Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakeboarding 360

88Skier

My son has been working on a 360 for the past 2 weeks. He gets around, sometimes way early, but no matter what, he loses the rope when he lands. What is he doing wrong?

Probably just missing the handle pass... 2 things I've found that help:

1) Before riding, take a ski handle with a jug of water on the end (or something else with mass) and practice spinning it around your body, passing it over and over to get the repetition and practice with making the pass behind your back.

2) When trying to go for the 360, make sure he is pulling in on the rope when he jumps -- this keeps the handle in close for the handle pass.

BTW, is he going for the TS 360 or HS 360?

JZ

Tell him to pass the handle under his butt, he does this by bending his knees a little when he spins, that was what I've always been told to do.

Daniel

The key to making the handle pass is keeping it close to your body. This may sound wierd but with your arms stretched out straigh (which is how they are when your being pulled) it is physically impossible to make a handle pass behind your back. Try this: with your arms straigh, try and reach behind you and touch your hands together, or at the very least get them within 15" (standard handle width) of each other - can't do it can you? Now with your arms straight reach down to your sides like you would be doing a handlepass under your butt (like Daniel says above) - by bending your wrists you should be able to almost touch hands. This is where you want to stick the handle to make the pass. Tell him to think about sticking the handle in his back pocket for the pass.

Another key is to pull in hard on the rope as you ride up the wake, this takes a lot of the pull/resistance off the line while in the air - you don't want the boat pulling the rope away from you while your trying to make the pass. In some photos in the mags you will actually see slack in the line when people are doing spinning tricks. This is very important to learn to do.

The #1 most important thing for the 360 IMO is to pull the handle in towards your rear hip as you are leaving the wake. If oyu do this prooperly you should have enough slack to do the handle pass. If you don't pull the handle in enough it is difficult if not impossible to make the pass.

Also, the suggestion of trying a milk jug to a handle and swinging it around can really help to practice.

Thanks for the help. I'll pass this along tonight.

He's left foot forward. He's doing it TS from his good side. He can jump the entire wake with some pretty good air behind the Sporty off the pylon.

All those tips are true, and each person gets one tip or does one particular thing that helps he/she land the trick, but for me it was reducing my cut to almost nothing - I cut out about 20 feet into the flats, really squat down, concentrate on letting the boat pull me back into the wake, and really concentrate on standing tall at the wake, and as Aneal said, keep the rope in tight, I try to keep both of my elbows on my rib cage throughout the trick - combining all that, he should have reduced the rope tension enough to easily make the pass - Good luck!

I was trying this over the last week. Couldn't decide which one to try first.

Should I be going at it TS Frontside. Or should I be hitting it HS Frontside?

Waketrix makes it sound like the TS Frontside approach is best, more 'natural'. But actually applying it in the water I had a hard time. Definately easier to pull a 180 w2w that way.

I was trying this over the last week.  Couldn't decide which one to try first. 

Should I be going at it TS Frontside.  Or should I be hitting it HS Frontside? 

Waketrix makes it sound like the TS Frontside approach is best, more 'natural'.  But actually applying it in the water I had a hard time.  Definately easier to pull a 180 w2w that way.

Think about the landing and you'll realize the HS is easier. The TS is easier to get the rotation going, but the HS gives you more room for error on your landing because your landing open or facing the boat. Where with a TS 3 your landing with your back toward the boat. Does that make sense?

Easier to get the spin started TS. But the landing is what I was having a problem with. So I think I'll follow your advice, Tony, and work on the HS first.

I was trying this over the last week.  Couldn't decide which one to try first. 

Should I be going at it TS Frontside.  Or should I be hitting it HS Frontside? 

Waketrix makes it sound like the TS Frontside approach is best, more 'natural'.  But actually applying it in the water I had a hard time.  Definately easier to pull a 180 w2w that way.

Think about the landing and you'll realize the HS is easier. The TS is easier to get the rotation going, but the HS gives you more room for error on your landing because your landing open or facing the boat. Where with a TS 3 your landing with your back toward the boat. Does that make sense?

Are you saying the HS Frontside is Easier or the HS Backside. When I am snowboarding I am used to the TS Backside 360 I am having a hardtime with it behind the boat myself.

Are you saying the HS Frontside is Easier or the HS Backside.  When I am snowboarding I am used to the TS Backside 360 I am having a hardtime with it behind the boat myself.

Frontside spins behind a boat are typically eaiser to learn. The HS FS 3 is ofen the first one learned. HS is easier than TS to learn because of the landings and FS spins are easier than BS spins for a few reasons, but first and foremost people are typically already used to doing FS 180s. So they have part of the trick under their belt already, then they add the handlepass and the additional 180 and they have the 3. You don't typically see people doing BS 180s that ofen because they require a handlepass for a 180. So they are a very stylish trick that you don't see much. But if you can do a BS 180 with handlepass then the BS 3 is a very easy progression. That make sense?