Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu keeps "Official World Record Towboat" title

HOskier313

www.iwsf.com

Summary of some of the TC decisions:

Bob Corson USA was re-elected as Chairman of the Tournament Council

20cm slalom buoy diameter accepted

Size of the finals will be based on percentage of entrants for World Title tournament except the World Championships which will remain at 12

The Ranking List will take the two best performances from two different sites

Slalom tolerances will be tightened

New trick accepted the Forward Front Flip with a back (FFLIPB) at 850 points

Move toward tricks being judged by boat video

Establish on a trial basis a Who Beat Who ranking list

Records not approved

Krueger 72.1 at McCormicks in October 04 (excessive boat speed detected)

Llewellyn 73.1 at McCormicks in October 04 (excessive boat speed detected)

Parrish [email protected] (Path deviation > 20 cm)

Slalom centerline defined as line through end gates

x8u allowed to be adjustable for World Championships

Overall Scoring method changed to give more importance to slalom

Very very unfortunate for Chris Parrish, but at least he retains his 1.25 at 43 off (pulled behind a Malibu).

Hate to hear that. CP has been so awesome this year I'd love to see him get 2 again real soon.

Had a chance to get his autograph at the Open and it still never seizes to amaze me at how approachable and genuinely nice all the pros are.

Great question Edwin! I've love to know the answer to that one. I'm going to take a guess that MC wasn't going to send him a check until it was approved anyway.

Mike

Edited by mlange

My understanding of the MC record...MC would pay him if the record was approved, and or I believe, the record has to stand for the season.

Reggie

if i could run 2 @ 43 off mc could keep its check.

well, maybe.

ROFL.gif

Next question: Is the challenge of breaking the record now limited as much (or more) by the inability of a driver to hold course at 43' off as it is by a skier's ability to manage that short of a rope? How long before someone develops a Perfect Pass of sorts for steering? (Think smart highways like they have experimented with in CA.)

if i could run 2 @ 43 off mc could keep its check.

well, maybe.

ROFL.gif

Next question: Is the challenge of breaking the record now limited as much (or more) by the inability of a driver to hold course at 43' off as it is by a skier's ability to manage that short of a rope? How long before someone develops a Perfect Pass of sorts for steering? (Think smart highways like they have experimented with in CA.)

waterski rag had an article several years back about waterskiing in the olympics. they talked about a mechanical system pulling the skiing on a track (similar to a trolley) so that all skiers would get the exact same consistent pull/wakes each time.

man, what a  Cry.gif  shame...imagine how the driver feels.

I wondered about this too. Back in one of the threads were the Dr. Mini thing was first being discussed, the topic of cheating got taken in a lot of directions. One of them was the informal 'driver is good buddies with the skier and wants to help him out' or 'skier is a PIA and the driver might choose not to "help" them'. Any chance there was some of this going on, and the driver took it just a bit too far?

BTW out of curiosity - what mechanism do they use to determine the actual path of the boat? Surely it's not a visual thing looking at a camera? And GPS wouldn't be accurate enough. So how do they determine that the path exceeded the 20cm?

Edited by SunriseH2OSkier

I will give this a shot, but someone may be able to explain a little better than I.

From what I understand, there are sensors at each end of the lake that are aligned dead center or the slalom course. On the boat, there is also a sensor and this relays information to a computer. The computer has had a special slalom program written for it that can translate the center line of the boat (where the sensor is mounted), and its relationship to the centerline of the course. When a record is broken, this software is called up and is able to display graphs and charts of boat paths.

In addition, there is video cameras at each end of the lake as well.

I'm half way guessing about the software program, the reason I inferred this is because I know for a fact I saw the graphs of when JM supposedly broke the M4 record last summer. I believe either Schnitz or Tony Lightfoot had them on their site. So there is definitley some sort of computer program used.

On the side note - when JM did "break" the M4 record last summer...his boat path was acceptable....at least we can't blame him for that...yet...

Edited by HOskier313
  • 2 months later...
I will give this a shot, but someone may be able to explain a little better than I.

From what I understand, there are sensors at each end of the lake that are aligned dead center or the slalom course.  On the boat, there is also a sensor and this relays information to a computer.  The computer has had a special slalom program written for it that can translate the center line of the boat (where the sensor is mounted), and its relationship to the centerline of the course.  When a record is broken, this software is called up and is able to display graphs and charts of boat paths. 

In addition, there is video cameras at each end of the lake as well.

I'm half way guessing about the software program, the reason I inferred this is because I know for a fact I saw the graphs of when JM supposedly broke the M4 record last summer.  I believe either Schnitz or Tony Lightfoot had them on their site.  So there is definitley some sort of computer program used.

On the side note - when JM did "break" the M4 record last summer...his boat path was acceptable....at least we can't blame him for that...yet...

As mentioned in a previous thread ... Chris did set a new WR (1.5 @ 43 off on 08/25/05), after getting it in the RLxi earlier in the year, and after getting one disallowed in a 197, he finally did get the 25K on a different weekend. I'll look for the article but there is one that he admits he could have gotten more than 1.5 but wanted to break it a few more times (kind of like the old russian pole vaulter Sergei or Sergey ???) Hope he stays healthy enough to keep breaking the record to generate interest in watersports.

http://207.170.215.108/eMarketing/Campaign...Id=1&ConId=6891

http://www.usawaterski.org/pages/divisions...onalRecords.pdf

Okay - here is the aforementioned article http://www.waterskimag.com/article.jsp?ID=...&categoryID=116 "How did it feel to run 1 ½ at 43 off?

It was huge. I was kind of glad that 2 was denied in a way because 2 is going to hold for a long time. So hopefully next year MasterCraft or somebody else is going to put up another $25,000 so I'll be able to go out there and get another half again."

Edited by PendOreilleSkier

I don't ski a course but for those who do .. what are the chances of someone ever getting a full pass at 43 off? Is it up to the skier from here on out, or will boat advances help?

I don't ski a course but for those who do .. what are the chances of someone ever getting a full pass at 43 off?  Is it up to the skier from here on out, or will boat advances help?

I think the skiers can run that pass. Unfortunately, only the really tall ones are going to be able to do it. At 43 off there is a 5 foot gap between the handle and the bouy, I'm 6'4" and I got about 8' of reach from my feet to the tip of my fingers. I'm not claiming to be able to get to 43 off just to clarify. Take Terry Winter and everything is going to have to be perfect, whereas CP will have another foot of space.

The other advent for setting world records is boat and driver. Interesting to me that no-one is talking about CC because they aren't even in the running. Here they are supposed to be "the best slalom boat out there" and nobody came close to breaking a record with that boat. The boat and driver combination requirements are huge! Most drivers can't even tell +/-6 off center line which puts someone at 39.5' to 40'. 6' becomes a much greater percentage as the rope gets to super short lines.

Question I've always had is whether or not skiers are besting WRs in practice (honestly - no Jim Michaels types)? I'm imagining that if they are able to do it in the record tourneys, then maybe they have done it better occasionally in practice. And if so, how close are they coming to running a full pass?

Six - is it that CC just doesn't have their boats as sponsors of the big events so they don't have the opportunities like Bu' or MC; do they not have drivers that are capable? Also, when YOU ski behind a CC can you tell the prop rotation is opposite? Lastsly how possible is it that a WR would be set behind a boat other than a Bu', CC, M/C ... do the other manf. have the handling and responsiveness to allow a driver to make a perfect pass? (I notice several do not even get their boats approved as it must not be worth it to them).

On a different note 25K seems a little weak ... I hope when CP breaks the record with an 06 RLxi :blush: that the manf. will show him some love since he is their skier ... I wonder if the manf. buy insurance against a WR (like in those golf tourney - hole in one contests) or if they actually do ante up the 25K.

I don't ski a course but for those who do .. what are the chances of someone ever getting a full pass at 43 off?  Is it up to the skier from here on out, or will boat advances help?

I think the skiers can run that pass. Unfortunately, only the really tall ones are going to be able to do it. At 43 off there is a 5 foot gap between the handle and the bouy, I'm 6'4" and I got about 8' of reach from my feet to the tip of my fingers. I'm not claiming to be able to get to 43 off just to clarify. Take Terry Winter and everything is going to have to be perfect, whereas CP will have another foot of space.

The other advent for setting world records is boat and driver. Interesting to me that no-one is talking about CC because they aren't even in the running. Here they are supposed to be "the best slalom boat out there" and nobody came close to breaking a record with that boat. The boat and driver combination requirements are huge! Most drivers can't even tell +/-6 off center line which puts someone at 39.5' to 40'. 6' becomes a much greater percentage as the rope gets to super short lines.