Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Manta ray

brlanha

I know this is completely random but have any of u heard about these flying manta ray tubes you pull?? THese people are 15+ ft in the air in some of the videos I have watched, I want one!!supposebly they discontinued manufacturing them, but are still on ebay.

Yes, they can be a lot of fun with the proper boat operator knowing how to pull one and the rider having common sense. They did stop making them sometime ago. You can find some stores still carry them, and you can find them on Ebay. Just google Kite tube. They are pricey in the $450-700 range if you can get ahold of one. While your watching the videos on them watch the crashes and subsequent injuries from them as well. Might change your mind about the fun of owning one.

I know this is completely random but have any of u heard about these flying manta ray tubes you pull?? THese people are 15+ ft in the air in some of the videos I have watched, I want one!!supposebly they discontinued manufacturing them, but are still on ebay.

I believe they were discontinued and outlawed due to the likelyhood of injury. There are some other youtube vids that show broken necks and such...

Yes, they can be a lot of fun with the proper boat operator knowing how to pull one and the rider having common sense. They did stop making them sometime ago. You can find some stores still carry them, and you can find them on Ebay. Just google Kite tube. They are pricey in the $450-700 range if you can get ahold of one. While your watching the videos on them watch the crashes and subsequent injuries from them as well. Might change your mind about the fun of owning one.

Medicdiver,

I noticed ur from rockford. Im in the naperville area, but my job is moving me to rockford in the fall.. where do u usually boat at?

Medicdiver,

I noticed ur from rockford. Im in the naperville area, but my job is moving me to rockford in the fall.. where do u usually boat at?

Chain-o-Lakes?

Plus1.gif

The Manta Ray and the Kite Tube are different, the Kite tube is outlawed, the Manta Ray is not. The Kite Tube is very dangerous and has been recalled by the manufacturer, they can catch a gust of wind and climb straight up. They are very unstable and can easily flip over throwing the rider and causing serious injury or death. Some friends purchased one when they first sold them and a few people who rode them were hurt enough that our friends never used it again, eventually got a credit from the manufacturer. The Manta Ray is more stable and requires some serious speed to become airborn, I have rode one only once before with no wind, so I am no expert. :unsure:

My friend has one, I haven't rode on it (I don't really want to die) but I have watched plenty of people. I am usually down for anything behind a boat...not this though!

i have one, tested it behind a small boat last year and couldnt get more than 3 feet off the water going 30mph.. gonna test it behind the bu on memorial day... will update!

I've seen video of the manta ray and a friend of a friend had one...they are a little more stable then the kite tube but I've also seen where they can nose dive driving the person head first onto the tube/and or water....

As for the kite tube, I think I must have been 1 of the first in michigan. I saw it at a boat show and bought one as soon as I bought my boat (old boat).

Within 2 summers I watched different friends go through the following injuries:

1 friend 250lbs was only 5 ft off the water and dropped hard. Concussion and minor neck injury, visited the hospital and had no memory of the event or following evening, vomitting.

2 friends had significant neck pain but did not go to the hospital..they fell from about 10 ft.

then the one that ended the kite tube:

A friend managed to get about 20 ft high (I was not driving this time) and the tube flipped and drove him (he was about 210 lbs) to the water. Chipped a tooth and blew a blood vessel in his eye. One of the girls on the boat was finishing up med school and did some cursory checks. He appeared OK at the time and refused to go to the hospital. 3 hrs later we went back out for one last session and he started moving his arm in a really weird motion, we asked him if he was ok and he couldn't respond....we stopped the boat and all of a sudden he went into a full blown catatonic seizure. Blood started coming out of his mouth and I grabbed the cell and called 911. I had read stories about other kite tubers having internal bleeding and eventually bleeding out of their mouth and then eventually dying so I was fearing the worst. We got back to the dock and the ambulance showed up. He came out of his seizure but didn't know where he was or what he was doing but he didn't want to get out of the boat and he's a pretty strong guy so it was a challenge to get him out and onto a backboard on the dock. He was taken to UM hospital (not covered under his insurance) and thankfully checked out ok. He spent the night in the hospital and was diagnosed with severe head trauma but had a full recovery, THANK GOD. Going through that experience was enough for me to get rid of it. The tube was already recalled at this point so I took it back to the shop I bought it from and got a dry suit, wakeboard, and rope ($500 was the tube cost).

Then last summer another friend who still has his kite tube was pulling a friend and he wiped out from 20 ft up and blew his ear drum.

Now having said that all, the kite tube can be relatively safe IF (and only IF) the driver is paying very very very close attention to the rider and their height. The problem is it's hard to do this and drive safely at the same time. And unfortunately the communication between the spotter and driver are not nearly fast enough to save a person from a big fall. It also seemed to be rider dependent. I had no stability problems (I weigh 230). My friend at 210 always had stability issues. My friend at 170 had stability issues where as my neighbor at 150 never once had any issues. I even had him up to an estimated 40 ft. I have video of him at about 30 ft. No problems. Very inconsistent from person to person.

I'd stay away from both, it can be fun, but not worth it.

Medicdiver,

Chain-o-Lakes?

Plus1.gif

Small world, Im up there most of the time. My friend has a place on grass lake in antioch

I've seen video of the manta ray and a friend of a friend had one...they are a little more stable then the kite tube but I've also seen where they can nose dive driving the person head first onto the tube/and or water....

As for the kite tube, I think I must have been 1 of the first in michigan. I saw it at a boat show and bought one as soon as I bought my boat (old boat).

1 friend 250lbs was only 5 ft off the water and dropped hard. Concussion and minor neck injury, visited the hospital and had no memory of the event or following evening, vomitting.

2 friends had significant neck pain but did not go to the hospital..they fell from about 10 ft.

A friend managed to get about 20 ft high (I was not driving this time) and the tube flipped and drove him (he was about 210 lbs) to the water. Chipped a tooth and blew a blood vessel in his eye. One of the girls on the boat was finishing up med school and did some cursory checks. He appeared OK at the time and refused to go to the hospital. 3 hrs later we went back out for one last session and he started moving his arm in a really weird motion, we asked him if he was ok and he couldn't respond....we stopped the boat and all of a sudden he went into a full blown catatonic seizure. Blood started coming out of his mouth and I grabbed the cell and called 911. I had read stories about other kite tubers having internal bleeding and eventually bleeding out of their mouth and then eventually dying so I was fearing the worst. We got back to the dock and the ambulance showed up. He came out of his seizure but didn't know where he was or what he was doing but he didn't want to get out of the boat and he's a pretty strong guy so it was a challenge to get him out and onto a backboard on the dock. He was taken to UM hospital (not covered under his insurance) and thankfully checked out ok. He spent the night in the hospital and was diagnosed with severe head trauma but had a full recovery, THANK GOD. Going through that experience was enough for me to get rid of it. The tube was already recalled at this point so I took it back to the shop I bought it from and got a dry suit, wakeboard, and rope ($500 was the tube cost).

Then last summer another friend who still has his kite tube was pulling a friend and he wiped out from 20 ft up and blew his ear drum.

Now having said that all, the kite tube can be relatively safe IF (and only IF) the driver is paying very very very close attention to the rider and their height. The problem is it's hard to do this and drive safely at the same time. And unfortunately the communication between the spotter and driver are not nearly fast enough to save a person from a big fall. It also seemed to be rider dependent. I had no stability problems (I weigh 230). My friend at 210 always had stability issues. My friend at 170 had stability issues where as my neighbor at 150 never once had any issues. I even had him up to an estimated 40 ft. I have video of him at about 30 ft. No problems. Very inconsistent from person to person.

wow thats craz!y! Thanks for the warning, def changed my mind

After reading these post - I went to youtube to see how these thing work, after watching few clips - I would have to agree- Anyone that rides one of these things is nuts! I realize all sports have risk - but this thing is a death trap.

wow thats craz!y! Thanks for the warning, def changed my mind

A pilots point of view,

when the manta ray is close to the water it is operating in "ground effect" this ground effect keeps things stable for the rider. Above a hight of 50% of span the manta ray is actually flying. The inconsistanceies noted above come from a chenge in center of gravity. The weight of the rider must be at the right location for stable flight. too far aft and the air foil will go into aerodynamic stall and stop flying. This stall is what causes the nose dive. The center of lift will change because of speed, temp., angle of attack(steepness). and any gusts of wind that might come about. Without any way of controlling lift, speed, drag and loading these things are dangerous. There are reasons that NASCAR requires stall strips, and pop up spoilers on the race cars. Stay away from lift unless you are actually flying something designed to land.

REW, very interesting input. It makes sense.

I meant to include that it turns out the bleeding from the mouth was due to him biting his tongue during the seizure, thankfully not from internal bleeding.

And the hospital bill was over 13k! He "only" had to pay about 1200 though.

REW, very interesting input. It makes sense.

I meant to include that it turns out the bleeding from the mouth was due to him biting his tongue during the seizure, thankfully not from internal bleeding.

And the hospital bill was over 13k! He "only" had to pay about 1200 though.

I'm glad your friend is ok. Anything that flies looks great to me but understanding the laws of physicis will keep us all alive a bit longer.