Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Circuit Breaker Popping on Ballast Switch

Took the boat out for the first time this season and went to fill the center tank when the circuit breaker popped. I tried several times and got the same results. I just had the annual service and got a new battery. Never had any problems before. Any ideas on whats going on and how to fix?

Thanks.

My guess would be a bad pump. Is it only happening when one pump is activited? If so, does it happen right away or after a bit (could be heating up). I would remove pump from chamber and see if it spins or if you can get it spinning. Work from their. Could be you got a short in that pump line... but if you did not do anything drastic over the winter this would not feel right.

Doesn't necessarily have to be a bad pump, sometimes dirt or debris get caught in the pump impeller. I have a 247 and the center tank ballast pump is under the rear seat. Once you find the right pump, unscrew the blue ring. If it feels stuck a little but then spins freely once you push it with your finger you are probably fine, just put it back together and go from there. Had two of my pumps with this problem when I put it in the water last month. Easy and quick fix - and free too. If you need to replace a pump though, try Bakes Marine, $50 and really easy repair, two wires and you are good to go.

i do have a 247, and it is the center tank. It happened right away, so it never had a chance to warm up. the other tanks work just fine.

thanks for the replies