Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wedge

T-Squared

We went out yesterday for the first run of the season and ended up hitting something in the water. Cry.gif I was only going about 10.6 MPH as we were surfing...

I immediately stopped and emptied the tanks for a run back to the launch to see the damage. First thing I noticed was I couldn't get the wedge to move back up. I also had a horrible shake when I tried to go over 6 MPH. Loaded it on the trailer expecting the worst, luckily, there wasn't too much. Not sure how, but I barely dinged the prop but really bent the wedge. I removed it when I got home so I could take it in for repair/replacement.

P4180053.jpg

P4180054.jpg

I'm debating if I try and find the same wedge or if it's time to upgrade. Any idea what the costs would be to upgrade?

Also, this may be the time to find a spare prop and puller. Any recommendations on where I could get one that's not overly expensive?

Edited by T-Squared

Sorry to hear about the bad luck. You can get a spare prop and puller through the group buy if you become a supporter. The deal is realy good. If you want to go used repair shops in your area may have some for sale.

not to hijack the thread

i have an 08 vtx cut dimond, is it really worth it getting the manual wedge over here in australia it cost about $1500AU

to put it on. i know it make a lip on the wake but is worth the money

I did the same thing first time out this year, broke one of the arms in two and the foil rotated around 90 degrees.

I went for the upgrade to the stainless floating wedge. I couldn't be more pleased. It cost $1,100 from the dealer for the parts and I installed it. Mine was just a bolt-off, bolt-on proposition. The wake is noticeably bigger. I think the boat handles better too. Do a search; Wakegirl has a very detailed write up of the specifics of the wake shape after changing over.

I could have bought the original wedge for around $500 but the selling point for me was the fact that since it is not locked in place, I might avoid a repeat performance in the future. The bling factor doesn't hurt either. My old one was looking a bit dingy.

I guess the thing that I'm surprised at is that that is the old fixed wedge. I had heard that Malibu had gone away from that design completely, & that your only wedge choices now were floating or power. That is off of the '08 Vride in your profile, is that correct T?

Yes, I do have an 08 VRide and I do have the old wedge. I know its odd, but my dealer still installs these every now and then. I went this way as it was what I thought I wanted and the price was right at the time. :)

I spoke with them this morning and I have a couple of options. One is to replace the manual wedge, swap it out for the floater or get a power wedge. They know of someone local that is selling a PW. I am waiting to see some costs on everything, but I'm guessing the floater will put me back 1K easy with the bracket that I need.

Anyone selling a floating wedge? :)

• 5 weeks later...

Just an update on this, I ended up scrapping the manual wedge and installing the floating wedge yesterday. I took a couple pictures of how easy it was to remove the old plate and install the new floating wedge plate. For anyone wondering how difficult it is to swap, it took my wife and I about 20 minutes total to swap the brackets. Thumbup.gif

I will upload all the pictures tonight once I get home. This weekend will be the big test to see how well the new wedge performs over the old style. :)

EDIT: Pic's

P5190055.jpg

P5190056.jpg

P5190057.jpg

P5190059.jpg

I will be putting this to the test this weekend and will report back next week.

Edited by T-Squared

I've got a quick floating wedge question. Does the wedge need to be greased or kept pretty loose? Because mine is kind of tight and my boat has heck getting plained out when I deploy the wedge. ???

I've got a quick floating wedge question. Does the wedge need to be greased or kept pretty loose? Because mine is kind of tight and my boat has heck getting plained out when I deploy the wedge. ???

These boats do take longer to get on place with the wedge. The floating wedge should move very easily, if yours doesn't you may want to loosen the bolts that attach the arms to the bracket a touch to make things easier.

• 4 weeks later...
I did the same thing first time out this year, broke one of the arms in two and the foil rotated around 90 degrees.

I went for the upgrade to the stainless floating wedge. I couldn't be more pleased. It cost $1,100 from the dealer for the parts and I installed it. Mine was just a bolt-off, bolt-on proposition. The wake is noticeably bigger. I think the boat handles better too. Do a search; Wakegirl has a very detailed write up of the specifics of the wake shape after changing over.

I could have bought the original wedge for around $500 but the selling point for me was the fact that since it is not locked in place, I might avoid a repeat performance in the future. The bling factor doesn't hurt either. My old one was looking a bit dingy.

Excuse my newness / ignorance, but what is a "floating" wedge? I just bent a regular / manual one on my 05 Wakesetter VLX. If the foil is the only thing bent, can I just replace that?

Excuse my newness / ignorance, but what is a "floating" wedge? I just bent a regular / manual one on my 05 Wakesetter VLX. If the foil is the only thing bent, can I just replace that?

You just need to replace your wedge, assuming it can't be repaired. Check out the

"Boats and Accessories for Sale" Forum and you might be able to pick up a replacement

for $300 plus shipping. Occasionally, one will show up on E-Bay, as well as here.

To replace with a newer "floating wedge," you'd also need a new wedge plate specific for

the floater [and maybe a new backing plate, though I'm pretty sure Tracie said that that

wasn't necessary when she did hers]. IIRC, cost is like $1100, and you'll probably have

to go through your dealer.

No, the backing plate didn't need to be replaced, unless you have to have that SS bling deep in your engine compartment. :)

I'm curious to hear what T-Squared thinks of the floater on that boat. The wake is different enough on the SV23 vs. my V25 that I'd be curious to hear his thoughts.

Sorry for not replying sooner...

IMO the floating wedge doesn't do much for wakeboarding when compared to the older style wedge. It may add just a little more lip but nothing that noticeable. The older wedge added a nice lip at 22-24mph, 80ft back (where I ride). This year I swapped my tanks for 750 bags and I don't see myself using the wedge much as I don't really need it. When I filled the sac's and put the wedge down the boat took forever to get on plane and wouldn't hold a speed very well. With all the weight the wedge really isn't needed. With the floater...if you forget to put the wedge up before running to another spot (I did last weekend Whistling.gif ), the boat likes to have that bow bounce like a runabout, at 28-29mph.

For wakesurfing, this wedge is much better than the older style. We started with just the sac's filled (750 rear corner, 500 center, 540 bow and 4 adults) and the wave was pretty good. We dropped the wedge and it made the pocket longer and easier to ride for the beginners.

If anyone is thinking about upgrading I would highly recommend it. The difference in handling with the floating wedge is great compared to the older style wedge. You are not struggling to turn in tight areas and get up on plane. Thumbup.gif We ride on a couple rivers that have tight areas and with the older style wedge it was a pain to get turned around when a boarder fell.