Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

If ordering a boat what engine would you choose on a 23LSV

Bobby Light

I know this has been talked about before and probably even beaten to death.

If you were to order a new boat (23 LSV) what motor would you choose assuming you would be paying the standard upcharge for engine upgrade (assume 5k). If it was a free upgrade it wouldn't even be a choice.

Things I need to take into cosideration in my choice:

Fuel consumption (my monsoon now is good on gas but I have a vlx).

Boat used for primarily wakesurfing and secondary wakeboarding, no skiing.

I boat on large lakes with plenty of water to travel between riding spots, and for cruising.

I don't boat on lakes with gas pumps, maybe once a year.

Also who has figured out what their HH burns per hour in fuel?

Thanks.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bobby Light

• WakeGirl

• Malibudude

• 68Slalom

I know this has been talked about before and probably even beaten to death.

If you were to order a new boat (23 LSV) what motor would you choose assuming you would be paying the standard upcharge for engine upgrade (assume 5k). If it was a free upgrade it wouldn't even be a choice.

Things I need to take into cosideration in my choice:

Fuel consumption (my monsoon now is good on gas but I have a vlx).

Boat used for primarily wakesurfing and secondary wakeboarding, no skiing.

I boat on large lakes with plenty of water to travel between riding spots, and for cruising.

I don't boat on lakes with gas pumps, maybe once a year.

Also who has figured out what their HH burns per hour in fuel?

Thanks.

Are you going to Bakes, Malibu Demo Days?

That should help you make your choice a lot easier. Im guessing they have 09 LSV's with both the Monsoon and HH on hand to drive.

Im guessing that the fuel consumtion factor will become a nonissue and it will boil down to feel, handling, response, and ride.

Good luck!

HH or 8.1

HH will not burn any more than the Monsoon at wakesurf or board speeds. I'd prop down a HH a touch for that use, or get an 8.1.

Peter :)

I have owned two 23 LSV's with HH. With factory ballast, wedge, and Acme 1235, these boats have never failed to deliver anything but superior performance. I cannot imagine needing more power.

HH with prop,

I have monsoon with prop now on a 23lsv and it does fine but when really heavy i can tell it could use a bit more humph. thats why i say HH.

HH with prop,

I have monsoon with prop now on a 23lsv and it does fine but when really heavy i can tell it could use a bit more humph. thats why i say HH.

Knowing how frustrating it is to feel "under powered".. how can you be so sure the HH would be sufficient? ;)

Personally, I would not go monsoon, but would be torn between HH & 8.1.. cost of upgrade vs other factors would probably be the biggest factor

HH with prop,

Knowing how frustrating it is to feel "under powered".. how can you be so sure the HH would be sufficient? ;)

Personally, I would not go monsoon, but would be torn between HH & 8.1.. cost of upgrade vs other factors would probably be the biggest factor

Lets go through this a bit :) HH is a 6.3L which has approx. 360hp/310tq to the prop the difference between the 8.1 is approx. 1.8L which really only equals about 25-35hp more but much more tq somewhere between 360 and 370. If we could take the weight factors and really calculate hp/tq per lb. then we would have some more solid numbers, so we won't go into that right now, but if this was about a 247, no doubt 8.1 all the way. I think the HH is more than enough power but if money is not an issue

8.1 all the way Thumbup.gif

on the HH (6.2L, not 6.3), we lose over 100 HP to the prop...from 425 to 310?... that doesn't seem right. I'll agree with the HP rating.

There's no replacement for displacement... 8.1 will give you the most power, but personally, our HH works exactly how we want our engine to. 8.1 will burn more fuel. It may not be a large difference, but it will add up over the years.

You will need to prop with the HH though to get the best holeshot. Stock prop sucks.

on the HH (6.2L, not 6.3), we lose over 100 HP to the prop...from 425 to 310?... that doesn't seem right. I'll agree with the HP rating.

There's no replacement for displacement... 8.1 will give you the most power, but personally, our HH works exactly how we want our engine to. 8.1 will burn more fuel. It may not be a large difference, but it will add up over the years.

You will need to prop with the HH though to get the best holeshot. Stock prop sucks.

I rounded off the numbers in benefit of the HH, technically is a 6.2 theoretically it's really a 6.3 mathematically, won't go into that but hp drop doesn't seem right Dontknow.gif Is there dyno numbers or stats of hp loss from the engine to drive train (vdrive/trans)?

That information would be great if you can provide it :)

Edited by 68Slalom

What altitude? I was a big fan of the "use the base motor wiht the right prop" school, but my buddy's VLX wiht the monsoon, and OVERpropped for 5000ft of elevation barely had enough power. Get a big block. Most will not burn more gas, they will cruise at lower RPMs.

What is the upcharge for Monsoon ?

What is the upcharge for Hammerhead ?

What is the upcharge for 8.1 ?

I see you have an 2006 Malibu now.

Why are you changing ? Once you know that answer it may determine which motor you need.

If this will be your last boat then 8.1 is the logical answer. No reason to trade after that.

If you're gonna trade every 3 years then any old motor with a big prop will get you by. Spend the savings on fuel.

Why are you changing ? Once you know that answer it may determine which motor you need.

If this will be your last boat then 8.1 is the logical answer. No reason to trade after that.

If you're gonna trade every 3 years then any old motor with a big prop will get you by. Spend the savings on fuel.

No upcharge on monsoon it's standard on the 23lsv. HH is about 5K upcharge, and I think the 8.1 is 3K ontop of that so 8K... I could be a bit off.

I want a little bigger boat and the 23 fits the bill.

HH...likely not that much difference in gas, but would venture to guess the 8.1L would be alot more thirsty.

Now...I personally would love to have the newest Indmar Diesel that are developing! Would imagine they would need at least a 2 speed tranny for it.

TORQUE BABY! :salute:

Edited by WaveMake'nLSV

I rounded off the numbers in benefit of the HH, technically is a 6.2 theoretically it's really a 6.3 mathematically, won't go into that but hp drop doesn't seem right Dontknow.gif Is there dyno numbers or stats of hp loss from the engine to drive train (vdrive/trans)?

That information would be great if you can provide it :)

Be careful making those comparisons, the drive ratio is not the same for those 2 motors. I think it's 1.5:1 redux on the HH, 1.2:1 redux on the 8.1. Even though the prop is tuned to set up a theoretically identical final drive ratio, real world factors like prop surface area can & do make a difference.

I'm with Sac, cost of the upgrade would have me conflicted. That said, I think that the 8.1 burns a lot more fuel across the board. For reference, my HH in the VLX was pretty consistent at 5-5.5 gph no matter what we did. I don't think that you get the big gas tank in that boat either like you do in the 247, so I'd be hesitant to go with the 8.1. I suspect that your on-the-water time would be diminished a bit with an 8.1 in that boat.

I'm picking up my new 2009 LSV next weekend with the standard Moonsoon. I went with the standard because that was the engine in the boat to begin with. I was also concerned about the power in the Monsoon and thought I might need a bigger motor. The sales guy, my friend, sold me on the fact that with the power wedge the standard motor will work just fine. He says the wedge doesn't drop until you reach around 90% of the set speed. So, you're pulling a lot less drag out of the hole than you would with the wedge fully deployed as in the past. Obviously, if money wasn't a factor, I would have gone with the 8.1.

I was also concerned about the power in the Monsoon and thought I might need a bigger motor. The sales guy, my friend, sold me on the fact that with the power wedge the standard motor will work just fine. He says the wedge doesn't drop until you reach around 90% of the set speed. So, you're pulling a lot less drag out of the hole than you would with the wedge fully deployed as in the past.

:unsure: HUH? Unless something has changed, I don't believe the wedge moves unless you activly tweak it. Quite the salesmen Whistling.gif