Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Perfect Pass Stargazer

fijidaniel

Ok, so I'm about to bite the bullet and order the PP Stargazer. I have a 200 VLX and the setup is Gauge Cluster on the left, Speedo in the center, and tach on the right. Is my best option to replace the tach with the PP display? I think it is a 5 inch gauge.

Here is what they need to get me the right part:

Boat year make model

Engine make model hp (efi or carb)

Gauge Size (3.5 or 5 inch)

Face color (black or white)

Bezel color (chrome or black)

What do you guys think looks better? Black face with black bezel, White with black or what?

Edited by fijidaniel

If believe your stock guages are black. If so I would go Black on Black. I had 2 speedo's so that was easy for me to lose one. I think most people get rid of the tach with the newer guage packages.

I would move the tach to the center, and remove the speedo, and put PP on the right...it's just a personal preference. I don't think I ever look at the speedo I still have, but I do watch the tach. But with the multi-line PP display that you would be getting, I think tach and speed are always up there to see. With my single line PP display, it's not always there.

Got it ordered and on the way. Any tips to install? I'm starting from scratch and heard that the harderst part was fishing the wire from the servo motor to the dash.

I have a document with pictures that I got from the original Malibuboatowners site years ago, but its still applicable. Obviously you can ignore the paddlewheel part. And since your not drilling a hole in your boat, fishing the wires is the hardest part.

My attempts to upload have failed from my current location. I will try to upload it tonight.

Edited by bretski75

Fishing the wires really is the toughest part. The old MBO how-to referred to above, minus the pictures, is at http://www.wakesiderides.com/viewArticle.php?id=221 Jason did that article IIRC, so maybe he'll see this before you get started and post the pics for ya. Between that how-to and the install guide that comes with PP itself it's hard to get stuck.

Mike

I don't have the pictures anymore (unfortunately), but if you click on the images at WakesideRides the image will actually load in the pop-up window.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I've been reading up on that quite a bit as I have been doing alot of research on the web about the install. At least I don't have to drill the hole though! I heard that was fun.

^^^ Drilling that hole is something I don't want to do again anytime soon, but really wasn't too bad.

The fishing wasn't too bad on my DD, but it's not as far as your VLX. I was able to feed a fish tape pretty easily & removed one of the vents in the stringer/FIBECs to make it easier to find the tape.

Edited by wienrdog

Drivers on the walkthru panel, with just enough clearance between it and the wiring harness to plug in the connectors.

The wires for the gauges were not long enough to even consider mounting on the passenger side.

I did like onamission & installed a judge's display by my right leg/fire extinguisher/cup holder & didn't replace any of my dash gauges.

Edit: Of course the location of the components in a VLX could be quite different.

Edited by wienrdog