Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ballast tank not filling up?

Noticed this weekend that my center tank wasnt filling up. We took the boat out for a test drive a week ago and it worked perfect, then (after we took possesion of the boat) it didnt work the next trip out. I popped the cover off and put my hand on the pump and it was working (or should I say vibrating but no water was going through it). I'm VERY new to the whole ballast tank thing (bought the boat a week ago). where should I look first????

thanks....jeff

Take the pump apart, there may be a weed or something in there which is blocking the flow. I had this happen on a pump last year.

strange. I took the pump apart and it looks brand new. Even hit the switch and it runs fine. Nothing blocking the intake...I can see right through it to the ground. wtf??

How do you know the pump isn't working? The next step would be to remove the hose at the top of the tank with the boat in the water and turn the pump on to see if you get water through the hose.

How do you know the pump isn't working? The next step would be to remove the hose at the top of the tank with the boat in the water and turn the pump on to see if you get water through the hose.

good idea. I will try that this weekend. The pump spins when I run it but I guess that doesnt necessarily mean its pumping water

Are you sure you have the correct pump? I thought the pumps both filled and drained. found out their is a fill pump and a drain pump. For the center they are both by each other.

Second thing, is the pump going the correct way, ie is it pulling in water to fill rather than trying to shoot water out?

Also, in my experience, when the pump is bad it blows the pannel fuse under the radio/armrest area. I have had two bad pumps since feb on my 06. I think the previous owner would leave them on running dry.

Edited by AzSyndicate
Are you sure you have the correct pump? I thought the pumps both filled and drained. found out their is a fill pump and a drain pump. For the center they are both by each other.

Second thing, is the pump going the correct way, ie is it pulling in water to fill rather than trying to shoot water out?

Also, in my experience, when the pump is bad it blows the pannel fuse under the radio/armrest area. I have had two bad pumps since feb on my 06. I think the previous owner would leave them on running dry.

The fill and drain pumps are 2 different pumps but are the exact same type of pump.