Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

FAE stealing from Malibu?

txwakejunkie

Im not sure about what their intentions are but check this out.

http://www.centurioncrew.com/switchblade-t215.html post number 16

It looks like they are trying to dance around the patented malibu wedge and creat something like it so that you can use their exhaust.

dont get me wrong I wouldnt mind having the exhaust on my boat but im not to sure what they are thinking with this.

There have been aftermarket wing manufacturers making wings for the SkySki/AirChair market for years. The rationale being that they were not making the entire ski, so there was no patent violation.

Obviously Malibu has a lot more money than SkySki or AirChair to spend on patent lawyers & lawsuits. Probably have more to lose too. But that probably depends on what the possible damage is to their sales..... which doesn't look like a lot if you ask me.

I don't think they could copy the wedge if they had to make it go around the exhaust because it wouldn't be the same design although if they could get it into the same position then they may be infringing on the original concept design that Malibu built. Sticky subject and we'll see how it plays out Whistling.gif

even if they are using the factory wedge and adding their own pc to make it a removeable deal, wouldnt that be an issue with malibu as far as a hull warranty if something were to happen? Dontknow.gif

Looks like a modified Malibu wedge to me, not another design. Why would Malibu have any say in that? The liability will be on FAE after the mod and out of Malibu's hands. Can you imagine taking a bent wedge to your dealer with that mod and getting any sympathy from Malibu?

What are they doing on current wedges with the welded foil?

Looks like a modified Malibu wedge to me, not another design. Why would Malibu have any say in that? The liability will be on FAE after the mod and out of Malibu's hands. Can you imagine taking a bent wedge to your dealer with that mod and getting any sympathy from Malibu?

What are they doing on current wedges with the welded foil?

yes, I think they are using the arms and mounting plates, but it says they are making a new wing, and the wing that is in the pic is not a malibu wedge. That is were my question is, if they are selling wings to replace the wedge then would that be a patent issue?

Vaguely, I remember this coming up on this site. As I recall what you're seeing in that picture is a modified Wedge on a Malibu, with the actual wedge foil that is on a quick connect/disconnect. The new mounting plate is on the bracket, with the foil shown up above. The part that's new is the comment that they're going to make that available for all boats, unless they're just referring to all wedge-equipped boats (that part is unclear to me). The purpose of the whole thing was to make it possible to mount a FAE on a Malibu with a wedge, but I've never understood how that system accomplishes that since you still have a foil deployed (albeit smaller). I also recall vaguely that they had come up with a system for the power wedge, but nothing for the floater since its position couldn't be controlled.

I'll search around & see if I can find the original discussion(s).

In my opinion, FAE should stay away from trying to get that exhaust on a Malibu with a wedge. How much more efficient or sound quality do you get from it and plus you killing more fish and sea life with it :)

CAT's and turn downs....problem solved without a crazy contraption on the back of the boat.

-Chris

yea, the tips are on my to do list. Thumbup.gif along with a new floating wedge upgrade.

The FAE is a good idea on boats that don't have cats. Up until recently it wasn't compatible with the wedge. This is just the modification so that you can run the FAE and still be able to remove the wedge.

I have heard nothing but good about Larry Mann, the FAE guy. I am sure he has no intention to take anything from Malibu.

Read a little more about the FAE or ask someone thats used it before you knock it. I don't have one yet, but its on the list.

I am 99% sure that picture is actually of one of our central TX crewmember's boats, who may chime in here at some point.

The FAE is a good idea on boats that don't have cats. Up until recently it wasn't compatible with the wedge. This is just the modification so that you can run the FAE and still be able to remove the wedge.

I have heard nothing but good about Larry Mann, the FAE guy. I am sure he has no intention to take anything from Malibu.

Read a little more about the FAE or ask someone thats used it before you knock it. I don't have one yet, but its on the list.

I am 99% sure that picture is actually of one of our central TX crewmember's boats, who may chime in here at some point.

I am aware of whos boat this is on, and i am not knocking the guys product. I did say that i would have one if it worked with my boat. My reason for posting was for the comment that wake girl had pointed out. That they are going to start making this style of wing for all boats.

I am aware of whos boat this is on, and i am not knocking the guys product. I did say that i would have one if it worked with my boat. My reason for posting was for the comment that wake girl had pointed out. That they are going to start making this style of wing for all boats.

I didn't mean to imply that "you" were knocking it, but rather just point out that it is not a fish killer.

IMO malibu holds ALL the marbles with this product by FAE and FAE better address that issue with Malibu quickly! If malibu doesnt like it all they have to do is formally announce that this "modification" voids all hull and drivetrain warranties, putting FAE in a tough spot to sell product and the consumer in an ethical dilemma.