Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

440's to 750's

Dave K

After a number of monster crashes, and a few stiches in the mouth, last fall my son finally nailed a back roll. problem now, good or bad, he's (we're) starting to think of turfing the 440 Launch Pad sacs and going with 2- 750's. Now i know this topic has been beaten to death but, I am interested too hear if in fact more guys/gays go with 750's. It would only stand to reason that the wake should be steeper and higher.

We've run 750s full in the rear lockers of our VLX on occasion when riding, but unless you're adding A LOT of weight to the boat, that's overkill. The reason is because it takes an equal amount of weight in the bow of the boat in order to keep the wake clean and the transition good, so all of a sudden you're talking about running 3,000lbs. of additional ballast, which for many people is too much.

It's tough to give a good recommendation without knowing what other weight you're purring in the boat, how fast you're riding, and what length rope you're using, but the one time when plumbing in 750s make sense for everyone is if you'll be surfing. If that's the case, getting as much weight as possible in the rear locker is essential, and you don't have to completely fill the bag when you're wakeboarding.

We have a 360# er in the ski locker as well. With 4 in the boat, three sitting right at the back with the 2 440's the boys liked the wake. So were thinking alittle more weight, bigger wake. Thanks

Well, the thing is, right now you have approximately 71% of the extra weight in the boat (not including people) in the back half. Most people recommend closer to 60% for the ideal wake, but some people prefer a steeper wake, which is what you'll get when you have more of the weight in the back of the boat.

If you upgrade to 750s in the rear lockers, you'll need around 645lbs. of weight in the front of the boat to maintain the same weight distribution (and therefore essentially the same wake shape which is NOT wake size). If you just change out the rear bags without adding any more weight in front you'll have over 80% of the additional weight in the back of the boat, which is FAR too much, no matter what type of wake you like. The boat won't plane out very well, it will handle poorly, and the transition of the wake will be very steep and abrupt.

If you use the boat for surfing (or envision getting into surfing) go for the 750s, but I would only recommend them for use when wakeboarding if you add more weight to the bow of the boat.

Dave it really depends on where your son wants to go with his riding and whether or not his technique is proper. With poor technique more weight is going to cause more problems than solutions. In my personal boat for anyone to get ballast they need to easily clear the wake TS at 75ft to get the weight. This forces people to learn TS AND confirms that they will use the extra weight (and gas usage that comes with it). With that said I run a lot of weight, am propped down and spend 100% of water time wakeboarding.

Off topic but on topic... Depending on the situation I would also suggest he take the proper learning curve towards his riding. From the falls he has taken it sounds like he may have some holes in his riding. I commonly coach riders to learn at least all 5 180's (HS FS, TS FS, SW HS FS, HS BS) and the three main w2w (HS, TS, and SW HS) jumps before trying inverts. When riders take the proper steps in their riding the injuries are less severe, the learning curve is faster and the enjoyment goes way up. It is really amazing to watch someone progress who has taken these steps. I have personally coached people into the next progression step beyond that and seen individuals land anywhere from 3-5+ inverts over the period of 3 sets. Generally since they have all their landing positions down switch and regular they learn a backroll, then quickly learn a roll to revert. Same thing with TS rolls, and trip flips.

Dave it really depends on where your son wants to go with his riding and whether or not his technique is proper. With poor technique more weight is going to cause more problems than solutions. In my personal boat for anyone to get ballast they need to easily clear the wake TS at 75ft to get the weight. This forces people to learn TS AND confirms that they will use the extra weight (and gas usage that comes with it). With that said I run a lot of weight, am propped down and spend 100% of water time wakeboarding.

While I agree with this, I think this is a higher level conversation about the actual act of adding more weight to your boat, and not the conversation the OP is looking to have about where in the boat to add that weight once you've decided to.