thing.....his nearest Bu dealer is 500 miles away....he's in bismarck, nd. MC dealer is 200 miles away from him.

if a few people reply to this forum, perhaps I'll have him read the comments before he throws down 40K.

Edited by Arctic Slalom

Guess it depends on what he does? Wakeboarding? All around family boat? The Moomba LSV is a good boat. I'm guessing the dealer wants to get rid of it being a 2008. Depending on what options it has, it may be a good deal. I just like my Malibu wake better. Don't think he can really go wrong. I would probably rather have an 05 Malibu with under 200 hours on it than a new 08 Moomba, but thats just me.

I would check out the forums on moomba.com to get a better idea as to whether the price is okay.

I'm with the others, Moomba is a good boat, and maybe it is right for him. I wouldn't push to hard, or you'll ruin the experience. There certainly are far worse choices that could be made. State your case, and let him decide. If the Moomba dealer is close by, there is some worth to that.

Edited by davemac

I would tell him to look for a used 06 Malibu LSV, and then ask him what he thinks would keep resale better. A used Malibu, (which has already taken its depreciation hit) or a new Moomba. My guess would be the Malibu.

If your friend is set on getting a new boat and doesn't want to spend over 40k, I just don't see how he could get the same options in a Malibu. If he isn't set on getting a new boat, he could find some GREAT deals on loaded Bu's that are only a few years old.

I really like the Moomba brand. They are becoming less of a price point boat now days, but are still much cheaper then the "big 3" (which IMO, shouldn't include CC anymore, but that's another topic) and are backed by a Skiers Choice. I love their looks, and from what I have seen, throw a great wake. I have never ridden in one loaded down, just have seen pictures on-line.

You didn't say how far away the Moomba deal is, but if it's in the same town, and they have a good reputation, I would tell him to go for it. I'd much rather have a good boat with a great local dealer than a great boat with a dealer hundreds of miles away.

Nearest MC dealer is right in town, does he know that? I live in Bismarck and we have a Moomba dealer, an MC dealer, and a Centurion dealer. There's not a lot of used boats locally, I had to ship mine up from Florida. Tell him not to buy new...if he must buy Moomba, I work with a guy selling an 04 moomba listed for like 27K. I'd be fairly confident that he could get it for 25K. Depreciation on those things are rough.

http://www.bismanonline.com/getListing.php...=1&a=346541

Two words:

TEST DRIVE

Have him test drive a few boats and let him decide, he'll have to live with the decision and accept it if he makes the mistake either way. Live and Learn :)

One thing is he will be on the water with a boat and that's really all that matters Thumbup.gif

Either way he will enjoy it. Moomba's arent that bad of boats. If 40K is all he wants to spend he wont get a new Malibu for that price unless he can find a dealer with a left over, even that might be pushing it.

We looked at Moomba's, they seemed like good boats. What killed it for us wasn't the name, quality or price, but was the spotters seat. My wife was fine with it until I pointed out that it is angled, so you don't see straight back to the boarder. She thought that would be uncomfortable for the hours were on the boat sking and boarding.

So just make sure he really likes it 40K is still a lot of money.

if the nearest malibu dealer was that far from me, i wouldnt' buy a malibu. i love the brand, but when the need arises (and it almost always does) that is too much distance to travel for repair/service. Besides, if he gets a moomba you'll have some variety within your crew and as others have said, that is a good boat. Not a Malibu, but a good boat.

I used to ride behind a Moomba and now i have my new 2009 VLX. I Have to say, DONT buy a moomba. Just find a 2005 or 2006 wakesetter. The wake behind a wakesetter is the best I ve ever used.

From argentina, Luciano

I see the post by dirtysparks. He is saying you have a Centurion dealer has your bud, looked at them? I had one before coming over to Bu and it was an excellent boat. Eight years of service not one problem. I am not a boarder but my ski bud's son is and he liked the wake. I got a fair trade over blue book at resale time. I will say it was near excellent shape. Oh I did forget one thing I did repair the seats as I had a seam split so I had new skins made. So I guess I did have a significant problem but that was after seven years of hard use. It was a back seat cushion being steeped on all the time to go back to the swim platform.

I also would say as previously suggested TEST DRIVE and RIDE!!!!!

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

he pulled the trigger on it! Thumbup.gif

he's really psyched about it, should be a fun season for him.

.....the dealer sweetened the price even more, threw in a slip rental for the summer, winterizing, etc.

he drove an x-star and talked with the centurion dealer, but went with the moomba LSV, in the end.

i'm planning to spend a week in July with him (and our boat).

can't wait to try out the wake! Rockon.gif

he pulled the trigger on it! Thumbup.gif

he's really psyched about it, should be a fun season for him.

.....the dealer sweetened the price even more, threw in a slip rental for the summer, winterizing, etc.

he drove an x-star and talked with the centurion dealer, but went with the moomba LSV, in the end.

i'm planning to spend a week in July with him (and our boat).

can't wait to try out the wake! Rockon.gif

Just an FYI for your buddy. Keeping his boat in that marina will require him to take it out every few weeks and pressure wash it. I left my old boat in all season last year and only scrubbed the sides and as much of the bottom as I could reach. When I pulled it out for the year, it had some serious fuzz on it. Took it to the pressure washer and that barely made a dent. I must have worked a whole weekend on getting the finish back.

Are they first time boat owners? Hopefully they know the river, or know someone that can show them where to go. If they don't know it, I guarantee they'll have their boat in the shop on Monday. If he doesn't know anyone, tell him to email me and I'll show them where NOT to go :lol: