Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Help. Beeping Under Dash

I just bought a 2000 Sportster LX and I'm having a couple issues with beeping. When I turn the key to on there is no beep, just the guages turning on. The engine starts fine and runs fine, but I hear a constant beep under the dash. It's very faint, I can barely hear it. All the guauges are reading properly and everything is working fine. Maybe a bad sensor? Maybe the beeping horn itself is bad. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Carbed engine or EFI? Either way, if you unplug your oil pressure switch, not the gauge sender, and it stops. Replace your switch.

The switch is just above the oil filter. The should be 2 devices with a wire going to each, the larger one is the sender for the gauge, and the smaller one is the switch for the beeper. Only 3 thing can trigger the beeper on a carbed engine, high engine temp, high transmission temp, and low oil pressure. The low oil pressure switch is known to fail on occasion and they normally fail in the alarm condition, as do the other two temp switches. This way you are alerted about the failures. If you are having trouble hearing the beeper, it might be a good idea to replace that. It's your last line of defense for protecting your engine and tranny.

Ok, thanks a lot. It was the switch. Any threads on how to replace it or where to buy a replacement part? I'm wondering if I'll need to drain the oil to repair.

I am still having the same problem, but i disconnected the engine tepm switch, oil switch and tranny temp switch and the buzzer still is going off. Do i need to have the dealer cut this thing off?

I am still having the same problem, but i disconnected the engine tepm switch, oil switch and tranny temp switch and the buzzer still is going off. Do i need to have the dealer cut this thing off?

EFI or carbed?

EFI or carbed?

Carbed

On carbed engines, the beeper horn is fed with +12 volts from the key switch (purple wire). The 3 switches on the motor or tranny will complete the horn circuit to ground via a brown/blue wire if any of them sense a problem. First off, are you sure you disconnected the oil pressure switch and not the oil pressure sender for the gauge? If so, then the only logical explanation is that there is a ground fault on the brown/blue wire somewhere between the horn and the 3 switches.

hey john sounds like you know your stuff. I have a similiar issue and don't want to hijack thread but really need some help!

02 EFI 335 VLX

Boat starts fine and runs great, all gauges read acceptable limits etc. But every now and then while cruising/pulling boarder the constant beep will start from under dash (same tempo etc as the "IGN ON"). Sometimes it stopes after 30ish secs other times boat suddenly cuts out. SOmetimes boat goes to cut out then cuts back in other times cuts out totally. Boat starts first go when trying again 90% of the time. The other 10% I have no alarm sounding when "IGN ON", fuel pump will not prime etc however gauges are working. I have found through a process of elimination if I turn my rear right ballst tank to "fill" then off again, the beeping will return with key "IGN ON" and fuel pump primes and away she goes.

Other times it just cuts out as per above but with out beep.....although this usually happens only at low RPM

I'm at a loss! Sorry for thread hijack but seems related perhaps?

Edited by gatty

I checked cannon plug all seems fine. I re-tightened all earths on earth bar and removed and cleaned 12V bus/circuit breakers. I'm at a loss on what to try now :/

Could it be a fuel problem and the computer senses low fuel pressure or similar?

Monsoon 335 EFI

What exactly does the computer manage/monitor?

I had a simmilar problem with a response I owned awhile back, KILLED myself looking for a loose ground, etc etc.

Turns out it was the kill switch, I had bypassed the actual switch but the wire was loose (screw had backed out) from the ignition switch, that wire just happened to be on the top so it would bounce up and down causing the boat to run then not run whenever it hit a good bump.

So, I would check that kill switch (bypass it) and make sure all your under dash connections are tight (purple with a black tracer is the kill switch)

-Chris

The computer does not monitor fuel pressure. Take a look at your EFI and fuel pump relays. The EFI relay turns on your injectors, ignition system, and puts your ECM in ready mode. It also sends +12 volt power to your fuel pump relay, but that is turned on seperatly by the ECM by connecting the negitive side of the relays coil to ground. The EFI relay's coil is powered from the key switch and is solidly grounded.

edit; power for the key switch does not come from the +12 volt bus at the helm. It comes from the engine room via a fuse or breaker.

Edited by electricjohn

They are under the little carbon fiber cover over the tranny. Pop it off and you'll be looking at the ECM and the relays.

-Chris

the cover that is held on by 4 screws at the front-top of the engine? Thanks I had it off the other day to re-terminate a deutsch plug that ran to a injector i'll rip it off again tomorrow and have a look

thanks mate

• 1 month later...

Same Problem, but how do I fix?

I have the same problem (99 Sunsetter EFI Monsoon). The boat was winterized and last month I de-winterized it myself (first timer). I dropped it in the water for a test run and 10 min later the engine compartment was filling with lake...yes, I did not tighten the intake hose (big one that feeds water in to cool it) and water was spilling out and filling the compartment. After pulling the boat out, tightening the hose, draining, etc...I put it back in and it runs great now. But that darn beep beep beep is continuous under the dash.

Did I jack something up?