Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Does anyone use treatments for Ethanol in the fuel

I was in my local automotive parts store today and saw this STABIL ethanol treatment for marine use. I have always used the STABIL fuel stabilizer and wonder if I should use this. I use gasline antifreeze occasionally to combat water in the fuel but wonder if this STABIL product might be better or is it just "hype". I read that ethanol in the marine environment is horrible for our boats and want to do whats best. I do use just regular 87 octane in my boat because higher octanes are not as available and truthfully my dealer told me to just use the regular gas. Here's a link to the product I am talking about.

http://www.goboatingmag.com/bbg/DM_view3.asp?id=554

Let me know what you think,

Kevin

I do not use anything in the summer but fuel does not sit in the boat long. I do use Stabil in things that sit or over the winter. How long does it take you to use a tank of fuel?

I believe I have read ethanol attracts moister and holds it.

I have seen good things about it.

I use a product in the pontoon but I foget the name of it. The dealer recommended it because of the fuel break down. I haven't had a problem with it yet.

I use StarTron since my boat sits on a lift in a high humidity environment (use stabil too, figure it can't hurt to use both). I know my Yamaha dealer recommends using both for the outboard.

the ethanaol amount in fuel has increased this year thats why all the recomendations. this new fuel has a ten day shelf life so ive been told also after ten days the fuel seperates and that is were yor problems are. it seems to be blowing motors in like chainsaws,snowmobiles,etc also the fuel is supposed to be loosing its octaine value by like 2 percent.this is what i have been told by afew shops around here.

martinarcher
the ethanaol amount in fuel has increased this year thats why all the recomendations. this new fuel has a ten day shelf life so ive been told also after ten days the fuel seperates and that is were yor problems are. it seems to be blowing motors in like chainsaws,snowmobiles,etc also the fuel is supposed to be loosing its octaine value by like 2 percent.this is what i have been told by afew shops around here.

That might explain my four wheelers pinging issues lately. I'm upping the octane and possibly I should chuck some Stabil in it too......

as soon as the marina I use starts receiving E-10, I will definitely use either Startron or the Stabil Marine product!! Surprisingly, they just told me that they don't expect E-10 this season at this point, but that could change. As has been touched on often before, it is my understanding that "mixing" the two (ethanol and non-ethanol) is a big no no.

Ethanol is the Suck!! My 3 year old Honda snowblower is on its second carburetor, and I just had to have my 3 year old leaf blower repaired, as the ethanol turned all the fuel lines into mush.

http://www.fuel-testers.com/expiration_of_ethanol_gas.html

A short overview. Not good

Nothing helps.

Wow, that's a lot of information to ponder. So I guess I should be buying SUPER instead of "bronze" and not use any additives according to this info provided. I live in Ontario, Canada so I don't know about our testing policies or really anything about ethanol blends, but do know when I buy "bronze" gas at Shell it says "may contain 10% ethanol" and by the sounds of it (according to this info), the STABIL marine ethanol additive may "drive" the water into the fuel causing more problems????if I have read this correctly. This ethanol stuff is just nonsense to me. Why are we allowing our governments to "buy" into this crap, drive our food prices up, and try to mindwash us that it is environmentally friendly. I have read that it takes more energy from all sources to make ethanol that it produces...backwards to me???

I use StarTron since my boat sits on a lift in a high humidity environment (use stabil too, figure it can't hurt to use both). I know my Yamaha dealer recommends using both for the outboard.

X2 with use of star tron!!! I use it in my boats,sleds and a few friends cars when put away for the off season. A friend owns a boat shop and thats all he uses, we winterize over two hundered boats in the fall and for the past four years have never had any carb/ fuel injector/bad gas issues.Stabil is useless with ethonal gas,Napa in my area doesn't even sell it any more because it doesn't work.

That might explain my four wheelers pinging issues lately. I'm upping the octane and possibly I should chuck some Stabil in it too......

make sure it is stabil blue or any marine grade fuel stabilizer.

X2 with use of star tron!!! I use it in my boats,sleds and a few friends cars when put away for the off season. A friend owns a boat shop and thats all he uses, we winterize over two hundered boats in the fall and for the past four years have never had any carb/ fuel injector/bad gas issues.Stabil is useless with ethonal gas,Napa in my area doesn't even sell it any more because it doesn't work.

there is 2 different stabil brands .one is for treatment of ethanol fuels and one is not.

martinarcher

make sure it is stabil blue or any marine grade fuel stabilizer.

Right on. The blue marine grade Stabil is all I keep in my garage!

Indmar has tested and only recommends Sta-Bil with their fuel system, they even send a bloop sheet in every owners packet now talking about ethanol and that stabilizer should be run at every fill up, not so much for the reason of keeping the fuel fresh but for performance reasons since ethanol is a big performance killer.

Stabil 32 oz Large BottleTreats 320 Gallons

Stabil 8 oz Small Bottle Treats 80 Gallons

-Paul

Edited by Bake's Marine

Thought I would send out the info I received from my questions to Indmar and to Shell (Canada). I usually use Shell gas here in Ontario, Canada and only sent the question to them. I have attached both their responses, FYI. To highlight...Indmar says use the Marine Stabil if using up to a 10% ethanol blend and Shell does not suggest using ethanol bases fuels at all for the boat and probably for liability reasons can't suggest the use of Stabil. Check it out.

Kevin

I wouldn't get too exited about using the 10% ethanol fuel. It has been

around for years and really hasn't been much of a problem. The components

in our engines have been tolerant of 10% alcohol for a long time. We use

the Marine STABIL at Indmar and it probably isn't a bad idea to use it

regularly. If I had a choice between alcohol blended fuel and fuelwithout

alcohol, I would use the fuel with no alcohol but if all I could get was

E10 I wouldn't worry about it.

Larry Engelbert

Indmar Service

Thank you for emailing Shell Canada. Currently Shell Canada V-Power gasoline does not contain any ethanol. Shell Canada Bronze gasoline may contain up to 10% ethanol & Shell Canada Silver gasoline may contain up to 5% Ethanol depending upon the location. As per provincial legislation some Shell stations in Southern Ontario do contain ethanol in the Bronze and Silver grades. As you have noticed the sites that sell such fuels are labelled as described above.

Shell Canada's Marina locations (in areas where ethanol is required by legislation) usually only sell V-Power gasoline as Shell does not believe that ethanol containing gasoline are appropriate for marine use.

The issues with the use of ethanol blends in applications such as boats includes solvency concerns, possible phase separation (due to the increased possibility of contact with water), incompatibility with some elastomers and corrosion of metallic components in the fuel system.

Shell Canada's fuels are formulated with our proprietary additive package. They are designed to meet and exceed top tier detergent gasoline requirements. Not all additives are compatible with each other and as such we can not comment on the STA-BIL's product or its compatibility with our gasoline.

Sheldon Schnaar

Technical Helpdesk

Shell Canada Products

400 4th Avenue S.W., Calgary, Alberta T2P 0J4, Canada