Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Placing the order

idahows

Were getting close to placing the order for the new '06 Wakesetter with the diamond hull. Here are the options and colors:

Options

Monsoon 340

Polished Stainless Turn Down Exhaust

Depth Meter

Polished Titan Tower

Tower Mounted Bimini

Ski Rack (others?)

Wakeboard Rack (which one?)

Wedge

Front Ballast (thanks for everyone's input)

4 speakers (no head unit...will add XM/iPod compatible unit later)

2 pr Pull up cleats (installed at the shop, higher than the factory placement)

Pop up Bow Light

Dual batteries with isolator switch

Heater - Two outlet

Hot water shower

Driver's Seat Heater

Extreme T/A trailer w/brakes

Swing Away Tongue

Spare Tire Bracket with Wheel & Tire

Rankin Cover

Exterior

Deck Base: Moonbeam

Hull Base: Moonbeam

Hull Main: Ebony

Hull Accent: Regal

Deck Accent: Regal

Deck Accent 2: Regal

Deck Main: Ebony

Swim Step: Charcoal

In the picture of the WakeWorld boat you can see 6 different lines in the gelcoat pattern starting with Hull Accent (yellow line at the water level), ours will be Regal (Red). Next is Hull Main, the large black section up to the rub rail, ours will be black too. Next is Deck Main which is charcoal on the WW boat and will be black on our boat. The next two lines on the WW boat are black and yellow, ours will be red. Hopefully this will turn out well, it really combines the 2 patterns that Malibu is offering this year and I would have actually preferred a simpler, toned down offering (must be getting old). Let me know your thoughts on this (if you can visualize what it might look like).

Interior

Base: Moonbeam

Main: Lt. Graphite

Accent 1: Regal

Carpet: Sterling

Bead: Charcoal

Dash Base: Graphite Base

Dash Accent: Lt. Graphite

Interior hasn't really changed from 05 that I can spot...here is what it would look like (I think this is just like Boomer's if I'm not mistaken and hopefully he's flattered and not offended):

Let me know your thoughts,

Thanks,

David

Edited by idahows

Great choice!

Rockon.gif

But I would go for the 3-outlet heater!

It is worth the (small) upcharge, believe me!

The driver's seat heater is IMO a WOM.

Which platform did you choose?

(The fiberglass one is bigger than the teak swimstep.)

And be aware that the black celcoat is a PITA to keep clean!

It will show stains, dings, scratches, and water spots like no other color.

It looks great though!

Have fun!

One more thing:

Light Graphite is IMO to dark to use it as the large interior main-section!

I have it as 2nd accent in my Response and when I ordered it, it looked much lighter than it came. In reality it looks even slightly brownish. Go for Moonbeam base and main!!

Just my 2 Cents.

Here you can see the Light Graphite accent in my Response.

Edited by Chaabo
One more thing:

Light Graphite is IMO to dark to use it as the large interior main-section!

I have it as 2nd accent in my Response and when I ordered it, it looked much lighter than it came. In reality it looks even slightly brownish. Go for Moonbeam base and main!!

Just my 2 Cents.

Here you can see the Light Graphite accent in my Response.

I'm not sure if I agree I like the look of Light Graphite but it does get very hot towels are a must.

Speed control is standard, so Perfect Pass isn't needed. As for the heated seat, I disagree. I've got it in my current boat & it was high on the list of must-haves for this boat. It makes for a happy driver, especially on our cool NW days. I do agree on the 3 outlet heater, it isn't much more & a great way to have 2 outlets on the feet (make sure that the third outlet is the snorkel tube for passengers). For racks, any of the Titans or the Wakeside Battle Rack are good quality - if you need to drop the tower, you'll have to get the lift-off option. I played with the WS Battle Rack at our dealer & that rack positively dripped with quality, & the lift off was very solid while being easy to use. How is your clearance for getting the boat in the garage? Low-rider option on the trailer?

Other than the Hammerhead, it looks very similar to our options list. :)

I definitely like it. Rockon.gif

You'll love the interior colors if you leave it that way. Against the dark hull, the moonbeam looks very light. The gray shows WAY, WAY, did I mention WAY less dirt. I'm stunned how easy it is to keep my seats clean with this color combo.

Yeah it gets hot in the TX sun, but any color vinyl does, I can't tell the difference. A splash or towel and it's fine.

You can see the colors in my factory photos, http://community.webshots.com/user/zboomer39

I really need more interior shots. In real life it looks lighter than the pics, and my dealer commented on how great it looked. They order most of theirs with white and moonbeam. Another guy a couple months ago ordered the same combo and he too loves it.

Great choice!

Rockon.gif

It looks great though!

Have fun!

From what I understand, the 3 outlet heater places 2 outlets at the driver's feet and the 3rd is the snorkel tube. I've read here that the output diminishes to the snorkel tube with 3 outlet version, am I understanding this correctly?

Regarding the seat heater, that's disappointing to hear that it doesn't work well. What are other's experience?

I forgot to include the fiberglass swim platform in my option list. Hopefully there won't be any bleeding issues with the black rubber that I've read about here. Does anyone know if this is still an issue?

I tried to talk the CFO out of black gelcoat but I lost that one (typical). I appreciate the warning but I'm afraid I'm stuck with it. I tried to get the colors reversed, but (you know the story).

Thanks for the input!

I've got the black hull on my Response Lxi and I haven't had any trouble at all keeping it clean. Just wipe it down with Babe's Boat Bright when you're done and it will look great.

I've got the same colors on mine and am very happy with it. It definitely turns heads at the docks.

From what I understand, the 3 outlet heater places 2 outlets at the driver's feet and the 3rd is the snorkel tube.  I've read here that the output diminishes to the snorkel tube with 3 outlet version, am I understanding this correctly?

I have the 3 outlet with 2 outlets at the drivers feet and 1 snorkel that comes out in the aisle way of my LXi. I would like to have a second snorkel that comes out at the base of the passenger seat. Has anyone got one set up like this? The snorkel is stretched pretty tight by the time it gets to the passenger seat, so we only use it in the bow - and then the users are sitting in the wind.

Sorry for the Hi-jack

I have the 3 outlet (2 under the dash w/snorkel in the hall). I've never had a problem with it not being effective, although the entire system does cool down a bit at idle. It also sounds like I've got a longer snorkel tube than you do, mrothwell, because the length is just fine for the observer. You may want to check if there's a longer one available, or even if yours is just getting hung up on something. To have a separate tube that comes out under the observer's seat would require that you put in another heater on that side of the boat. Not impossible, but a lot of work.

I have the 3-outlet heater (rarely needed in SC, but HIGHLY appreicated when it is needed).

I had the factory swap out one of the driver foot vents to be another snorkel - which is great, becuase, while its nice for the feet to be warm, its even better if the driver can get a snorkel to their body and so can the passenger (with the snorkel from the walkway).

JZ

PS, I have the closed cooling, so heat even at idle is not an issue. Tongue.gif

Has anyone had any experience with this new speed control that Malibu offers? I have heard that the MC speed control has a lot of problems holding speed and always needs reset. I also remember the early days of PP and all the problems that could occur. I think I'd be a little weary of this system in it's first year. Anyone used it yet?

From what I understand, the 3 outlet heater places 2 outlets at the driver's feet and the 3rd is the snorkel tube.  I've read here that the output diminishes to the snorkel tube with 3 outlet version, am I understanding this correctly?

I have the 3 outlet with 2 outlets at the drivers feet and 1 snorkel that comes out in the aisle way of my LXi. I would like to have a second snorkel that comes out at the base of the passenger seat. Has anyone got one set up like this? The snorkel is stretched pretty tight by the time it gets to the passenger seat, so we only use it in the bow - and then the users are sitting in the wind.

Sorry for the Hi-jack

Check out what SacRiverRat did with his snorkel hose. He had to have it replaced and put in an extra long hose that reaches all the way back to the back seat. I'm thinking about doing that as my hose is starting to show some wear and may need to be replaced.

I tried to talk the CFO out of black gelcoat but I lost that one (typical).  I appreciate the warning but I'm afraid I'm stuck with it.  I tried to get the colors reversed, but (you know the story).

Hey man, if you like the way the black looks, keep it. Yes, it's a little more work, but worth it. I just wipe my boat down every time I pull her out with 50/50 water/vinegar, and the black stays spotless.

Yes, it will show scratches more, but DAMN it looks nice. :)

If you are married and want to stay that way when boarding during the winter, GET THE SEAT HEATER. Besides I think Malibu is the only one to offer that option so take advantage. 340 Monsoon is plenty of power, the Hammerhead is a thirsty beast! Moonbeam gets significantly hotter in the sun. Finally, black is a PITA when you go houseboating!, you can't just wipe it down with babe's and not expect there to be a tremendous amount of tough water stains on the hull.

Regarding the heater: If you can get 2 snorkels for the cabin vs the driver, I think you'll be happy. In fact, if youreally plan on cold weather riding.... I saw a factory boat that had the heater under the passenger seat, w/ 3 snorkels. :)

Personally, I had the normal 3 outlet on my 04 (2 under dash 1 snorkel on side) and wasn't that impressed. So much so, that we passed on it in the 05.

If you are married and want to stay that way when boarding during the winter, GET THE SEAT HEATER.  Besides I think Malibu is the only one to offer that option so take advantage.  340 Monsoon is plenty of power, the Hammerhead is a thirsty beast!  Moonbeam gets significantly hotter in the sun.  Finally, black is a PITA when you go houseboating!, you can't just wipe it down with babe's and not expect there to be a tremendous amount of tough water stains on the hull.

I disagree on the HH. It gets a lot better mileage than I expected. We used the hell out of it on Oroville @ COW and I only needed one fill up.

Here is also a statement regarding the HH 383 fuel consumption from Wakeworld, "One weekend we ran the boat for two days, but it certainly wasn't going all day. We probably ran it for about four or five multi-person runs each day. I thought for sure that I was about to run out of gas because it had been on empty for a while. However, the next time I went to fill it up, it only took 30 gallons. Since it's got a 46 gallon tank, that means I still had about 1/3 of a tank of gas left. So that was some pretty efficient fuel consumption, especially considering that we're running the 383 HP Hammerhead engine. As we use it more and the boat gets broken in properly, we'll have a better idea of how far a tank of gas will take us."

As for cleanup on black....I tried to keep my boat clean during our HB trip @ Oroville. It didn't happen. Major clean up. So far my black main has faired pretty well. It has a good ploymer wax down, plus gets a wipe down w/ either Babes or Meguires quick detail. The black survived Havasu in 120`F which is the "water spot capital".

Check out what SacRiverRat did with his snorkel hose. He had to have it replaced and put in an extra long hose that reaches all the way back to the back seat. I'm thinking about doing that as my hose is starting to show some wear and may need to be replaced.

I used Heatercraft's double wide core with 2 fans on it. It has 3 outlets on the back & then I split 2 of the outlets. Under the spotter's seat I installed 2 snorkels, one 3'er aimed towards the driver & another 6'er aimed towards the back...... that reaches the back seat. Then I ran one to the driver's feet & one to each side of the dash as a defogger. The system works like a champ! I get heat from all the vents. The defogger vents are closeable so I'm not wasting heat once the windshield is clear.

Also, get the Y adapter from SKIDIM so that you can use the heater when the engine is at idle RPM. It uses the raw water pump in the bilge instead of the engine pump..... which is a much higher volume pump.

• 5 weeks later...
Great choice!

Rockon.gif

It looks great though!

Have fun!

From what I understand, the 3 outlet heater places 2 outlets at the driver's feet and the 3rd is the snorkel tube. I've read here that the output diminishes to the snorkel tube with 3 outlet version, am I understanding this correctly?

Regarding the seat heater, that's disappointing to hear that it doesn't work well. What are other's experience?

I forgot to include the fiberglass swim platform in my option list. Hopefully there won't be any bleeding issues with the black rubber that I've read about here. Does anyone know if this is still an issue?

I tried to talk the CFO out of black gelcoat but I lost that one (typical). I appreciate the warning but I'm afraid I'm stuck with it. I tried to get the colors reversed, but (you know the story).

Thanks for the input!

We have a spray date of 10/18 Yahoo.gif which means probably a 11/15 or so delivery! There won't be much skiing or wakeboarding with the new boat this year but I bet we get it broke in before storing it for a few months this winter. We did remove the black gelcoat except for a couple small accents (see my avatar for a general idea) and we added the power wedge after seeing what it does for the 247! I'll keep you posted as pictures come in...

David