Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacing a raw water pump

The Hydro Foiling Plumber

I purchased a new raw water pump from skidim. I compared pricing from the local Malibu dealer, during our conversation the service manager said I should paint the pump prior to mounting the pump.

Is this necessary? If so why?

Also just wanted to let the crew know that I purchased the raw water pump, a full set of spark plugs, fuel filter, v-belt and shipping for the same price that Malibu wanted for just the pump!

I purchased a new raw water pump from skidim. I compared pricing from the local Malibu dealer, during our conversation the service manager said I should paint the pump prior to mounting the pump.

Also just wanted to let the crew know that I purchased the raw water pump, a full set of spark plugs, fuel filter, v-belt and shipping for the same price that Malibu wanted for just the pump!

Do you know what material your raw water pump is made of?

Do you know what material your raw water pump is made of?

The pump is brass, here is the link http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RA057023

I wouldn't bother painting it, it's brass for God's sake.

I did remove the paint from the cover of my pump years ago letting the brass be exposed and it looks just as new as the day I removed the paint. I just wanted to see what was engraved on the cover under the paint.

I wouldn't bother painting it, it's brass for God's sake.

I did remove the paint from the cover of my pump years ago letting the brass be exposed and it looks just as new as the day I removed the paint. I just wanted to see what was engraved on the cover under the paint.

That was my thought exactly....I use brass fittings all the time in the plumbing trade; at different temperatures with no problem.

I just thought that I would throw this out there to see if there was a legitimate reason for painting it!

Maybe the dealer wanted to sell you a special Malibu Marine grade Extreme duty can of gloss black spray paint?

For a legitimate price of course.