Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New and lots of ?s

Hello all. I am new to all of this and really need some help.... Dont really know were to start with all of this forum stuff so just guide me along if you would please.

I have 2008 24 LSV with all the goodies on it. I love the way it rides, its fit and finish are great. But has anyone eles had trouble with theres. burns oil like crazy, (3 or more qt in a weekend) Of course I got the fix from Inmar .... my new dip stick... and the electronics are messed up all the time. put three shifters in it, alarms going off all the time, saying there is no oil pressure, or the wedge is down, and on and on. I had to get towed in twice. and had at least 12 or 15 service calls in the first 3 months.

has any one had this happen to them and what was the fix. We use the boat aout 3 weekends a month, May ---Sept.. I have never had a boat I love as much and hate a much all at the same time.

any help, advise, or comments would be great.

Thanks

Matt

Matt,

Welcome to the crew, sorry you're having the problems.

With what you are listing I don't think you need the forum at this point, I'm afraid you need your dealer.

There are some oil burning Indmars, but 3 quarts in a weekend is NOT normal. If you're burning this much oil it doesn't surprise me that your oil pressure alarm is going off.

If you've had it into the dealer 12 or 15 times for service you may want to contact Malibu. They have a program where they are reviewing 2008's. You may have had this done already if you've had three shifters.

If you do want assistance from the crew I would try to list each problem that remains with as much detail as you can about it. For example, you mention the shifter (throttle?) has been replaced 3 times. Is it fixed now? If not what was the original problem and why has it been replaced 3 times? Was the original problem not resolved or was there a new problem each time?

Best of luck to you and I hope you get your issues resolved.

Let me guess.... you have the Hammerhead?

Keep checking the oil, probably need to add it every time you put gas in the boat. And keep a couple quarts on board with you too. This should solve the oil alarm.

The Wedge alarm.... well, it's just a matter of knowing where your Wedge is, where the bottom of the lake is, and what speed your going.

Not sure why you'd need 3 shifters. What was the deal there?

And what electronics are messed? Speedometer? Malivue?

Oh, and welcome to the Crew.

Hello all. I am new to all of this and really need some help.... Dont really know were to start with all of this forum stuff so just guide me along if you would please.

I have 2008 24 LSV with all the goodies on it. I love the way it rides, its fit and finish are great. But has anyone eles had trouble with theres. burns oil like crazy, (3 or more qt in a weekend) Of course I got the fix from Inmar .... my new dip stick... and the electronics are messed up all the time. put three shifters in it, alarms going off all the time, saying there is no oil pressure, or the wedge is down, and on and on. I had to get towed in twice. and had at least 12 or 15 service calls in the first 3 months.

has any one had this happen to them and what was the fix. We use the boat aout 3 weekends a month, May ---Sept.. I have never had a boat I love as much and hate a much all at the same time.

any help, advise, or comments would be great.

Thanks

Matt

I would contact Malibu directly, this would not be acceptable. These are great boats, you should not be having that kind of experience. I would also look into any lemon laws in your state.

Has your dealer replaced the sensors on the CATS?

Has your computer been re-flashed?

When you say electronics are messed up, do you mean specifically the dash panel? Or are you having problems with the MUX switches? Have the MUX switches been replaced?

hey thanks for the replys... you will have to forgive me I dont know what MUX are.. If they are the buttons on the raido/dash then no i have not had them replaced. As far as the shifter goes, the boat had two hours on it. jumped in and it would only go backwards no foward. #2 was the dealer told me it was a recall, and I got a shifter that had no nutral button. (can not rev engine). #3 was the same as first it failed, and would not put boat into foward. with it being "fly by wire" it is beond me why it failed, that is the problem with eletronic they either work or they dont. the Wedge alarm keeps going off, and I dont have the power wedge, it is manual and is up. I dealer has "reset" it twice. other glitchs are somtime the perfect pass works and somtimes not. Do all the set up for different riders, and then eh there gone. I have spoken with the Malibu reps and they told me they are aware of some problems, they are going to put togather a list of fixes and sent them out to all of the 08 owners. Just have not seen anything outside of the dipstick, from Indmar. I want to keep this boat, it looks awsome, rides great, good power. Just can not trust it.

Just looking to see if I am the exception. LOL that would be just my luck cant find a winning lotto ticket but can find the only bad Malibu...

Thanks for the advice. We are looking foward to getting into the water real soon.

Matt

Just can not trust it.

To me this is the the big problem. You have a new boat, you should feel fine taking it out to the lake. Not having to worry if you will get stranded somewhere and towed (hopefully) back in.

I had a '99 I/O and it got to the point that I was grumpy (my wife's description) every time I took it out. Did we have a problem every time? No, but it got to were I didn't trust the boat and that gave me heartburn worrying about how the day would go. The boat is supposed to be my de-stress hobby, not something that adds to my work week troubles.

Good luck with getting this situation resolved. Please keep us informed.

...burns oil like crazy, (3 or more qt in a weekend) Of course I got the fix from Inmar .... my new dip stick...

No way you should be burning anywhere near that much oil - even with a 'bad' motor. Something seriously wrong - probably the piston rings. Are you getting an oily/black residue on your transom/swim platform? What about blue smoke/strong odor when riding behind it? Of everything you listed here, that should be your number one focus. And no, carrying around 2 or 3 extra quarts of oil is not an acceptable solution.

Other related questions: Are you the original owner? If so, did you follow the break-in procedure? Any evidence of oil in the bilge, or anywhere on the motor?

...burns oil like crazy, (3 or more qt in a weekend) Of course I got the fix from Inmar .... my new dip stick...

No way you should be burning anywhere near that much oil - even with a 'bad' motor. Something seriously wrong - probably the piston rings. Are you getting an oily/black residue on your transom/swim platform? What about blue smoke/strong odor when riding behind it? Of everything you listed here, that should be your number one focus. And no, carrying around 2 or 3 extra quarts of oil is not an acceptable solution.

Other related questions: Are you the original owner? If so, did you follow the break-in procedure? Any evidence of oil in the bilge, or anywhere on the motor?

Completely agree, every other problem on the boat is a distant second to this one.

Ask your dealer about the "Make It Right" program that Malibu has for their '08 boats.

No oil in on the back, no smoke, and nothing in the bilge. I bought the boat brand new... followed the break-in by the book. (that might be my problem) First time to follow the instructions. LOL My dealer has been real good to me and is helping me with Malibu... they assure me it will stop burning oil, I just dont understand how.

Thanks for your advise. and your guys are right its about getting away from the stress. Dragging the kids all over the place, and me trying tricks that will some day put me in traction. LOL. I am going to give this thing one more chance befor I start to really hammer malibu.

You guys have a great weekend.

Matt

Oh I forgot, It did burn 3 qts of oil one time over the three day weekend. But it was one time, I did not mean to give the impression that it burns 3 each time. But it does burn 1 or 2 every time. still to much in my book. My 2000 Expedtion with 167,000 miles on it does not burn oil like that

thanks

Matt

hey thanks for the replys... you will have to forgive me I dont know what MUX are.. If they are the buttons on the raido/dash then no i have not had them replaced. As far as the shifter goes, the boat had two hours on it. jumped in and it would only go backwards no foward. #2 was the dealer told me it was a recall, and I got a shifter that had no nutral button. (can not rev engine). #3 was the same as first it failed, and would not put boat into foward. with it being "fly by wire" it is beond me why it failed, that is the problem with eletronic they either work or they dont. the Wedge alarm keeps going off, and I dont have the power wedge, it is manual and is up. I dealer has "reset" it twice. other glitchs are somtime the perfect pass works and somtimes not. Do all the set up for different riders, and then eh there gone. I have spoken with the Malibu reps and they told me they are aware of some problems, they are going to put togather a list of fixes and sent them out to all of the 08 owners. Just have not seen anything outside of the dipstick, from Indmar. I want to keep this boat, it looks awsome, rides great, good power. Just can not trust it.

Just looking to see if I am the exception. LOL that would be just my luck cant find a winning lotto ticket but can find the only bad Malibu...

Thanks for the advice. We are looking foward to getting into the water real soon.

Matt

The MUX switches are the ones on either side of the wheel that control various functions of the boat. I wasn't clear from the first post if these were some of the electronic problems you were having. If so, you should have them replaced. Have you ever had drain on your battery? If either of these panels remains on, you may draw down your battery which may cause problems with the programing of your center panel AND/OR speed control (e.g. boat thinks you have power wedge, Perfect Pass won't work). I'm not talking about having a dead battery here--I'm saying if it drops too far below a full charge it will do WEIRD things to your electronics. You will not necessarily know this is happening, because the boat will start without problem. I would recommend that when you go to start the boat, you turn the key and see what the battery shows on the gauge.

My partner's boat had a similar problem with the boat thinking the power wedge was deployed. I don't remember how exactly we fixed it. . .I think we went into the set-up menu and removed or nullified the power wedge. After that, it may take 3 complete start up, warm up, cool down cycles before the fault code clears. There may also have been something on the MUX switch about the power wedge, and I removed that choice from the MUX panel buttons.

The shifter was a factory recall based on problems with exactly what you describe. I believe it is a mechanical problem with the shift lever, not an electronic issue. The "fixed" shifter did not have the neutral-only button. AFAIK, if your shifter has the neutral button, it is the original style and should NOT be on your boat. If you had to replace it after getting a 'new' one, you just got a bad shifter. The replacement shifters were not necessarily new. Also, there is a way to rev the engine, it just isn't as convenient.

Having said all that, the oil consumption is your number one problem.

On the plus side, your dealer and Malibu will get this taken care of.

Oh I forgot, It did burn 3 qts of oil one time over the three day weekend. But it was one time, I did not mean to give the impression that it burns 3 each time. But it does burn 1 or 2 every time. still to much in my book . My 2000 Expedtion with 167,000 miles on it does not burn oil like that

thanks

Matt

Absolutely agree - I don't even burn a quart of oil in mine in the 50 hours between changes. How many hours do you have on it now? And sorry if I missed it, but what engine is this? Hammerhead? Monsoon? I can understand 'a little' bit of oil burn during the break-in period. But once the rings have seated, it should be done. If you aren't already doing it, take good records of how much and how often (in terms of engine hours) you are adding oil. Document the type of usage between adding the oil - i.e. are you out boarding at what speed, # passengers, ballast, how long, any pleasure cruising, speed ranges, etc. If your dealer continues to tell you 'it will go away', then you need to escalate the issue. Call Malibu, call Indmar. At a minimum, that engine needs a rebuild - it is the only way it is going to stop burning the oil. Personally, I'd demand a brand new replacement.

I'm figuring from the new dipstick that he has the HH. Dipstick. Crazy.gif

New dipstick, meaning add more oil so when your low it's actually only a quart down from original standards. I think one of the biggest problems with these engines (HH) is that that don't address the root cause of the problem. Positive intake valve seals would help this burning oil issue tremendously, they also have way too much piston clearance for the HP they are putting down which causes more blow by or internal crank case pressure. I just can't believe they have let this issue go on for so long, GM had the same problem with the first LS2 based engines and corrected it within a year or so, now the LS3's are just running perfect from dealing with the issues learned from previous mistakes Whistling.gif