Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1987 Sunsetter Transom Repair

KeithL

Bought a used '87 Sunsetter...I am going to need to do complete transom work and new engine this fall/winter. Being new here would sure appreciate any directions/advice/links for products to assist and anything else that would go along with this work...

Thanks,

Welcome to the Crew.

Wish you luck on the repair. I'm not sure you will find many guys who have dug that deep into their boats. Typically the most fiberglass any of us have done is maybe a gelcoat chip repair or glassing in a subwoofer.

Any pics of the damage? Any idea of the cause?

complete transom work and a new engine? wow maybe time to look for another used boat for the amount of time and money you will have in this one.

pics please, good luck.

Edited by txwakejunkie

Lot of work involved but doable. You'll be spending a few thousand (especially with motor), so I'd say sell it and spend that money on an upgrade if possible.

However... I have the same boat and replaced the transom. You can use a router to cut out the wood from the inside-- just make sure you don't go too deep or you'll be redoing the back gel/glass as well. And don't pry too hard, or you will crack your gel coat. Just cut out most, then grind the rest out to the glass. Then, if you're not good at fiberglassing, I'd pay someone to glass new wood or composite back in. The most expensive part is in the labor of cutting it out and prepping. I also chose to double the thickness and strengthen the transom to use a wedge (since it originally wasn't designed for it).