Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to teach kid wakeboarding

mrothwell

My 13yo daughter is getting into boarding this year, I taught her a couple years ago, but she never really did anything other than get up and follow the boat. This year she is getting a little brave and is cutting back and forth with a little authority, even some small jumps.

I'm a skier. I know how to get up and I can jump W2W, but that's about it on a board. I'm sure that my form isn't even close to correct. I just dont know how to teach her to help her improve. What is the best way to teach her? I think that next year I will try to get her into a board school, but what do I do to help her now?

As always, thank you for your support.

Get one of the instructional videos. I like Waketrix - it's not too expensive and I found it to be very helpful in instructing others. I have heard that The Book is great, but it is expensive and goes well beyond what you will need for some time. Shaun Murray's Detention is also good for an older instructional video and pretty funny too.

Again, you can teach after learning from sources like these even if you yourself can't do them behind the boat.

Another idea that helped my kids was to hire one of the local pros to go out with you and the kids for a private session. (assuming there may be some in your area)

Reasons I really liked it:

- it was on my boat with our gear

- lots of helpful tips

- really fired the kids up about the sport Rockon.gif

It ran $100/hr for the boat and was worth every penny. My kids still talk about it almost 2 yrs later.

It helps bring some of the DVD and other training tools come to life for us.

Edited by TOAST

Make sure you don't go to fast because if she falls and gets hurt she will never want to wake board again. The best thing to do is just take her out and let her figure stuff out try new things.

Make sure you don't go to fast because if she falls and gets hurt she will never want to wake board again. The best thing to do is just take her out and let her figure stuff out try new things.

That's why she is progressing this year - she has taken some falls and realized that they dont hurt and she gets right back on the board. Now that she knows it's ok to fall, she is taking some chances.

Unfortunately, this summer just didn't work out for lessons, but I will try for next summer. In the mean time, I will see about getting some DVD's.

Thanks guys (and Tracy)

Hands down the Book 1&2! :salute: They are easy to follow, visual, and help you regardless of previous experience or age.

As a person who never rode ANYTHING behind a boat before this summer I am the biggest fan of the book and my 2 personal teachers (tgaugh and Rich).

The books 1&2 really help you progress as your confidence grows when riding the board. You go out there with "board drills" and actual lessons to help you grow. I am not yet at the 1080 or Dallas Friday level but hey, I can carve/edge with the best of them and finally caught air last weekend. Note: catching air was actually intentional and did not result in a faceplant. Biggrin.gif

Also, the help and facilitation of experienced riders is also an asset (again regardless of age) making the sport fun and free to make mistakes is key. I can't tell you how many bad faceplants I took Cry.gif and the kindness of my teachers to keep me motivated on the water.

Ok, I'll shut up now. ;)

.....  I am not yet at the 1080 ....level but hey

Neither am I "but I have the T shirt"... 1080 that is.

I also have printed the sheets from WakeWorld and brought them on the boat with me to read right before I go on "the mission to see how long it takes Dad to do a few face plants", or so says one of my kids.

just dont know how to teach her to help her improve.  What is the best way to teach her?  I think that next year I will try to get her into a board school, but what do I do to help her now?

Mrothwell - get her out with someone who wakeboards Biggrin.gif John Klein and I are out on Folsom (from EDH) on a regular basis. We both have kids that board (well mine 7yo is just learning)

PM us if you'd like to join us sometime

Mrothwell - get her out with someone who wakeboards  Biggrin.gif  John Klein and I are out on Folsom (from EDH) on a regular basis.  We both have kids that board (well mine 7yo is just learning)

That's what I'm going to try to do, I have a message in to a guy that used to go out with me. He said he would come out and help her out. He has boarded with John several times.

Mrothwell - get her out with someone who wakeboards  Biggrin.gif   John Klein and I are out on Folsom (from EDH) on a regular basis.  We both have kids that board (well mine 7yo is just learning)

That's what I'm going to try to do, I have a message in to a guy that used to go out with me. He said he would come out and help her out. He has boarded with John several times.

Alright... well let us know if we can help Biggrin.gif

just dont know how to teach her to help her improve.  What is the best way to teach her?  I think that next year I will try to get her into a board school, but what do I do to help her now?

Mrothwell - get her out with someone who wakeboards Biggrin.gif John Klein and I are out on Folsom (from EDH) on a regular basis. We both have kids that board (well mine 7yo is just learning)

Just make sure your don't ski when Troy is around...he screws up your water Tease2.gif

Participate in any clinics your local Bu Dealer may offer (if any). I see many younger kids benefit from Gerry Nunn when he comes around each year. We had 3 kids under 10 in the boat yesterday....all beginning to board. It was a looong morning, to say the least. We stayed positive for them, and always told them they were good at wiping out. It's easy when it's someone elses kids, and you don't wakeboard.

ROFL.gif

Participate in any clinics your local Bu Dealer may offer (if any). I see many younger kids benefit from Gerry Nunn when he comes around each year. We had 3 kids under 10 in the boat yesterday....all beginning to board. It was a looong morning, to say the least. We stayed positive for them, and always told them they were good at wiping out. It's easy when it's someone elses kids, and you don't wakeboard.

ROFL.gif

That made me think of something else. Kids seem to respond well to not only peers, but the parents of their peers especially when mom & dad aren't around. Don't ask me why (maybe they're less nervous), but they seem to do really well in those situations when their own parents aren't around.

That made me think of something else.  Kids seem to respond well to not only peers, but the parents of their peers especially when mom & dad aren't around.  Don't ask me why (maybe they're less nervous), but they seem to do really well in those situations when their own parents aren't around.

I agree fully with this - I can teach kids to ski much easier if their parents either are not there, or just keep their mouths closed. I've found that my kids can be taught by other adults better than I can teach them. It's just a parent/child thing.