Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

WHATS THE BEST 3-BLADE PROP FOR MONSOON 320

SD SKIER

What's currently on it & how is it performing?

Many will recommend one of the Acme/OJ CNC 3 blade props. Most likely a 13x12 .8 or .9 cup, but would be a good idea to call either OJ or Acme & ask.

These typically outperform the non CNC 4 blades for course skiing.

What's currently on it & how is it performing?

Many will recommend one of the Acme/OJ CNC 3 blade props. Most likely a 13x12 .8 or .9 cup, but would be a good idea to call either OJ or Acme & ask.

These typically outperform the non CNC 4 blades for course skiing.

I don't know the pitch but it is a 13x? 4 blade

34.2 MPH it is running about 3750 rpm pulling a skier would like to run lower rpms and get more top end when I boat around bigger lakes

ACME 13x12 (515) would probably work quite well for you.

Or the 13X12.625 that is what we run on the barefoot boats and they work great.

Our boats and needs are pretty similiar. I ended up with the OJ 3 blade XMP and am really happy,

PART #330 - 13 X 11.5 LC 1 1/8" 3-BLADE .090 CUP

excellent holeshot, slalom wakes are soft and it holds speed well, I didn't lose any top end either. No down side

I also tried the 4 blade below. Same results as the 3 blade above except the back end felt a little loose at WOT which made me a little nervous

PART #410 - 12.5 X 12 LC 1 1/8" 4-BLADE .090 CUP

I'm sure you would be happy either way. But I recommend OJ to my people, brand loyalty I guess.

Acme 515 (3blade 13x12x 1-1/8" shaft) on mine. 4 blade OJ on my buddie's 2001 Repsonse & he's dissapointed in his. And the CNC is silk smooth. Both with 325hp Monsoon. Best price I found, Delta Propeller (877)238-8214, ask for Gary.

We have 7 guys between 160 and 240lbs slalom skiing between 30 & 36 mph. & just set up course last summer.

Edited by skier92
Acme 515 (3blade 13x12x 1-1/8" shaft) on mine. 4 blade OJ on my buddie's 2001 Repsonse & he's dissapointed in his. And the CNC is silk smooth. Both with 325hp Monsoon. Best price I found, Delta Propeller (877)238-8214, ask for Gary.

We have 7 guys between 160 and 240lbs slalom skiing between 30 & 36 mph. & just set up course last summer.

What is your top speed with the 515 prop and do you know what your rpms are when your course skiing.(34.2 MPH) Also your buddies 4 blade OJ why doesn't he like it. My top speed is only 44 mph I would like to get at least 48 mph when I boat around our bigger lake.

There is a spreadsheet going around here with everyones results. I need to add to that. But in short here are mine with OJ. You seem to be concerned most with 34 and top speed. All using GPS

Elevation 933ft.

Echelon w Merc Black Scorpion. MPI 315 hp

Factory 3 blade stainless CVP - 34.2 @ 3100, WOT - 48 @46500

OJ 4 force 13 X 13 - 34.2 @ 3525, WOT - 44.0 @5000

OJ XMP 3 blade 13X11.5 - 34.2 @ 3375, WOT - 46.0@5040

OJ XMP 4 blade 12.5X12 - 34.2 @ 3450, WOT - 45.1@5070

If you can wait till weekend, I'll find out which OJ Jim has (spent $100.00 more than I did for my 515 & does not get the hole shot out of it and is not as smooth) Will get rpm's at different speeds with the 515. Tops out @ 48 mph.

Will get some rpm/mph info today. Here's something from acmemarine.com

: Which propeller should I choose, the Acme 3-blade or the Acme 4-blade?

A: Theoretically, a 3-blade propeller should always be more efficient than a 4-blade. However, in the past, two big issues have prevented the 3-blade from taking the lead in popularity. The first was a lack of manufacturing precision, which commonly caused 3-blades to vibrate more than 4-blades. When significant dimensional variation exists in a propeller, vibration is generally more noticeable in a propeller with fewer blades. The second reason for the 3-blade disfavor was an almost certain loss of blade area in the transition from four blades to three. Consequently, even though top-end gains were achieved, performance expectations on the low-end were diminished.

Through the implementation of precision manufacturing and design improvements, Acme Propellers are giving the 3-blade the reputation it deserves. Acme is consistently holding tolerances never before achieved in propeller production. This accuracy makes the Acme 3-blade incredibly smooth. In addition, the blade area of the Acme 3-blade has been expanded to equal that of the Acme 4-blade. The translation? The Acme 3-blade has raised the performance bar. From an awesome hole-shot to an unmatched top end, and all the smoothness throughout, the Acme 3-blade leaves nothing to be desired. We believe it has an edge that everyone will appreciate. On the other hand, please do not mistake our excitement as a lack of appreciation for the Acme 4-blade, a proven winner.

It should be noted that this choice might still be mildly influenced by application, because it is possible that the most perceptive users might be able to detect slight differences that cause them to prefer one prop over the other. Even still, the overall performance of either Acme Propeller is paramount, and is that from which dreams are made.

Was out in Spinxt's 2000 Response today. His tops out at 47mph mine at 48mph (not sure why as same boat & same Acme 515 prop.) Checked speeds with gps. WOT 47mph @ 4700rpm. Consistent with mine, checked at several speeds 32@3200. 34@3400, 36@3600. The 515 is smoother than our friends OJ XMP on a 2001 with same 325 hp Monsoon, and provides more "pop" when getting up, no drag.

• 1 year later...

I am running the OJ XMP 13X 11.5 on my SLXi. Love it. Smooth as silk. Great hole shot. At 36 mph it turns 3650-3700rpms, so there is about 100 rpms more than the speed at 32, 34,and 36 mph. I gave up about 1.5-2 mph on top end. I now run 43.8 mph on the GPS. Could have gone with the 12 pitch and run a bit faster, but I am on the low end of the wot rpm range...go figure...and other than die hard footers, who needs to run their bu wide open anyway?

The biggest thing I noticed about this prop vs. the OEM 13x13 stainless, is the absence of the rooster tail at slalom speeds. Before at 15 and 22 off, the rooster was very noticable. With the OJ, it dissappeared. It was worth the prop change for that alone.

Also, the idea of a 4 blade on bu DD boats...many of the 3 blade CNC props run a lot of surface area on the blades vs the cast 3 blades. Also, we run a 1:1 tranny. Most of the DDs running 4 blades have gear reduction trannys that allow them to do so. If the 4 blade was a good idea on a bu 3 event boat, don't you think they would be running them as OEM? Just a thought.

The folks at OJ are great and know their stuff. Give them a call and tell them what you are looking for. They will be able to help you a lot!!!

• 4 years later...

I know adding to an old post, '96 response same hull as my 96 echelon

here in northwest Indiana 750' 320 hp monsoon pushes the cvp 13x13 to 4750 rpm / 46.3mph

acme 515 13 x 12 5050 rpm 46.6 mph

the smoothness is certainly noticeable between the 2 props and wash is cleaner as well

the 515 is awesome - too chicken or too cheap to install the 449 13 x 12.625 fearing

it will only decrease my rpm and speed will pretty much be the same

acme suggested to me to increase the cup by .025 most likely maintaining the rpm

@ or close to 5k and maybe eek out .5 - 1 mph......

3 blades is always faster than 4 :)

I have an ACME 515 and a 425 for my sportster lx with monsoon. I prefer the 425 which is 13x13 for the lower RPM's.

I don't miss the hole shot difference in my light boat. Top speed? Heh I don't know... Faster then I can travel 99% if the time due to chop :)

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone I haven't been in here in a while since I sold the Bu to my buddy and ended up in a Sanger . I'm sorry to threadjak the tread but I figured this might be a good place to mention this .  I have 2 Acme 425 props in near perfect condition . I would love to trade 1 of them for an Acme 515 or possibly a 525. If anyone is interested feel free to email me [email protected] and Ill send you pics and of course id wanna see pics of your prop. Thanks