Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Air bags installed on truck

snowrider

Considering getting airbags installed on our 07 Dodge 1500. We primarily tow only our boat and currently the truck has minimal sagging, possibly because the truck is leveled in the front. Anyway, it's enough to want to fix it without taking the level kit out. Who has experience with them: pros/cons, did you get the on board compressor, how is ride effected when not aired up? Looking for advice. Thanks.

I have the air lift air bags on my truck, they are awesome. No change in ride quality and I can easily level the truck when I put my camper on it. For your application I don't think you need the on board air controller. I can the air lines behind the fuel door on my truck and they are easy to get to and fill or deflate as needed.

Considering getting airbags installed on our 07 Dodge 1500. We primarily tow only our boat and currently the truck has minimal sagging, possibly because the truck is leveled in the front. Anyway, it's enough to want to fix it without taking the level kit out. Who has experience with them: pros/cons, did you get the on board compressor, how is ride effected when not aired up? Looking for advice. Thanks.

I Have the Air Lift System on my 05 Titan. I also have a leveling kit on mine. I have the on board compressor. Started out with manual fill but later picked up compressor from E-Bay. I like having ability to adjust ride height and remove sag. When not loaded I can drop pressure back to 10 PSI and return ride to stock. It will get rougher if left at 50 PSI and no tongue or bed cargo weight.

One down side is if you do any hardcore off roading. You will need to add limiting straps so the rear axle doesn't over extend the bag length if one rear wheel gets high sided and the other lifts off the ground. I did that once exiting a ditch at an angle and ripped the fitting out of the top of one bag on the extended side of the suspension. Not too big of a deal but about 60 bucks to buy a new bag. Live and learn, I won't do that again.

Hey Snow rider, I have run them before. from my experience I would say get the on board air compressor. theres never air when you need it.. lol. your ride wont change when there is no air in them. It will firm up when your towing but you will find that it is not rough just firm.

I've had air lift bags in my G.F.'s Pathfinder for about 7 years and can't believe the quality of the bags. No leaks this whole time. I normally run them around 20 psi but put them up to 30 when I've got a load. (used to tow the boat with this car)

I have them plumbed so that both bags get equal pressure from one schrader valve. No compressor. I don't really see the need for an on-board comp. I haven't put them in my F250 only because I don't want to drill holes in my frame. And, I don't really need them.

Thanks everyone. I am going with the firestone rite-ride airbags and should have them

installed next week. No on-board compressor..........at this point. Thanks again for the input.