Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

looking to put 20" rims on my trailer

mellen_mpz

I have an extreme trailer and I'm looking to put 20" wheels on it. Does anyone know where to get them or what lug size they are? I also heard that it might be difficult to get the correct offset with the current fenders and that I might have to put wider fenders on it? Is that true? Thanks

I have an extreme trailer and I'm looking to put 20" wheels on it. Does anyone know where to get them or what lug size they are? I also heard that it might be difficult to get the correct offset with the current fenders and that I might have to put wider fenders on it? Is that true? Thanks

I would contact Extreme for the offset/ lug pattern, i would have your trailer VIN number handy so they can see what your trailer was built with. We've done a few trailers with 20's but they were all done while the trailer was being built.

You will need wider fenders (I can't remember if you move up to 10" or 12" fenders) I can order painted or Stainless fenders since we are a dealer so if you have a hard time finding parts, let me know and i can help you out.

Here is their contact info:

Extreme Custom Trailers ®

A Subsidiary of Lippert Components Inc.

168 South Spruce Ave

Rialto, CA 92376

Tel: 951.682.5522

Fax: 951.848.9041

Good luck with the project!

-Paul

Don't forget wheel locks on all lugs including the spare. Whistling.gif

Edited by LS-One

I'm going to play the devil's advocate here. 20's look nice, but ......

I am more concerned about load capacity and possible flats, blowouts, etc. than appearance on the trailer. My boat sits in a garage except for 21 days a year and my travel trailer sits in an rv shed except for 15 days a year. I have considered putting aftermarket wheels on both of these but decided against it because I want trouble free operation when I am playing with these toys. The other 344 days per year they sit inside.

I went the other way and installed larger tires with a higher load rating Load Range C on my boat trailer. My travel trailer already had Load range C tires and the tire capacity is 7200# and exceeded the trailer weight axles by 2400 pounds.

In my defense I'm not a fuddy duddy on cars. I run highline Michelin tires on the Duramax, Mercedes and Porsche. The Duramax has Welded polished aluminum oversize so that my tire capacity is 13660# for a 9200 GVW truck. I have had the truck to near that capacity on an extended travel trailer trip we took that included the kitchen sink.

If I was making a switch I would make sure I was not reducing load capacity and would try to get load range E tires if possible. I would rather have high load capacity 16's or 17' than a mediocre load 20's.

Just my concern...... YMMV

Differrnt brand trailer but I've got 215/45 x 17's on my tandem. Looks great and even though they are standard car type tyres I not worried about load rating etc. The only concern the 17's give me is if theres a ramp that has fairly chunky gravel in it's approach area. I get a little worried about doing tight turns that the rims may touch the chunky gravel. Not a big problem though. Hogher profile tyres would fix it but the 45 profile looks good

FWIW, I would not put anything on my trailer that was not rated solely as a trailering tire. When turning and backing up, the twisting and load that is put on the sidewall can be tremendous. A tire rated for a trailer is different than a car or truck tire. The trailer tire is built to withstand the twisting. My 0.02 cents

all good info. I'm surprised nobody make a trailer tire for a 20" wheel yet. My buddy has a Tige that comes stock with 20" wheels on the trailer. The boat is 3 years old and has never had an issue with the trailer tires.

Everyone seems to get all worried about trailer loads on tyres. Surely performance car loads are far greater.

Performance car loads on tires may be greater. However that load would be completely different from that of a trailer. There would be no twisting in a performance car tire like there is in a trailer tire. Try backing your trailer into a really tight spot and stop half way. Get out of the vehicle and take a look at the tires on the trailer and they will be all twisted up. There have been times I have had to drag the front two tires sideways to get the trailer into a certain spot. Also when you pull your trailer down the road at high speeds, heat tends to build up. A trailer tire will deal with that heat differently than a passenger car tire.

RV Tires: The tire manufacture companys make specific "trailer use only" tires in 13", 14" and 15" wheel size. Beyond that the fifth wheel and trailer guys go to a standard highway 245/75 r 16 load range E most of the time. This gets them to 3042# load per tire and by going to an E 265/75 r 16 the rating goes to 3415# per tire. In both cases these ratings are at 80 psi.

Heat is a tire killer. It is very important to keep your trailer tires at max psi which is generally 50 psi in a C rated 15" trailer tire. The distortion of these 75% aspect trailer tires on sharp turns is not really an issue with the tires because of low speed. But underinflation will cause failure due to heat issues.

The racers in the crowd know that tire pressure makes a big difference in grip on the track. The trick is to have a uniform temperature across the entire width of the tread. That is why they are constantly measuring the tire and track temp and the proliferation of air tanks at any autocross or track event.

High perf tires: My 305/30 ZR 19" tires are rated for 50# psi and a load of 1874# capacity. The high pressure capacity is more of a function to have a high mph speed rating once again due to heat issues. The point is that high tire pressure reduce the tire temperature. So a load rated E is better than a D is better than a C because you can run a higher tire pressure.

I have 20s on my trailer, never had a problem. I have ZR rated tires. I would worry about the problem with load rate. Each wheel and tire is rated with a load rate. If you do not exceed this rate, then there should not be any issue. Passenger car tires are designed to maximize traction, and ride quality. Trailer tires do not need traction but for braking and ride quality is not an issue. Trailer tires are also narrower due to the lack of needed traction during cornering. They pull better and track better due to the narrow foot print.

Trailer tires have a stiffer sidewall to lessen tire roll in corners. If you are using a low

profile tire then this should not be an issue. You may see a decrese in fuel economy with lager tires due to the surface contact to the road with a wider foot print. The biggest cause of tire failure on trailers is dry rot and heat. If your tires are showing any signs of cracking in the tread area or sidewall area, then it is time for replacement. Dry rot will usualy cause a tire tread to seperate. Just because your tire is new does not mean it has not been sitting for many year waiting to be sold. Tires have a shelf life before they deteriate. Check out this video by ABC news. http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897 Proper inflation is key, for wear, heat buildup and fuel economy.

Why big rims on a trailer?

I might be in the minority, but they just seem pointless. The other day I saw a guy driving around an Escalade with spinners and I just laughed. Big wheels, in my opinion, are like H2's. They were cool when they first came out/started getting popular, but now are just lame.

Why not 17" or 18" wheels? They will still look nice without looking ghetto and flashy.

I might be in the minority, but they just seem pointless. The other day I saw a guy driving around an Escalade with spinners and I just laughed. Big wheels, in my opinion, are like H2's. They were cool when they first came out/started getting popular, but now are just lame.

Why not 17" or 18" wheels? They will still look nice without looking ghetto and flashy.

I guess its just one of those things that if you gotta ask....you just dont understand. We are all guilty of wanting to look good in one way or another. I think big rims look nice. I agree about the spinners though.

Its just like anything else.....if its not your thing, dont do it!

"You do your thing...I'll do mine"

Edited by mellen_mpz
To each thier own.. However, it'll raise the trailer up and if the garage height is tight now, this make too high up to fit.

yeah that sucks...but I already miss by 6". I envy you guys with the removeable cross-bar

I guess its just one of those things that if you gotta ask....you just dont understand. We are all guilty of wanting to look good in one way or another. I think big rims look nice. I agree about the spinners though.

Its just like anything else.....if its not your thing, dont do it!

"You do your thing...I'll do mine"

That came across a little d**k sounding and I apologize about that :) I sometimes just write what I am thinking without thinking about how it sounds. I agree completely, to each their own!

To each thier own.. However, it'll raise the trailer up and if the garage height is tight now, this make too high up to fit.

If rim size and tyre width is increased and profile ratio decreased overall diameter stays the same.

If rim size and tyre width is increased and profile ratio decreased overall diameter stays the same.

I agree in principle that is correct. However I was at my dealer and after looking at a new Extreme trailer with 20" rims and 55 or 50 series tires was still at least 2" higher than the rest.

I'm really surprised that the factory is putting 20" tires on the trailers, I am not aware of any 20" tire that is rated for a trailer. The walls have to be a certain ply rating and my insurance company made sure when I added the boat and trailer that the tires were to compliance or it would void claims on any accidents or mishaps. Just something to consider Whistling.gif

I'm really surprised that the factory is putting 20" tires on the trailers, I am not aware of any 20" tire that is rated for a trailer. The walls have to be a certain ply rating and my insurance company made sure when I added the boat and trailer that the tires were to compliance or it would void claims on any accidents or mishaps. Just something to consider Whistling.gif

Trailers aren't something ordered by the manufacture, that's up to each dealer.

Trailers aren't something ordered by the manufacture, that's up to each dealer.

I should have used the proper term, "The seller" should know that 20" tires are not rated for towing, yes they look cool, if you like that type of bling and style, but they don't have the side wall ply required for flexing with that weight "especially" on a tandem axle trailer. Single axle trailer you may be able to get away with it but still doesn't make it right. I'd have to look up the Federal Regulations again but I went through this a long time ago and my insurance company was able to back out of a claim because I didn't have trailer tires, I got a flat that did damage to the trailer and the boat it was about $2200 worth of damage. It was total BS and that is why I don't use Farmers Insurance anymore and run strictly approved rated trailer tires.