Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Slalom Instructional Videos??

Hydrogasm

I have been skiing for about 20 years and I started to ski the course last summer, so I am looking to but an instructional videos that will help me improve my skills. I am currently able to run 15off at 28mph consistently. I have found 2 so far, "West Coast Slalom" and "Short Line". Has anyone used either or both of these videos? How do they compare? Which one would you recommend? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

Since my back can't take the West Coast style, I'm not so wild about that one. Shortline with Drew Ross is good, but 12 Slalom Drills with Gordon Rathbun might be better for a course beginner. You also may want to ask around at your dealership to see if they have a contact for a good local skier who would be a good coach for a course beginner. Identifying and breaking bad habits early is important. Good luck.

Since my back can't take the West Coast style, I'm not so wild about that one. Shortline with Drew Ross is good, but 12 Slalom Drills with Gordon Rathbun might be better for a course beginner. You also may want to ask around at your dealership to see if they have a contact for a good local skier who would be a good coach for a course beginner. Identifying and breaking bad habits early is important. Good luck.

Plus1.gif Probably the absolute best instructional video for beginner and even more advanced skiers. If you work seriously on the drills you WILL become a better skier, guaranteed. Highly recommended.

Ditto getting some coaching from a higher end skier (or even better a pro coach) to identify and fix bad habits. Billb is right on the money!

Ed

Plus1.gif Gordon Rathburns Video!!!! Probably the best out there without getting too technical. Edited by bu2007vlx

A good friend that I ski with skiis in tournaments and he is into 35off at 34mph. He has helped some but I thought I might be able to get more tips by watching a video, being able to freeze frame, to get body position etc. I am going to use my video camera to see if I can get my dos and don't worked out. I have seen Gordon Rathburn's. Who has the best deals on these videos? I like to be able to buy them from one source, to save on shipping. Anyone got ones they no longer need that they want to sell? Let me know.

Thanks

Gary

A good friend that I ski with skiis in tournaments and he is into 35off at 34mph. He has helped some but I thought I might be able to get more tips by watching a video, being able to freeze frame, to get body position etc. I am going to use my video camera to see if I can get my dos and don't worked out. I have seen Gordon Rathburn's. Who has the best deals on these videos? I like to be able to buy them from one source, to save on shipping. Anyone got ones they no longer need that they want to sell? Let me know.

Thanks

Gary

Videoing yourself skiing is the best way to know what you really are and aren't doing. Reality and perception are often two entirely different things. I thought I was a pretty good skier until the first time I saw a video of myself skiing... Yuk.gif

Ed

Absolutely agree with Ed on the self video! While the instructionals will show you what to do, the self film will show you what your'e really doing. Use your camera often, watch in slo-mo or freeze frame and you'll be amazed with the results.

...Had some killer sets this past weekend....whoo hoo!

Justin - How's your "course work" coming? Seems like forever since that last rent-a-lake... :(

:unsure: You remember that last RAL...the one with The Wrong Thong™. Yuk.gif:lol:

Justin - How's your "course work" coming? Seems like forever since that last rent-a-lake... :(

:unsure: You remember that last RAL...the one with The Wrong Thong™. Yuk.gif:lol:

Oh...You would have to bring that up. :Doh: It never goes away that event is still etched into my memory and I was on the other lake when it happened. Shocking.gif

Course work is coming along nicely. My Sensei has been very affective.

Oh...You would have to bring that up. :Doh: It never goes away that event is still etched into my memory and I was on the other lake when it happened. Shocking.gif

Sad thing is he'd repeat it w/ minimual encouragement, afterall he has no shame....lol

I'm volunteering Malibudude to handle that from now on. Biggrin.gif

Clap.gifClap.gif Alright. Good show M-dude. Thumbup.gif When will you be scheduling the next one?

Biggrin.gif

Justin - How's your "course work" coming?
Course work is coming along nicely. My Sensei has been very effective.

:unsure: Translated means...XX mph at YY off. Please solve for XX & YY. :)

Thread got a little off track. Anyone else got an opinion on slalom instructional videos??

Thanks

Gary

That's because Michael got involved. He's King Derailleur. Then again, any time Justin mentions his skiing prowless, it's a train wreck waiting to happen.

Some interesting stuff in the Advanced Slalom Clinic with Mike Suyderhoud and Bob LaPoint. It's a bit dated, but definitely has some tidbits worth watching. Depending on your level of sophistication in the course, it can be more easily understood than Shortline.

Well...maybe a little off track. Whistling.gif

Now Mdudes slalom skills have improved so much that the prison stance doesn't apply any more. Clap.gif

The West Coast slalom video is a great tool it breaks the course down into different parts that can be applied in each area that needs work.

There is no substitute for videoing yourself then applying the changes that you need.