Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rudder question 1991 Euro F3

My steering started getting hard last year and I have been trying to isolate the problem using posts on this site. Great info! I have disconnected the steering cable and it moves with relative ease, but I will probably still replace since it is a little tight. The primary problem seems to be the rudder, it is almost impossible to turn by hand.

I cannot locate any grease fittings on the rudder assembly so I'm guessing it needs to be removed and cleaned out. Can someone describe the correct method to remove and reinstall the rudder. Also, which parts should I replace?

Thanks!

i replaced my floor last season and took the rudder apart. There is not much to it. You just need to remove the nuts and the key and the rudder slides right out. If on the trailer you will need to carefully jack up the boat in order to get rudder fully out. As far as replacing parts you can replace the packing that is in there and then just inspect and clean the parts before re-installing.

My steering started getting hard last year and I have been trying to isolate the problem using posts on this site. Great info! I have disconnected the steering cable and it moves with relative ease, but I will probably still replace since it is a little tight. The primary problem seems to be the rudder, it is almost impossible to turn by hand.

I cannot locate any grease fittings on the rudder assembly so I'm guessing it needs to be removed and cleaned out. Can someone describe the correct method to remove and reinstall the rudder. Also, which parts should I replace?

Thanks!

I have the same boat. If you pull the rear seat up and look below you will see 2 grease fittings towards the bottom, those have to ALWAYS be greased at all times, I check it everytime I take the boat out. Keep in mind those fittings also act as a seal to keep water out.

Thanks!

I have the same boat. If you pull the rear seat up and look below you will see 2 grease fittings towards the bottom, those have to ALWAYS be greased at all times, I check it everytime I take the boat out. Keep in mind those fittings also act as a seal to keep water out.

I'm facing the same problem with my Echelon. I was able to get grease in the bottom fitting, but the top one is seized up. Frustrating...

Edited by DIE2SURF

Rudder zirc fittings hardly take any grease, in fact if you over fill it will grease it will make your steering even worse.

To remove the rudder you need to remove the tiller arm off the off of the rudder boats, take a look at the picture of the rudder here: Malibu Adjustable Rudder

You will need to remove the two zirc grease fittings, remove the tiller arm bolt, drop the rudder down (you will probably need to lift the back of the boat off the trailer or slide it back so the rudder doesn't hit the trailer. Clean all the grease out and start over.

Sometimes if you remove the zirc fitting it will pop off because there is so much pressure built up from your grease gun. Sometimes just that will free up your rudder again

hope this helped

-Paul

Paul, doesn't removing the grease fittings apply only to removing the rudder box from the boat? I don't believe you need to remove them to pull the rudder out of the box (housing)?