Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Spare Prop?

There are lots of threads on differen't props for differen't boats. And as people's needs are differen't, peoples opinions are differen't.

In short, its nice to have a spare. If your happy with what you have ( rpm's, holeshot, top end) and rarely have prop damage, then a cheaper referbed may be your route.

If you want to change things here is your chance.OJ or ACME seem to be the standard.

If your looking to go the cheaper route, the OJ 4 force is / was an excellent prop, but still a step below the newest type. And there probably are a number of people that have upgraded that will give you a deal.

I've been able to run the same stainless prop for 17 years.

I'm careful in the shallows and I did install a Humminbird Fish Finder with the temp guage so that I could see the bottom and keep me from dinging my prop. I mounted that screen on top of the dash and my guests get a kick out of seeing the fish, observing the different types of bottom, along with the water temp. That way I have a very readable display with an alarm that warns me when it's getting too shallow. It sounds hokey but works well for me.

Lately we've been having more passengers on board so I decided to buy a lower pitch stainless prop. Power has not been a problem but last summer we started pulling two skiers up at once (great fun) again and I hope to encourage more dual skier runs this summer for our friends.

I just installed it and have not been on the water yet. I'm sure I will be able to redline with just me on board.

I picked one up from iboats.com on a $100 off promotion.

So you might search around and see what prices are and then take advantage when a deal comes around.

Edited by DONTW8

Everyone should always have a spare prop. It's like having a spare tire for your car or trailer.

I'd also suggest that you get a prop puller "kit" like the one linked above. They contain certain tools and parts that you may need.

Now, what prop to get? That's a whole 'nother story. Depends if you're happy with what you have now. I happen to still run the OEM OJ prop on my boat and have the exact same prop as my spare.