Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Barefoot International Quad Boom on '08 retractable pylon

Coach Mike

Just did a weekend dry land fit with my boom from my '02 Sunscape 23LSV on the new (end of last season) '08 Wakesetter 23 LSV. The old pylon was much longer and did not retract like my '08 does. It looks like I could put some rubber or something around the new pylon to keep it from getting scratched up and add some washers around the mounting hardware to get it good and tight so it should be plenty strong. It will have to mount around the impression where the rope attaches since it is such a short pylon compared to the older one. I don't want to drop more money for a different boom since I don't use it much anyway but I don't want to take chances and have something really bad happen either. :Doh:

Wondering what others are doing with the boom attachment with a retractable pylon? Dontknow.gif

I'll try to get some pictures before I take it out again. If anyone else might have pictures or comments on how they attach theirs I'd appreciate it.

Regards,

Mike

Here are some pictures. Hope to hear from someone on what they think about how this would work for the few times it gets used. Again, I know it only takes one time for a disaster ... :Doh:

post-8010-1240608843_thumb.jpg

post-8010-1240608878_thumb.jpg

I don't have a solution, but my comment is I'm leary of mounting the clamp to the tow spool. The spool is mounted on dual needle bearings and is designed for a direct pull with rotation. Not getting into the physics of how it would affect it, I'd rather see you use a tower boom, or even see if you could get a taller retractable pylon so you could mount the boom clamp on the main pylon shaft.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I was thinking that would be a problem also. Once you are up and footing, the pull should be pretty much parallel to the water but getting there would put some short but hefty forces upward from the cantilever of the boom at the rail. I have an Illusion tower and again I don't want to spend more money on a new boom. What are the options to getting a longer pylon in my boat without too much modification or expense?

Mike,

I'm surprised Malibu went to such a short retractable pylon, unless it was due to a space issue since it sits over the engine/transmission.

I bet Peter can help you with this, but I'm guessing you'll need to buy a longer retractable pylon like what's on my '06. Unless they changed the design of the pylon mount, it looks like all you'd have to do is remove the bolt that holds the pylon in the up position and slide in the longer one and then replace the bolt. It doesn't look like it would be that hard to swap back to your smaller pylon either if this were the case.

Here's some pics of my pylon and how the boom clamp attaches to it.

post-134-1240672924_thumb.jpg

post-134-1240673115_thumb.jpg

Edited by yabetcha

Thanks for the pictures yabetcha. Mine is similar but as you said, much shorter than the '06. I do have the same mounting as your picture and I'm thinking about just getting a longer piece of 2-3/8" diameter aluminum and machining in a set screw hole like the current pylon. It would be east to swap also like you said so no serious conversion or expense and I think it would be a solid option like yours is. Thumbup.gif

Regards,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get this made by my friend. Just cost me a thank you and a nice cigar :blush:

post-8010-1241811168_thumb.jpg

post-8010-1241811183_thumb.jpg

Thanks Peter. I appreciate the comments and input from you and yabetcha. I'll have a much better comfort level now. Thumbup.gif

• 2 years later...

post-8010-1241811406_thumb.jpg

did you say that pylon is 2-3/8" diameter aluminum? I wonder if my 2007 sunscape is the same diameter. I have the same problem.

Thanks

did you say that pylon is 2-3/8" diameter aluminum? I wonder if my 2007 sunscape is the same diameter. I have the same problem.

Thanks

I was able to go home and confirm that it was 2-3/8" diameter as well.

• 4 weeks later...