Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacement "dog house"

Hennessy

I have a 1988 malibu sunsetter with a 454 indmar in it, I just recently replaced the exuast Risers and manifolds with the current indmar part, which seemed like an identical part. Well it must be a bit wider because the dog house is now pressing on the risers. It fits but with alittle effort. I know that the 454 was a tight fit originally for that boat, but now it is like those favorite pants after thanksgiving. So the question is are there any sources that sell replacement "dog Houses" for the DD inboards? or is there a type of a boat salvage yard that might have something that might work?

I have a 1988 malibu sunsetter with a 454 indmar in it, I just recently replaced the exuast Risers and manifolds with the current indmar part, which seemed like an identical part. Well it must be a bit wider because the dog house is now pressing on the risers. It fits but with alittle effort. I know that the 454 was a tight fit originally for that boat, but now it is like those favorite pants after thanksgiving. So the question is are there any sources that sell replacement "dog Houses" for the DD inboards? or is there a type of a boat salvage yard that might have something that might work?

Sorry I'm no help, but I gotta say Lake Wylie is sweet. Beer.gif I'm stuck on the wine and cheese lake up North of you. Not many of us Carolinians on here, good luck in your search!

I'm doubtful that you'll find a replacement motor box that will fit your boat, and still be any wider. How much extra room do you need? Are with talking millimeters or centimeters?

This would be a longshot, but you could check with Correct Craft. They used to sell the Ski Nautique 196 with a 502 Python motor. Their clamshell engine cover from that model may cover your engine if they still have any available.

The problem is that in an '88 the exhaust runs over the top of the rear motor mounts, so the engine box is considerably longer to fit everything. On newer boats, the exhaust is routed down under the motor mounts, which makes the engine box around 8 inches shorter.

Here's a crazy idea: Maybe use your current one as an inner mold for a new one. Put your newfound fiberglass skills to use and lay it up with however much fiberglass / resin appropriate for strength and get an upholstery shop to finish it off.

It would be wider by a factor of how thick your existing cover is, and you could go bigger from there by firring out the mold with some sort of foam or something?

edit: or better yet, cut yours down the middle and glass in a 1" filler, recover from there, presto!

Edited by Green_Giant
This would be a longshot, but you could check with Correct Craft. They used to sell the Ski Nautique 196 with a 502 Python motor. Their clamshell engine cover from that model may cover your engine if they still have any available.

I'll do some looking, the 454 and the 502 uses the same manifolds and risers so this might be an option.

I like the idea of a rebuild, but that will be a winter project, then i could customize it.

Its tight but it still fits, so i might let it ride but i will keep an eye on the temp of the house.

Have a look here (and scroll down of the bottom of the page):

83 SN 2001 Motor Box Modification

This guy installed aftermarket manifolds and could no longer fit the motor in the motorbox. This thread details how he modified his (along with the entire rebuild of the boat).

Edited by Mechmaster
I'm doubtful that you'll find a replacement motor box that will fit your boat, and still be any wider. How much extra room do you need? Are with talking millimeters or centimeters?

I think you meant a fraction of an inch or inches....or I missed a memo about malibu working in metric

I think you meant a fraction of an inch or inches....or I missed a memo about malibu working in metric

Sorry, it's habit now, I'll try to go back to a more inferior system. :)

And we all know that Chris is inferior, so he should understand pretty well.

Whistling.gif

And we all know that Chris is inferior, so he should understand pretty well.

Whistling.gif

Jack, why don't you go and find a Schrader valve or something.

In my line of work all I have to do is tools>options>units>metric to change all my beautifully designed fixtures from inches to non-sense. Besides all the machinists I know hate metric.