Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

failure of new raw water pump

I spent about $80 on a new pump, assembled and installed it. I know it was properly assembled because I've done it more than once before, but after hooking up the hose, turning on the water and starting the engine it became obvious that water was not moving through the engine. Upon removal of the pump, I could see that the impeller was trashed and new housing was cracked. Out of curiosity I start the engine with garden hose shooting water in to hose that connects to engine pump, but water is not accepted. Does anyone know if either a stuck shut thermostat or bad circulating pump would cause a new raw water pump to blow up?

I spent about $80 on a new pump, assembled and installed it. I know it was properly assembled because I've done it more than once before, but after hooking up the hose, turning on the water and starting the engine it became obvious that water was not moving through the engine. Upon removal of the pump, I could see that the impeller was trashed and new housing was cracked. Out of curiosity I start the engine with garden hose shooting water in to hose that connects to engine pump, but water is not accepted. Does anyone know if either a stuck shut thermostat or bad circulating pump would cause a new raw water pump to blow up?

There are a lot of variables here and it is difficult to diagnose without actually seeing the problem................but if I had to guess, I would say it was an installation issue

what was the issue that required a new water pump? Was the new impeller installed with the vanes flexed in the proper direction? Did you put garden hose into end of hose that connects to raw water pump or end of engine water pump hose that connects to trans oil cooler? Disconnect both hoses from trans oil cooler i & check for blockage.

Ditto on checking for blockage at the tranny cooler. However, the vane direction doesn't matter upon install--turn the key and the shaft will spin the impeller vanes.

How did you have the garden hose in use, following installation of pump, when you wanted to check things?

If it has a Jabsco pump mounted on the side of the engine, the input and output hoses are not that difficult to get reversed. That would trash the impeller pretty quickly.

Plus1.gif No offense but that's my bet also.

I got my hoses mixed up once. Idled fine with a normal temp at the ramp. After I idled about 200 ft out, I accelerated and about 30 seconds later the temp skyrocketed. I shut it down and let it cool for a while. Then I restarted and idled back to the ramp. I had to replace the impeller and part of the housing because of scarring.

I've also ruined a housing and impeller by tightening the bolts too much.

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate the input from you guys, though I haven't had the chance to get back here and say thanks. I bought another pump and installed it just as I had the first time and it works great. I tried reversing the hoses out of curiosity but one of them was too short that way. I suspect the first pump I bought wasn't any good because there's a crack in the housing which I hadn't noticed beforehand. I'm excited as usual about the beginning of a new season!