Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Low RPM heater 'fix'

RoverOn

Have been thinking about this all year and finally pulled the trigger yesterday.\

When I pull the boat from storage on thw 19th, it will be complete with the heater 'Y' pipe fix...

Yes I am lazy/too busy and am having the dealer install it when they pull my boat out of storage...

Lazy.gif

I will post pics when I get it...

Heater fix:

Part - $35

Labor - $45

Driver not complaining that she is cold - priceless

Dave

Fantastic! I've been saying I'll fix mine for 3 seasons now. And to think heatercraft is just down the street about 30 miles.

For those of you with heaters, is there a cut-off for the hot water flow to the core so that it won't get hot in the summer? Seems like if the core was hot when the temp is high it might get uncomfortable just from radiated heat.

For those of you with heaters, is there a cut-off for the hot water flow to the core so that it won't get hot in the summer? Seems like if the core was hot when the temp is high it might get uncomfortable just from radiated heat.

i installed brass garden hose "Y's" at both the feed and return to the core. figured that some day the core would spring a leak and i didn't want to loose a set because of it. throw the lever on each "Y" and i am golden. brass cap on the 'other' part of the "Y" comes off to winterize the heater core. similar to the quick connects that sunriseh2oskier uses.

heater topics of late have the idle heat fix after the impeller. looked into the current oem installation / reasoning yet? may be worth giving dan @ heatercraft a call to see what is right today.

My new boat had the fix (haven't had a heater in years) and it is nice. I never really thought about it in the past, but once you fix it it is noticable.

I have the heater Y pipe, but can't figure out which hose gets attched to the Y pipe. I understand it needs to get spliced into the intake feed (before or after raw water pump) Dontknow.gif

Anyone have pics or directions for a 2002ish application?

I never noticed the extra heat. I did add shut off values to the core, but that was more to preserve the life of the core.

When I did the retro 2 years ago I was told by Heatercraft to install if before the raw pump with the Y single out let going to the raw pump. My 05 came with mounted on the after the raw pump with the Y single outlet going the engine. I remounted it to before the raw pump before ever using the boat and when I tried it out last week end I had great heat at idle from both of the heaters.

Troy, my pics are on the old site, can't yet post any here, and I've got a DD. . .

The idea is, splice the main part of the fitting into your intake hose. Take a 5/8 hose from your water pump area, remove that fitting and plug it, put that hose on the small fitting of the Y.

PM if you need some other direction.

Take a 5/8 hose from your water pump area, remove that fitting and plug it, put that hose on the small fitting of the Y.

Ok - I think that is the detail I needed - there is a 5/8 hose running to the top of the engine, into a water manifold thing... just hadn't heard about plugging any existing fittings, and the math just wansn't working for me (add this Y thing and connect the return hose from the heater Dontknow.gif I'm looking for some return hose needing a home Biggrin.gif )

The return hose form the heater goes to the side by the water pump on the block, remove the barb fitting and replace it with a brass plug from the hardware. I believe its 1/2" NTP fitting.

I have been trying to figure out how to re-do the supply so that cold lake water circulates through the core for some AC in the summer. Has any one tried this? Does it help?

The problem I seem to keep running into is find ing a Y fitting for a large dia. hose.

I put a set of quick disconnects on mine. Male on one side, female on the other. When I disconnect the heater, I just connect the feed to the return and have a closed loop. The things do get very hot in the summer. Blowup.gif

Troy, the hose that goes toward the top of your engine is the one you want to LEAVE THERE. It is where the hot water comes from. The hose you want to remove is lower, roughly half way down the engine. When you remove this hose there is a fitting left sitting there. You need to remove this and plug it with a brass plug, find in plumbing at a HW store. Contrary to Onamission, I believe it is 3/4" (NPT or MPT?). Basically, what you are doing is using the main impeller to pull water FROM the manifold, through the heater core. You are just changing what does the sucking (insert IKAGLTO joke here).

Hope this helps.

Once you get in the boat and start doing it, it is much easier than reading about it. I did it before and thought it would be hard, but it was pretty easy imo.

• 2 years later...

Okay, I need to open this topic back up for some help. My 2007 came with the heater installed and the Y-pipe fitting AFTER the impeller. It seems that I lack heat at idle and I would like to remedy this. My understanding is that I should take it off and splice it into the hose between the raw water inlet and the impeller housing. Is this correct? I just put that ^%$&*#@! hose back on after insterting a flush system in it. If I take it out of where it is currently, do I need to get another hose to replace that one or just put some kind of barbed splice fitting in there? I'll get some pics and see if I can make some sense out of this.

Why is the world would they continue to install them this way if it is better the other way? Frustrated.gifFrustrated.gifFrustrated.gif

Okay, I need to open this topic back up for some help. My 2007 came with the heater installed and the Y-pipe fitting AFTER the impeller. It seems that I lack heat at idle and I would like to remedy this. My understanding is that I should take it off and splice it into the hose between the raw water inlet and the impeller housing. Is this correct? I just put that ^%$&*#@! hose back on after insterting a flush system in it. If I take it out of where it is currently, do I need to get another hose to replace that one or just put some kind of barbed splice fitting in there? I'll get some pics and see if I can make some sense out of this.

Why is the world would they continue to install them this way if it is better the other way? Frustrated.gifFrustrated.gifFrustrated.gif

I believe that Malibu puts it after the raw pump because of a Coast Guard regulation and yes you can just put a barbed splice fitting where the Y fitting was. I changed mine to before the raw pump, one of my ski partners still has his after the pump and I haven't really noticed a difference.

I believe that Malibu puts it after the raw pump because of a Coast Guard regulation and yes you can just put a barbed splice fitting where the Y fitting was. I changed mine to before the raw pump, one of my ski partners still has his after the pump and I haven't really noticed a difference.

Thanks for the quick response. I went ahead and changed it and placed the barbed fitting and so we'll see if I can tell a difference! I'm about sick of hose clamps and barbed fittings though!