Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Debadging rear decal?

davemac

I'm thinking about removing the transom "MALIBU" decal from my boat. It is a little much for me.

In peeling back a corner of one of the letters, there is minimal fading/oxidation, that I assume I can buff out fairly easily.

Are there any other concerns I should be aware of if I should go ahead with this, or should I leave as-is, or possibly replace w/ something more subtle?

Thanks for the feedback.

Dave

post-5162-1238543977_thumb.jpg

It's all in your taste. I did it to my 205 years ago & loved it. Really cleaned things up. It was predominantly black, which is sometimes tough on the fading. But I was able to buff 95% of it out. I don't think you will have any problem at all with white or light grey.

I haven't pulled the trigger on the Malibu decals yet. And their still in very good shape. We'll see how long they last.

I'm thinking about removing the transom "MALIBU" decal from my boat. It is a little much for me.

In peeling back a corner of one of the letters, there is minimal fading/oxidation, that I assume I can buff out fairly easily.

Are there any other concerns I should be aware of if I should go ahead with this, or should I leave as-is, or possibly replace w/ something more subtle?

Thanks for the feedback.

Dave

I personally would leave them on, but if you want to take them off. Heat them up with a heat gun slightly to make it easier to pull off, remove all the left over residue with some alcohol, color sand with some 2000 grit wet and dry sand paper (with water) and buff it out starting with cut to fine paste gel coat polish. You shouldn't be able to tell they were ever on there, I would think this would take about 4-5 hours to do it if you have all the equipment and you really want them off that bad.

Did a little playing with photoshop, hope you dont mind Dave. I think it looks good with or without. Sorry Im not much help LOL

bu_005.jpg

Edited by txdyna65

I was also going to remove my MALIBU decal on the back, same yaer as your boat. I was going to get lettering with the name of the boat put there instead.

If someone would please explain to me how to post a freaking photo I'd post one of the redo the previous owner of my '05 RLXI (the infamous Galaxy Toad - BTW where the hell you been Bill?) to the back of my boat. Removed the large Malibu decal and reinstalled a smaller one inside a stars and stripes kind of decal he found somewhere. Unique and I like it. Bill if you're still out there somewhere, maybe you can post it?

Ed

MalibuNation
If someone would please explain to me how to post a freaking photo I'd post one of the redo the previous owner of my '05 RLXI (the infamous Galaxy Toad - BTW where the hell you been Bill?) to the back of my boat. Removed the large Malibu decal and reinstalled a smaller one inside a stars and stripes kind of decal he found somewhere. Unique and I like it. Bill if you're still out there somewhere, maybe you can post it?

Ed

Ed, I think you need to be a paying member to post pics ... you could post a pic at one of the many public places to post pics and put a link to it here.

replace w/ something more subtle?

Thanks for the feedback.

Dave

Just take it off.

I don't think you could replace it with anything more plain vanilla than the stock "Malibu" maybe just M. Dontknow.gif

Did a little playing with photoshop, hope you dont mind Dave. I think it looks good with or without. Sorry Im not much help LOL

Thanks for the (quality) photoshop, Kenny. That will help out alot w/ my decision.

Thanks for the (quality) photoshop, Kenny. That will help out alot w/ my decision.

Glad I could help a little Dave, good luck with your decision.

Ed

Ed, I think you need to be a paying member to post pics ... you could post a pic at one of the many public places to post pics and put a link to it here.

I'll see if GT can post if for me. Thanks for the info, didn't realize that. It's kinda unique, just another option. Or I could e-mail it to someone to post if anyone's interested, I think GT must be out-of-country.

Ed

Edited by ed obermeier

Thanks Dave. GT's new boat is done in a similar fashion although the decal he used is entirely different. Don't know where he gets them; refugees from a wakeboard boat?? Dontknow.gif