Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wedge

Does anyone know what size wedge a 2000 23' LSV takes? I'm trying to buy one but I don't want to buy the wrong size plate and rip a hole in my hull or something stupid like that. Does anyone have the length and width of the wedge plate itself or could someone measure their's for me?

I can't tell you a size, but I recall that there are only two types of wedge. There is the V shaped one, that is, if you tried to stand it up on the floor, it would tip from left to right. It is bent in the middle as if someone really big tried to use it as a step and bent it down in the middle(You know the saying, "a picture is worth a thousand words".) That is the wrong one. the correct one is flat, and would stand on the floor (except the weight of the arms would make it fall forward.) There is a plate that goes on the inside of the hull that the bolts go through for strength. As far as mounting, the best way would be to look at another "same" hull, to get the height, but on your '00 LSV, the bracket goes up pretty close to the bottom of the shelf on the transom. I'm sure others will chime in with some more exact specs, but these are the basics. And don't worry about mounting it exact to .0000001". We have seen the same hulls with 1" difference in factory mounted wedges. they are not that picky.

Actually they do come in different sizes, and the original Escape LSV takes a special version which has the foil mounted further back on the arms so that the rudder will not make contact.

I would be incredibly advantageous to find one of those used. It's probably easier/cheaper and certainly quicker to get it from the dealer.

Actually they do come in different sizes, and the original Escape LSV takes a special version which has the foil mounted further back on the arms so that the rudder will not make contact.

I would be incredibly advantageous to find one of those used. It's probably easier/cheaper and certainly quicker to get it from the dealer.

The wedge plate was moved slightly back yes, but the wedge plate and the foil are the same sizes.

I suppose if your buying new, you might consider the floating wedge. I upgraded mine to the floater a few years ago and

feel that the upgrade was worth it. Seems like the wake board wake was shaped better, and it did help the surf wake.

Plus - the polished stainless steel wedge with the polished turn down exhaust must make the "ooh-ahh" factor much higher for the people following the trailered boat down the highway. :)

I suppose if your buying new, you might consider the floating wedge. I upgraded mine to the floater a few years ago and

feel that the upgrade was worth it. Seems like the wake board wake was shaped better, and it did help the surf wake.

Plus - the polished stainless steel wedge with the polished turn down exhaust must make the "ooh-ahh" factor much higher for the people following the trailered boat down the highway. :)

I want to change mine to a floater, but have not had the time to look into it as I no longer have a local dealer, I think I have read on this site that you need a new mounting bracket and all the holes will match up. Can you confirm that is how it worked for you. If you don't mind can you PM me with price range changing to a floater is, and did you order parts and do it yourself or is this a dealer thing. I was going to wait and only change mine if it ever breaks / I hit something with it, but I may be interested in changing mine and selling the old one.

Thanks

I want to change mine to a floater, but have not had the time to look into it as I no longer have a local dealer, I think I have read on this site that you need a new mounting bracket and all the holes will match up. Can you confirm that is how it worked for you. If you don't mind can you PM me with price range changing to a floater is, and did you order parts and do it yourself or is this a dealer thing. I was going to wait and only change mine if it ever breaks / I hit something with it, but I may be interested in changing mine and selling the old one.

Thanks

In most cases the new bracket for the floater lines right up with the mounting holes for the old bracket. I think that I've seen at least one case where it didn't though, so if you can measure prior to ordering then you're best off. IIRC, the total cost is around $1200 for the parts. As Hman said, it's a good upgrade. We did the same after losing our wedge to the dreaded bolt failure problem, & it improved the wake both for boarding & surfing. One nice difference is that the foil is welded to the arms rather than bolted, so it should prevent that from happening again.

Up until 2006, the wedge had 2 positions: locked up, or locked down. The new floating wedge that was introduced in 2007 has one fixed position, that's when it's locked up. When you drop it, it doesn't lock in but rather "floats". The idea is that depending on speed & attitude of the boat, it will find its best position. They also say that it helps with handling, although I can't say that it's a huge improvement over the old one (you've still got a huge amount of downforce at play). I can't remember what the numbers are for the floater (1200 lbs of downforce rings a bell), but it's more than the number for the fixed wedge that was 1000 lbs.

It was a nice upgrade on our boat, improving the wake both for wakeboarding & surfing.

Thanks

In most cases the new bracket for the floater lines right up with the mounting holes for the old bracket. I think that I've seen at least one case where it didn't though, so if you can measure prior to ordering then you're best off. IIRC, the total cost is around $1200 for the parts. As Hman said, it's a good upgrade. We did the same after losing our wedge to the dreaded bolt failure problem, & it improved the wake both for boarding & surfing. One nice difference is that the foil is welded to the arms rather than bolted, so it should prevent that from happening again.

Thanks