Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rack Placement - Illusion XS tower

IndigoLake

I am about to take delivery of an 09 VTX with the XS tower. It currently has 2 swivel board racks mounted on the upper holes. I will need to add a surf and a ski rack. Right now I am looking at Titan fixed for the surf and ski racks. My question is where is the best place to mount the surf and ski racks and how will having 4 racks effect lowering the tower? Would lift offs help? Any suggestions / experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks!

This may or may not be helpful. I ordered my 09 VTX with the Illusion X tower instead of the Illusion XS. I have only 2 sets of racks (both swivel) and they are mounted in the lower mount holes. I'm not sure about this, but I think they were mounted in the lower holes because I think they would hit the bimini when swiveled into the boat if mounted in the top holes. On my last VTX (with Illusion X as well), I had the fixed racks in the upper mount holes and had no problems lowering the tower.

For those with swivel racks, here's a question. I like my swivel racks just fine except that it is a major PITA to get the bungees to hook when the boards are in place due to the placement of the bungee notches relative to the huge swivel hinge. Am I doing something wrong? I do find it a little easier to load the boards and then turn the racks back outboard before hooking the bungees. Sorry for the threadjack, Indigo.

I have an XS with 2 swival racks on top for wakeboards and one removable Wakesurf rack on the left side lower hole. Works great... I keep the surf rack off and in a storage spot on the boat.. then i pull it out when needed. I shoudol add that I take the surf rack off to get the boat in my garage and swival the wake racks in, then lower the tower. Works great.. no issues (except for the one time we only swivaled teh rack 1/2 way (to it's highest point with the tower down).. caught the rack on the top of the garage... opps. Bent the forks... more money... boating isn't cheap. I straigntened (sort of) the bent forks and mounted them to a piece of wood.. new board rack for the garage:).

2841553222_f724cd2b0e.jpg

Edited by gregtay
I have an XS with 2 swival racks on top for wakeboards and one removable Wakesurf rack on the left side lower hole. Works great... I keep the surf rack off and in a storage spot on the boat.. then i pull it out when needed. I shoudol add that I take the surf rack off to get the boat in my garage and swival the wake racks in, then lower the tower. Works great.. no issues (except for the one time we only swivaled teh rack 1/2 way (to it's highest point with the tower down).. caught the rack on the top of the garage... opps. Bent the forks... more money... boating isn't cheap. I straigntened (sort of) the bent forks and mounted them to a piece of wood.. new board rack for the garage:).

Thank you for your hints. I'm currently looking for an additional Wakesurf rack, exactly what you already have. Would appreciate to get a link to your supplier. So far, I only found Wakesurf racks for the Illusion X Tower. According to sellers, these are suitable for XS Towers. Is that correct?

thx in advance for your answer

Thank you for your hints. I'm currently looking for an additional Wakesurf rack, exactly what you already have. Would appreciate to get a link to your supplier. So far, I only found Wakesurf racks for the Illusion X Tower. According to sellers, these are suitable for XS Towers. Is that correct?

thx in advance for your answer

Bake's (www.bakesmarine.com) hooked me up. Talk to Tyler. They can go over all the options and get you what you need.

• 5 years later...

what racks are those

• 1 year later...

After calling bakes, I was told they no longer have removable style racks. Any idea where I can get something like this to hold two surf boards? 

9 hours ago, jcarr343 said:

After calling bakes, I was told they no longer have removable style racks. Any idea where I can get something like this to hold two surf boards? 

Call Star One, they've got a couple sizes that work well for double surf forks, and look OEM (since they used to be the OEM).

8 hours ago, NWBU said:

Call Star One, they've got a couple sizes that work well for double surf forks, and look OEM (since they used to be the OEM).

+1 for calling Star One. Needed surf forks for my swivel rack on the xs tower and couldn't be happier with the quality and fit. (Just replaced the forks from wake board to surf)

Gregtay, A set of titan spinners just showed up today. How do they mount to the tower? Is the tower threaded? Or is there a nut and bolt? Mine came with a rounded allen bolt ane nothing else. I'm sure my tower is not threaded. It's an illusion.