Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Coloured hull and mooring in water...opinions....

Plan on purchasing a 2006 wakesetter VLX during the fall for spring delivery, and need some opinion of coloured hulls vs white.

Now from my knowledge white obviously is the best colour to maintain and keeps looking good. The boat will be moored in the water basically from spring to fall from the months of may to october (6 months) Due to the location of my cottage being in muskoka with lots of rocks and a steep drop in water level, adding a lift or railway is tough.

Was chatting with local dealer (sun and ski in Bala) and he recomended going with white. Does anyone have experience with a black hull or blue? The manual does say no to leave moored in the water as gel coat will fail. I dont mind srubbing the boat down every weekend, getting it out of the water is a bit of a pain.

It's a big investment and I wouldn't want to wreck the boat.

Thanks in advance for your input and suggestions.

I have wanted a solid color hull since my first Malibu but my dealer keeps telling me not too do it, especially if I plan on keeping the boat a while. The colors will fade being in the water that much.

iirc the warranty fine print excludes some solid (not white) hull coverages.

also, i don't think washing it weekly is going to have much effect on the damage caused by floating 24x7 for the season.

i do like the solid colored hull.

wanted it since i first saw it.

not sure it is worth $700.

rather put the $$ into the fuel tank.

Edited by tvano

I leave mine moored for 6 months a year but I pull it out every 6 weeks for cleaning and wax. I usually leave it out for several days to dry out properly. This works well and my hull is white. I don't think leaving it in for the whole summer would be wise because of the stains and possible blistering.

iirc the warranty fine print excludes some solid (not white) hull coverages.

also, i don't think washing it weekly is going to have much effect on the damage caused by floating 24x7 for the season.

i do like the solid colored hull. 

wanted it since i first saw it.

not sure it is worth $700.

rather put the $$ into the fuel tank.

You'll want to check with your dealer to verify, but I don't believe that there's an upcharge for the solid hull. Also, I thought that they did away with the warranty exclusion on the solid colored hulls in '05, BICBW. Again, check with your dealer to verify both of those things.

If you leave the boat moored in the water that long it's almost surely to blister. The gel coat isn't designed to be left continuously in the water.

The manual recommends painting the bottom with ablative paint if you plan on doing that, regardless of color. Like somone mentioned, I'd contact the dealer or factory for advice.

In '05 the exclusion for colored hulls in the warranty went away.

Also in '05 there was definitely a charge to color the hull or deck any color besides the "standard" colors -- white, graphite, moonbeam, and a few other colors (I think) are free. Anything else is around $700 or a little more for hull, and another equal charge for deck (I did both)

I love my black hull, but if I was going to moor in the water I'd get a white bottom, because it would be easier to fix the inevitable gel-coat blisters.

Edited by Boomer

Thanks for the great info guys and gals!! Yahoo.gif

I am leaning towards going with colour right to the waterline and then white. I just don't want to have issues of spending money on fixing blisters in the gel coat.

Hydrohoists/Boatfloaters, etc tend to live forever....the motor (double-impeller blower set-up) went out this past spring. Called up the factory, ordered one...had it in a few days...that's really the only thing to go out. The guy at the factory said "they just don't die"...there are 20 year ++ lifts out there. Mine is at least 10 years old.