Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Small leak or failed seal around the drive shaft

I have a 2001 Malibu wakesetter, I generally take the boat in for pre-season maintentce / fluid change. As for many of us $$$ are much tighter these days and I will probably take on the task this year. I am ok with the fluid changes and general maintenece, but at the end of last year i noticed a slow to moderate drip coming from the driveshaft underneath the large brass nut that holds the housing in place.

My guess is that there is some sort of O-ring or seal in the housing or in the nut.

1- does this sound common, or has anyone tackled this before.

2- is there an assembaly guide on how these parts fit together?

3- should i bite the bullet and have my dealer take care of it?

thx

steve

Normal to have 1 drip every 10 seconds or so. Now they have dripless packing, yours may need adjusting...not a big deal, but it is normal. Shouldn't be a steady drip/stream tho.

I have a 2001 Malibu wakesetter, I generally take the boat in for pre-season maintentce / fluid change. As for many of us $$$ are much tighter these days and I will probably take on the task this year. I am ok with the fluid changes and general maintenece, but at the end of last year i noticed a slow to moderate drip coming from the driveshaft underneath the large brass nut that holds the housing in place.

My guess is that there is some sort of O-ring or seal in the housing or in the nut.

1- does this sound common, or has anyone tackled this before.

2- is there an assembaly guide on how these parts fit together?

3- should i bite the bullet and have my dealer take care of it?

thx

steve

Yup...too much. But it just needs tightening. Basically it is a brass nut threaded on another brass nut, I think. Had the dealer adjust mine...he just did it by "feel" out of the water and never an issue.

If your dealer is close, or an Indmar dealer of any kind...for that matter...it might be worth a call to see if they can do it. I think there may be a special wrench but I know others on this site have done it themselves without issue.

Can be a DIY project without too much issue, with the right stuff.

Surprised someone else hasn't chimed on the thread yet. Dontknow.gif

It is a slow stream of water after 4-6 hrs on the water there is enough to trigger the bilge 1-2 times
Edited by WaveMake'nLSV
martinarcher

Right on. A drip every 10 or so seconds is fine, but mine never triggers the bilge pump even after all day on the lake. The second brass nut is a lock nut. Loosen it first, adjust the first nut, tighten the locknut, test the amount of water it lets in.

Just adjusted my packing last weekend for the first time, was easier than I thought.

Found and bought two of these 1 7/8" wrenches off ebay @ $10 each. They are HUGE!

Loosen the skinny nut away from the fat nut about 1/2 turn or more

Tightened the fat nut towards the skinny nut (only 1/8 to 1/4 turn for me)

Tightened the skinny nut back onto the fat nut to lock into place

I went from 2 drips per second to 1 drip per 9 or 10 seconds, problem solved.

I finally ordered one of these from Bakes marine to keep in the boat. It's easy to adjust on the water and get it just right.

post-149-1239655106_thumb.jpg

Just adjusted my packing last weekend for the first time, was easier than I thought.

Found and bought two of these 1 7/8" wrenches off ebay @ $10 each. They are HUGE!

Loosen the skinny nut away from the fat nut about 1/2 turn or more

Tightened the fat nut towards the skinny nut (only 1/8 to 1/4 turn for me)

Tightened the skinny nut back onto the fat nut to lock into place

I went from 2 drips per second to 1 drip per 9 or 10 seconds, problem solved.

Regarding those wrenches, did you have to cut them down in length? My area is very tight, I do not think I could loosen the locking nut if the wrnches are too long.

I just did mine, the biggest issue is having the right tools. I have one of those fancy billet wrenches, the problem I had was that i needed 2 wrenches, 1 to hold the lock nut and I to hold the other bigger one, and the only other thing I had big enough was a pipe wrench. I wrapped the teeth in duct tape to keep from chewing up the brass, nibral, or whatever its made of.

I think those nice billet ones may be too short. Or mine was just too tight.

Regarding those wrenches, did you have to cut them down in length? My area is very tight, I do not think I could loosen the locking nut if the wrnches are too long.

I did not cut mine down (yet) but I have a direct drive and there's nothing to get in the way so I left them as is, plenty of leverage.

The ones from Bakes look nicer but I'm cheap and got 2 for $30 incl shipping versus $60. I may hack them down a bit and round over with a grinder.

I did not cut mine down (yet) but I have a direct drive and there's nothing to get in the way so I left them as is, plenty of leverage.

The ones from Bakes look nicer but I'm cheap and got 2 for $30 incl shipping versus $60. I may hack them down a bit and round over with a grinder.

I have been using two craftsmand adjustable wrenchs and thing get very tight quickly. I think I am going to give your wrenches off ebay a try and cut them down in length. Anyone know what length will work best?
I have been using two craftsmand adjustable wrenchs and thing get very tight quickly. I think I am going to give your wrenches off ebay a try and cut them down in length. Anyone know what length will work best?

You have a direct drive right? Doesn't the panel between the motor box and the back of the boat lift out for full access to the packing nuts? (sorry, not familiar with a 95 sunsetter)

Yup...too much. But it just needs tightening. Basically it is a brass nut threaded on another brass nut, I think. Had the dealer adjust mine...he just did it by "feel" out of the water and never an issue.

If your dealer is close, or an Indmar dealer of any kind...for that matter...it might be worth a call to see if they can do it. I think there may be a special wrench but I know others on this site have done it themselves without issue.

Can be a DIY project without too much issue, with the right stuff.

Surprised someone else hasn't chimed on the thread yet. Dontknow.gif

It is a slow stream of water after 4-6 hrs on the water there is enough to trigger the bilge 1-2 times

i wouldn't trust it done by "feel" without checking in the water. could cause problems.

After an adjustment, make sure you check the shaft temperature afterwards. Can be done by hand, just make sure it does not get hot, that would be too tight. The water drip is to keep the seal and shaft interface lubricated properly (applies to the rope seal version, not the dripless version).