Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cap and Rotor

It is Tuesday which is typically ski night on the river, but with temps in the low 50's and rain, not going to make it tonight. So, what can I do to piddle with the boat...need to direct all this energy somewhere...

I read on another thread about how corroded the distributor cap and rotor get, and I have never checked mine--perfect project for this afternoon!! I searched for a part numbers but can't find them here, on the Indmar or Skidim sites. The boat is a 2000 SLXI with the 325 5.7 Monsoon engine. I am a bit leery about pulling off the cap and taking it to NAPA to match up, because I tried that a long time ago with my first vehicle, a '68 Chevy Van, and I am not sure I ever got the plug wires back in the right order. Lots of fond memories associated with that van, but that is not one of them <G>.

Anybody have a part number for the cap and rotor? Preferably a NAPA number? We should add this info to the Indmar parts reference list in the DIY forum.

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke with the folks at Bakes Marine in WA. They sell a Quicksilver GM DELCO Distributor and rotor. It is around $55.00 however they claim that the quality is better as it is made out of brass not steel like the stock one. They also say you do not have to replace it as often.

Does anyone have any experience with these? I am glad to spend the little extra if the quality is better.

Edited by Syion

I just changed my original cap and rotor on my 2004. it was getting a little corrosion on the terminals inside. I ordered one from Bakes and noticed it was Made in Canada and had brass or copper clad terminals, my original one made in the good 'ol USA had cheap aluminum contacts. Just an observation.

some good steel up in Canada eh lol

SkiDim had exactly what I needed btw. new cap and rotor made a big difference in my boats performance, starts and idle esspecially.

Edited by H20ski Dude
some good steel up in Canada eh lol

SkiDim had exactly what I needed btw. new cap and rotor made a big difference in my boats performance, starts and idle esspecially.

It is Tuesday which is typically ski night on the river, but with temps in the low 50's and rain, not going to make it tonight. So, what can I do to piddle with the boat...need to direct all this energy somewhere...

I read on another thread about how corroded the distributor cap and rotor get, and I have never checked mine--perfect project for this afternoon!! I searched for a part numbers but can't find them here, on the Indmar or Skidim sites. The boat is a 2000 SLXI with the 325 5.7 Monsoon engine. I am a bit leery about pulling off the cap and taking it to NAPA to match up, because I tried that a long time ago with my first vehicle, a '68 Chevy Van, and I am not sure I ever got the plug wires back in the right order. Lots of fond memories associated with that van, but that is not one of them <G>.

Anybody have a part number for the cap and rotor? Preferably a NAPA number? We should add this info to the Indmar parts reference list in the DIY forum.

That style of cap in rotor came on just about all the GM vortec engines. Any auto parts store will have the cap and rotor and unless you get lucky with them being out of stock they will also have a premium version with the brass terminals.

For an application use any early 90's chevy truck and you will get that cap.

I just brought my new, used for me (Malibu Sportster 2000) home tonight, the motor is a 5.7 Indmar with a Holley carburator on it. Here comes the dumb questions, is this a GM or Ford? Can I use car parts on it? I need a new cap and rotor and don't want to wait to run it, it hasn't been run for 2 years and needs a new cap. Can I go to an auto parts store?