Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bubbles on the chine

canderson

I have a 2006 Malibu Response LXI with 275 hours on it. The boat sits on a dock for at the most 2-3 weeks straight a summer, the rest of the time it in on the trailer in a heated garage. The chine on the passenger side has what looks like bubbles underneath the finish. Malibu stated that they will not cover this under the warrantee, because it "ran out last May for the gel coat. I am not very happy about this considering that this should not have happenned at all and Malibiu should cover it no matter what. This is my third Malibu and I am happy to always brag about the fact that I love Malibu and would love to continue to talk about how they are the best. On the flip side, now I am not very happy with Malibu, bad economy or not, I am rethinking why I do not own a Mastercraft where they would stand by their product and they brag about the fast that they never have gelcoat problems because they make a better boat. Does anyone have the phone number to customer service at Malibu in California, and what should I tell them. I am very frustrated that I spent 50K on a boat that I use 4 months out of the year and it is starting to show wear that should not ever happen.

Sorry to hear about the problem. Google "osmosis blisters" sometime. You will find this is a problem for many boat brands including Malibu & Mastercraft no matter what their price.

I also keep my boat moored in the water for 3 to 4 weeks at a time and had some small bubbles in the gelcoat at the end of last season. My warranty on the gelcoat had also run out, but the dealer took some pictures and sent them to Malibu to get approval to do a repair under warranty, which they got. I had the gelcoat repaired last month and you can't even see or feel where the bubbles were.

I have a 2006 Malibu Response LXI with 275 hours on it. The boat sits on a dock for at the most 2-3 weeks straight a summer, the rest of the time it in on the trailer in a heated garage. The chine on the passenger side has what looks like bubbles underneath the finish. Malibu stated that they will not cover this under the warrantee, because it "ran out last May for the gel coat. I am not very happy about this considering that this should not have happenned at all and Malibiu should cover it no matter what. This is my third Malibu and I am happy to always brag about the fact that I love Malibu and would love to continue to talk about how they are the best. On the flip side, now I am not very happy with Malibu, bad economy or not, I am rethinking why I do not own a Mastercraft where they would stand by their product and they brag about the fast that they never have gelcoat problems because they make a better boat. Does anyone have the phone number to customer service at Malibu in California, and what should I tell them. I am very frustrated that I spent 50K on a boat that I use 4 months out of the year and it is starting to show wear that should not ever happen.

1/209/383/7491 WILL GET YOU TO THE FRONT DESK

Recently there was a guy that had a post on wakeworld and Team Talk(Mastercraft owners website) that was expressing the same frustration as you. He even went so far as to create a site called something like mastercraftsux.com. I guess the point is that as someone has already said, all manufacturers have problems. I'm not saying that makes your situation any better, just that going to another brand isn't going to necessarily eliminate your problems. I'd have a very rational, calm, professional conversation with my dealer first and then quality contral at Malibu.

Thanks, I would appreciate that. Please let me know who I need to talk to and what the phone number is to call. The season is going to start soon, so the sooner the better. In Massachusetts and New Hampshire we do not get too much time out on the water due to the short summer.

Thank you!

While I'm sympathetic with those that have had osmosis induced gelcoat blisters, I'm not entirely sure Malibu should be required to fix this problem. They're cosmetic in nature, and Malibu specifically says the warranty for their gelcoat doesn't cover this type of issue.

It's a function of the environment the vehicle is subjected to. I drive my car up to the mountain a lot during the weekend and have cosmetic damage to the paint on the front of it from the cinders on the road, but I can't go to Audi and tell them to fix it.

Experience has shown that Malibu will go above and beyond (which I agree is ultimately the best way to handle the situation), but I don't think their entitled to.

While I'm sympathetic with those that have had osmosis induced gelcoat blisters, I'm not entirely sure Malibu should be required to fix this problem. They're cosmetic in nature, and Malibu specifically says the warranty for their gelcoat doesn't cover this type of issue.

It's a function of the environment the vehicle is subjected to. I drive my car up to the mountain a lot during the weekend and have cosmetic damage to the paint on the front of it from the cinders on the road, but I can't go to Audi and tell them to fix it.

Experience has shown that Malibu will go above and beyond (which I agree is ultimately the best way to handle the situation), but I don't think their entitled to.

Very well said and I completely agree.

Blisters are not purely cosmetic, it is a function of the thickness of the gelcoat. In my opinion it all hinges on how long a boat is left in the water. I am personally aware of a boat (Malibu) left in for a year. Obviously blisters occurred, but not nearly as bad as you might think. For a boat to show blisters after being left in the water for 3 weeks is much different, and in my opinion, Malibu should cover that. However, just because blisters show up does not mean they will not go away naturally or that repair is needed. Gelcoat is permeable by design. Blisters occur because too much water got through the gel and since it will not permeate the fiberglass, fills the area in between. Accordingly, blisters will often go away on their own when the hull is allowed to dry out properly (you can even watch them "sweat"). However, if they don't, my opinion is that Malibu should cover. Blisters over this short of a time period of being wet is almost exclusive to the ski/wake brands. I'm not personally aware of ANY well-built salt water boat having any blister issues in a 3 week period.

Salt water boats usually have the hull painted at the waterline with a special paint that prevents osmosis. The paint is kind of ugly. Anyone here want ugly paint from the waterline down on their Malibu hull?

Seems like in today's world some genius could figure out how to make bottom paint look better. Wonder what Linex would be like? Dontknow.gif

I've never heard the analogy that blisters are like paint chips on the car. That really brings it home for me. I have kept all my boats on the water for weeks or months at a time. They all have had funk growing on them at some point. And I clean & wax the boat as well as I can without going overboard. And I've never had blisters yet. But it sounds like in my situation it would not be that big a deal anyway, no more than the paint on the front of my truck being chipped up a bit.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
Seems like in today's world some genius could figure out how to make bottom paint look better.

That's what it comes down to for me. Seriously, gelcoat actually isn't a very good solution to the problem of making boats look good, it's just what the industry knows, so they continue to use it.

Salt water boats usually have the hull painted at the waterline with a special paint that prevents osmosis. The paint is kind of ugly. Anyone here want ugly paint from the waterline down on their Malibu hull?

Boats that sit in the water their entire useful life!

I am in plenty of saltwater boats that have sat in saltwater (and freshwater) for plenty of time with no bottom paint or blisters...definitely not 3 weeks!

I had a large sail boat for 14 years. It spent most of its time in the water as it was a bit large to remove and it is better for the boat to not be stored withe mast up in a cradle. Long story short we sanded and epoxied with a Marieann epoxy also bottom painted the boat. The boat was pulled and cleaned and re bottom painted each year. the boat had no problems for two years. The there'd year we did get a area with blisters. We repaired it and never had a problem again on the glass. The lead keel was glass coated and did have some more problems on and off.

The end being I have seen very expensive well built boats have problems. Any boat sitting in the water for more than a week can see issues. It is not a manufacture issue by brand.

Someone on the site said MC don't have the problem. I know one that went back to the factory more than once.

we had that happen on our 89 flightcraft and malibu gave us our money back on the boat we bought it used from the dealer and it is a defect in the fiberglass that is what they told us . and it will get alot worse.

are you talking to malibu direct. or did you go thru eastcoast flightcraft ? they would not help us so we called the factory and had a factory rep come see the boat.

It really is hit and miss, also when they switched to low VOC gelcoat that made a difference.

-Chris

Chris, 'made a difference' as in more or less prone to blisters?

• 3 months later...

We pulled the boat out a couple of days ago after being in the Willamette for the past 5 weeks to give it a good cleaning and waxing. While cleaning it up we noticed that the gelcoat bubbles are back in the same spot that they were before being repaired. The area involved is slightly larger than it was before. I will probably wait until the winter and see about taking the boat to AWS to get it repaired again. This time I assume it will be on my dime, although I could see if Malibu would warranty it again.

Get a black hull and have the bottom paint done by someone who knows what they are doing, it doesn't turn out that bad sometimes.

Get a black hull and have the bottom paint done by someone who knows what they are doing, it doesn't turn out that bad sometimes.

The bubbles are in the black gelcoat, but I think I will have it redone without paint.