Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Can front ballast be removed and seating restored?

Does anyone know if the front ballast in a late model VLX can be removed and the seating support installed? In other words is it possible to turn a front ballast boat into one without if you happened to want the foot well? Or is a permanent part of the boat removed when the front ballast is installed? I asked Malibu customer service and they didn't give me an answer.

Greg

Every '05-'08 VLX I've ever seen used a deck mold that was specific to whether or not it had bow ballast installed. One person has posted contradictory information to that, but it hasn't been confirmed. I really can't believe Malibu would go to the trouble of creating new deck molds part way through a model cycle because of the added cost, but I could be wrong.

Can you stand in the center of cockpit and take a picture of the bow looking forward through the walkway? We'll be able to confirm for sure with that picture.

My official vote though is no, it can't be swapped in our out after the fact on the VLX. Any other model it can be done no problem.

Does anyone know if the front ballast in a late model VLX can be removed and the seating support installed? In other words is it possible to turn a front ballast boat into one without if you happened to want the foot well? Or is a permanent part of the boat removed when the front ballast is installed? I asked Malibu customer service and they didn't give me an answer.

Greg

Just curious why you wouldn't want the bow ballast? I would love that in my boat.

Every '05-'08 VLX I've ever seen used a deck mold that was specific to whether or not it had bow ballast installed. One person has posted contradictory information to that, but it hasn't been confirmed. I really can't believe Malibu would go to the trouble of creating new deck molds part way through a model cycle because of the added cost, but I could be wrong.

Can you stand in the center of cockpit and take a picture of the bow looking forward through the walkway? We'll be able to confirm for sure with that picture.

My official vote though is no, it can't be swapped in our out after the fact on the VLX. Any other model it can be done no problem.

ski crave- I can confirm that the deck mold changed inlate 06 or 07.. I do not have the bow ballast but I also do not have the molded in seat support system. I.E. I can remove it and add the bow tank with ease. This change from the best we can tell came in late late 06 or early 07. my dealer tried to find out but malibu would not comment. when I get my boat back I will take some pictures. I can say this if your supports are molded in they can not be removed as they are structural..

Just curious why you wouldn't want the bow ballast? I would love that in my boat.

I just bought a new '08 VLX. My partner in the boat wanted a footwell because that's what our current boat has. I was going to go with an integrated bow sack - but in the process of buying our boat, my dealer mentioned the factory will install front ballast right now because things are slow and they are trying to help dealers move boats. He believes this is a unique time and said if I want it, I should have them do it. So, I'm considering having it installed and then removing the tank and reinstalling the seat supports until I can convince my partner the playpen is ok.

My seat supports are just screwed in. The problem is I can't determine what else they are going to do to my boat to install the ballast. I'm hoping any holes cut in the boat are under the seats and not footwell. I was jus wondering if anyone had taken theirs apart. My dealer has a boat to which the ballast was added after manufacturing and I'm going to go check it out next week to see if I can figure out what they did. I also emailed Malibu again for a better anwer and I'll let you know. If things get slow enough, maybe they will offer this modification to retail customers, but as far as we can tell its only for dealers with unsold boats and who are willing to haul the boat to the factory.

Greg

Greg

I'll trade you my '05 VLX without front ballast for your's with front ballast. Thumbup.gif

Get the front ballast, you won't regret it. People can still sit up there and stretch out the same. Better for resale also.

Get the front bow ballasts, playpen is fine, everyone lays on the front seats anyway. Better resale with front Bow ballasts, no messing with aftermarket bags. Front ballasts easily filled with touch of a switch. Bettwr wake formation with front ballasts.

I would get a new partner before I would opt for no front ballasts.

I just bought a new '08 VLX. My partner in the boat wanted a footwell because that's what our current boat has. I was going to go with an integrated bow sack - but in the process of buying our boat, my dealer mentioned the factory will install front ballast right now because things are slow and they are trying to help dealers move boats. He believes this is a unique time and said if I want it, I should have them do it. So, I'm considering having it installed and then removing the tank and reinstalling the seat supports until I can convince my partner the playpen is ok.

My seat supports are just screwed in. The problem is I can't determine what else they are going to do to my boat to install the ballast. I'm hoping any holes cut in the boat are under the seats and not footwell. I was jus wondering if anyone had taken theirs apart. My dealer has a boat to which the ballast was added after manufacturing and I'm going to go check it out next week to see if I can figure out what they did. I also emailed Malibu again for a better anwer and I'll let you know. If things get slow enough, maybe they will offer this modification to retail customers, but as far as we can tell its only for dealers with unsold boats and who are willing to haul the boat to the factory.

Greg

Any idea if "hard" bow ballast can be installed in '08 247 Wakesetter? Any ballpark idea what dealer should charge?

Pete

Yep, it absolutely can. Whether or not a dealer will is a different story. I would guess they will right now with things being as slow as they are.