Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2 questions -

Wax - locally I can buy 3M Marine wax (liquid)- non paste. If I want paste I am going to have to order it. My boat sits in the water all summer although I pull it about once a week to gas up (next question) and wash off. I have gathered the crew to help wax this weekend, but if paste wax is THAT much BETTER then I will order it. Worth the wait or just use liquid? Any other reccomendations as far as brand goes?

Filling her up - man, we all ro-sham-bo to see who is stuck with this task! It is nothing to spend 30 minutes gassing the 'Bu up. It CONSTANTLY burps gas back on the unlucky loser of paper, rock, sizzors. I searched the forum and noticed that there is an aftermarket add on to keep gas (in liquid state) from being burped out of the vent, but if that were my only problem I'd take it; it burps massive amounts of gas out of the fill spout. I could not find a thread on the vent working properly in and of itself. Any insight would be appreciated.

Lakes are almost at summer pool here in the South East and I am ready to get out the drysuit and hit the water again.

Thanks for the insight,

Katie

1996 Sunsetter LX - I don't know if the LX matters or not -

Do a search for "Racor" and you should find several threads on this topic.

Some have found that holding the pump nozzle upside down while filling helps. Personally, I don't hold the nozzle all the way open to fill the tank. I will hold it open about 3/4 of the way and I haven't had any splashback since. I also don't wait on the auto shutoff to shut it down when the tank is full. This feature doesn't seem to work well with our boats.

The Racor isn't going to help with gas coming back up the fill tube..

I find it just takes some paying attention to what you're doing. I fill at 3/4 speed, and listen for the gas to girgle up. If you pay attention you can hear it in the fill tube, and you can hear it coming up when it is getting full.

Not rocket science

I find it just takes some paying attention to what you're doing. I fill at 3/4 speed, and listen for the gas to girgle up. If you pay attention you can hear it in the fill tube, and you can hear it coming up when it is getting full.

Not rocket science

Plus1.gif You might also check that your vent hose is not kinked or plugged. Might be a insect nest in there.

I have a 1999 Sunsetter LXI and is splasher gas out. I use a cloth or the wipes the station has and wrap it around the hose at the tank. I push it down tight to the boat and if any splashes, the wipe or cloth will catch it and not get on the boat.

my .02

TLC

99 response. When filling at a station where the grade is anything but flat, it actually helps alot to have the fill on the up-grade side.

I prefer Paste, and as for the gas splash prob, I agree with SacRiverRat. listen to the fill tube. you can hear when the tank is getting close to full by the sound. I just kind of sucks when your trying to listen and a Harley or loud car or truck pulls up next to you and you can't here a dam thing. Seams to always happen when you know it's getting close to full.

I have a 1999 Sunsetter LXI and is splasher gas out. I use a cloth or the wipes the station has and wrap it around the hose at the tank. I push it down tight to the boat and if any splashes, the wipe or cloth will catch it and not get on the boat.

my .02

TLC

Plus1.gif

I have also installed the Racor mod mentioned above to keep the fuel from burping out the vent.

I have also installed the Racor mod mentioned above to keep the fuel from burping out the vent.

Jerry--last I knew, you didn't have to fill the gas tank on a boat that you never use. . .

Tease2.gif

Hey now, my boat is already on the lift for the summer - put her there last Friday with a fresh coat of wax and a full tank of gas Yahoo.gif - Got my first run of the year already, so you can just :biteme:.

Sure, it may be my last run for a while. But you can just :biteme: anyway.

And did I mention, you can just :biteme:?

If not, :biteme:.

Jerry--last I knew, you didn't have to fill the gas tank on a boat that you never use. . .

Tease2.gif

One could also extrapolate there isn't a need to wax the boat either..... Tease.gif

Not rocket science

It comes up too fast to react using your method. I have 95 sslx and while it mat not be rocket science, it does take a doctorate in hydraulic engineering to fill without spill. I put it into 5 gallon cans and then dump it in the boat as this is twice and maybe 3 times as fast as trying to pump it in directly. I'm hoping the fix for this is in the stimulus plan.

Tease2.gif

One could also extrapolate there isn't a need to wax the boat either..... Tease.gif

Well, I'm not sure on that one, Justin. We wouldn't want his gel oxidizing as it sits in the hoist all summer. Especially because the sun will hit the same place day after day after day.

And Jerry, my boat is in the water as well--so you can bite Justin.

As to the fuel-vent splash. My 03 would sometimes burp as I was running it. Never did get around to the Racor--but I didn't run the boat with more than half a tank usually. If I trailered regularly and needed to start with a full tank, I definitely would have added the separator. Haven't noticed any vent-splash with the 08, though again the tank isn't often above half.

What I've always wondered is why Malibu doesn't just put a loop in the vent hose.

If your problem IS gas coming out the vent - not backing up through the fill - you could give this a try if you don't want to install the Racor.

Tease2.gif

Now Now even if it never moves from the lift It still needs to look as good as possible It's a Bu...... Tease.gif

Wax on Wax off Tease2.gif